Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swimming, Heart Rate data collection

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Any updates on its ability/inability to record Heart Rate in water and/or buffer and send out of water at the end of session ?

I have my iphone 7plus in belt while swimming, and I am looking for THE LATEST smartwatch/tracker that will send live/buffered from wrist watch

Best Answer
49 REPLIES 49

@Pd1972 wrote:
Wonder how ionic does in open water?

I used to swim long sessions of 2.5-3k but was finding it boring and never
saw much improvement. Short sets work loads better.

Jury is still out... As a watch it's great and probably is as a fitness
tracker but I do miss having some of the granular metrics. Notifications,
music and wallet don't really work for me so will be keeping a close eye on
the 45day return window. On the plus side- have barely charged it and love
the display and sleep tracking; works well when cycling- off for a run soon
to test intervals.

How are you finding it?

I’m going to wait on the Black Friday sale. I’m going to let the community be my beta testers. 

Best Answer

Hi there! Did you put your Ionic in swim mode or did you just start your swim workout and it auto recognized you were swimming? 

I read that ionic doesn’t measure one’s heart rate in while it is in swim mode, at least for me it did not, however, other users have stated measured their heart rate when it “auto-recognized” that they were swimming. I haven’t had the chance to test the latter example. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
My Ionic won't auto recognise anything! I manually started a swim session.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've always manually put it in swim mode and this am was the first time it mentioned heart rate, but it only happened for a short period.  I have also been having problems with it exiting exercise mode while I am swimming and I can't figure out why.  I am guessing that I am hitting buttons somehow.   What is more frustrating is that it doesn't always count my laps accurately.  In fact, in four swims so far I haven't had an accurate lap count yet.  

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  I was disappointed to not have my heart rate monitored, but not counting my laps accurately (with gps on) is not worth the money...  

Best Answer

sumthntodo

Interesting and frustrating stuff...

I just hope that with this community blog being on the Fitbit site, a Fitbit rep is reviewing feedback.

Lets hope us community members can help you and Fitbit drive improvement.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't think optical HRM on the wrist is very accurate when swimming, for perspective read this article:

https://www.wareable.com/smartwatches/apple-watch-series-3-vs-fitbit-ionic-swimming

Swimming chest straps that store HR work well (I've used Wahoo TickrX), however the Ionic doesn't support chest straps.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

several things I learned from Having tried on Ionic's swimming mode.

1, automatic tracking contains HR, but I cannot sure whether it is accurate or not. And you need to adjust pool length manually. The speed is not accurate as well.

2, swimming mode doesn't not have HR data, it's wiped out totally. But it's more accurate in determining how fast you swim. On swimming mode I swim average 2'25"/100m for 59 mins, while the number is 4'21"/100m for 55 mins next day I tried on automatic tracking. 

3, my suggestion is during swimming mode, at least record HR data for daily overview, adding in swim style and water temperature, so that the calculation can be more accurate when the HR as the additional effort can be added up to total energy consumption.

Cheers

Best Answer

I am a competitive swimmer and am 4 months pregnant. I actually purchased this product to help me track my heart rate in the water as I have found that I think I tend to go too hard whilst pregnant and I wanted to see what the data told me. This watch does not track HR in the water and unless you swim continuously, the “swim” times are inaccurate during a normal interval workout (like a Masters team).  It keeps running while you are at the wall. It does not calculate laps while kicking with a board, either.  Your arms have to be in motion for it “count” the laps.  Beyond that, make sure to switch between short course and long course if you need to.  It only gives readouts (so far) in yards.  It is reasonably accurate in regards to time/distance if you swim continuously. It’s certainly not perfect. I’m disappointed about the HR, but so far, am happy with the watch. We’ll see. All my Fitbits have broken <1 year, so this is my last shot for them. 

Best Answer

I have the ionic and although I can’t actually see my heartrate whilst swimming, I can see what it was on the app. The HR feature does not stop working in water for me unless I turn it off. 

Best Answer

I used theticonic to tracktmy swimming last night and discdiscov that it didn't track my heart rate.  I called fitbit and they told me thst the heart rate function is fisabldi during swimming.  That explains why fitbit says I  only burned 202calories in 32 minutes of lap swimming!  I'm prettypsure i burn more sitting on my couch for 32 miminut... The cuscustom service person told me that fitbit has a calculation that deterdeter the calories burned, obviously that isnt very good.  Ive since returned the iconic and am looking at switching to garmin.  After 2 hours of research on the topic, I'v learned that all wrist devices disable the HR function in water.  At least garmin clearly states that on their product description .. Fitbit is misleading.  Garmin does offer a chest strap that pairs with waterproof wrist devices.  Im very disappointed in fitbit and feel mislead.

