Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCX - The file is empty error!

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I use Fitbit Ionic and recently did a Treadmill Running activity. I've got two problems,

1) Ever since the update ionic is not directly uploading my activities to strava.

2) Whenever I download the activity as a TCX file and try to upload it on Strava, it gives an error that "The File Is Empty". I opened the TCX file and it looks like follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<TrainingCenterDatabase xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrainingCenterDatabase/v2">

<Activities>

<Activity Sport="Other">

<Id>2018-06-01T13:15:45.000+05:00</Id>

<Creator xsi:type="Device_t" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<Name>Fitbit Ionic</Name>

<UnitId>0</UnitId>

<ProductID>0</ProductID>

</Creator>

</Activity>

</Activities>

</TrainingCenterDatabase>

Please help as I am not sure what to do here.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@UmerJaved unfortunately Fitbit doesn't support exporting non-GPS tracked activities. I believe your treadmill run was tracked without GPS.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

@UmerJaved unfortunately Fitbit doesn't support exporting non-GPS tracked activities. I believe your treadmill run was tracked without GPS.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

My walk which the GPS was on my Ionic, did the same thing. So it sounds like a fitbit issue.

Best Answer

Same problem.  Wow this is ridiculous.   Fitbit has always said "it's your data take it! do what you want with it!"

... but you can't take treadmill data?!?!

I've had too many problems with my ionic to learn this now. 

Best Answer

Ridiculous is an understatement. It took me an hour with tech support to find this out. They should be aware of it and make it very clear. Between the Ionic sync issues and this, I wonder what is next?

FitBit, is there any plans to fix this bug?

Best Answer

@BilgeRatPDX it doesn't seem to be a bug but the way Fitbit designed and implemented that. I wouldn't expect any update anytime soon. Pity, because there is similar issue related to Strava (non-GPS activities cannot be synced).

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found a working answer on this thread: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/ratings/ratingdetailpage/message-uid/4821622/rating-system/forum_sol...

It says, "It is actually possible to export the data in TCX format but it requires jumping through a couple of hoops. First you need to export the workout using the Fittostrava website. You will need to connect it to your Fitbit and Stava accounts (it uses Fitbit APIs) and allow it some permissions. It will then export the data to Strava where you will then be able to export/download as a TCX file."

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone.

Currently there is a voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches. For more information, please visit our web page at help.fitbit.com/ionic.

I wanted to let you know that I'm going to close this thread to keep the Community organized and prevent any confusion. 

Have a great rest of your day.

Best Answer
0 Votes