Best Answer

I simply cannot make the Ionic count lengths properly, no matter what settings/resets/fw update are in place. I took it for a swim today along my "other" watch, check results for yourselves. The "other" didn't miss a single pool lap out of the 50 i did. Oh yeah, it measured HR as well...

Best Answer

I wish all fitness tracker companies would just be honest. The only way to properly track heart rate while swimming is to have a chest strap. The water interferes the with smart watch while sumerged. I would purchase a chest strap heart rate monitor that works with with ionic. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you.  I ended up returning the iconic and I bought a garmin and a chest strap.  It works beautifully! 
Best Answer

I too am disappointed with the disabling of the HR during the proper swim mode. I'll try to see if the automatic recognition turns on correctly in my swim tomorrow, but I've got my doubts as I do set training in the pool and not just continuous swimming.

If the tracking and HR doesn't work then I'll have to send it back and return to my Polar M600, which does a pretty good job with HR (from the wrist).

People who suggest that chest straps are great for swimming aren't male or swim in pools, as they are useless if you turn, push off or do any swimming, as they just move around and slide down which gets in the way.

I do hope Fitbit enable the HR during swimming, which you can accept may not be fully accurate, but if you do set training there's time between each rep where the pulse should register ok, and you can use it for information.

Best Answer

For me the average HR given is only the HR when you start the session.

HR record is not avalaible when swimming.

it is not pertinent to show the average HR

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have swum with my new ionic twice now, with Swim auto-detect enabled.  Version 27.32.10.20.  The first time was when I discovered that the Fitbit what was monitoring my heart rate so accurately on land was giving super-slow HR when I swam, like the upper 70s when my HR was really 110-130.  And then it computed my calories based on that low heart rate, thus super-low, etc.

That’s when I started going through all these online discussions about it, and found the “fine print” warning about HR measurement not operational.  Had that warning been more prominent, I would not have bought one in the first place.

But... I also saw a couple of suggestions to tighten the strap when HR is not recording right.  So before sending my Ionic back for a refund, today I tightened my strap about 3 notches tighter than yesterday, so the band was Very Snug, but not cutting off circulation, and... The HR recording was spot on accurate for over an hour!  Workout HR history and calories burned were all reasonable numbers!  So if you don’t hear from me again, give it a try. (tightening the strap as much as you can without cutting off circulation).  Oh yeah, loosen the strap after your swim workout, of course.

Finally, the workout reported distance was in meters, but was accurate to 1-3% in distance swum (which I keep track of anyway), I.e. using your arms.  Kicking with arms motionless (board or no board, fins or no fins) Is apparently not picked up for distance, which is a documented shortcoming, and hopefully Fitbit fixes some day.  But if you are doing an organized workout, you almost certainly have the exact distance on hand, so just go edit your workout and put in the correct distance in.  If you are swimming open water, then swim, keeping your arms moving.

One other thought on establishing good contact between wrist and tracker:  if you have really hairy arms (not my problem), consider shaving the area under your watch sensors.

Happy Swimming!

Best Answer

Great feedback summary.

Yes searching for information on HR capturing during swimming was not easy for me, and yes, if wearables made it clear that they have/have-not the ability to record/not-record swimming HR would help !

Have you tried any other watches/trackers with swimming HR recording ?

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
I ended up buying a Garmin Forerunner 935 and the Swim Heart Rate monitor strap.  The strap captures my actual heart rate perfectly!   I'm very happy with this watch!
Best Answer

I have made do with my Fitbit.  My husband’s Apple Watch does great in the water, FYI. Records strokes, kick sets, heart rate, and distance accurately.  I am hoping the birthday fairy brings me one of those as it is a far superior product.  In general, I like my Fitbit (very helpful in tracking sleep with a newborn), but it is lousy for swimming.   It’s strength remains “steps” and overall motion detection.  Works pretty well for running, but it has some major drawbacks for those that want to use it for intervals, swimming, cycling, etc...

Best Answer

So is the Apple watch fully recording HR during swimming from the watch ?

Cheapest price I can see, without cellular, in UK is: £254.99

https://www.tobydeals.co.uk/en_GB/catalogsearch/result/?q=Apple+Watch+Series+3+

Best Answer
0 Votes