Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TONS of exact-same-blocks of steps, sleeping while wearing the Ionic?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Outside of my "gross inaccuracy" issues (typically > 50 BPM average, while riding and some other activities, over 2-4 hours, hmm...), now I'm getting "giant chunks" of steps, at night, while wearing the watch.

They all begin at midnight, or 0:00, and all have 15 minute logged blocks, of exactly the same length (for a given night).

For example, on 9/20, beginning at 0:00, I have 15 minute blocks of exactly 255 steps, until 5:30 AM, racking up 15k steps, while I slept (again, with the watch on my wrist, also tracking my sleep).

It's done this for 6 nights now, in a row, one night racking up 15.5k steps, again in exact blocks, again in 255 step increments every 15 minutes, another night was 155 increments (all exactly the same).

FitBit support says there's no way to remove them, and if I go to the dashboard, I can see where it thinks I took a "4.5-5.5 hour walk" each time, but when I click on the Activity, it just says "error.", that's it, all lower-case, and no other data on the linked page.

They escalated it, but my recent "escalation experience" has been ridiculous, unfortunately.  They "brushed off" the fact my HRM activites are 40-55 BPM off on average, saying that that was more or less "normal", yeah...

Has anyone else seen this?  I do know about the issue where it can do this, if left on a nightstand or similar, with a fan running (although I don't understand why it counts the steps when the HR is zero, indicating it's not being worn, you'd think).

I like the FitBit UI "experience", but this Ionic deal has got me looking around, seeing who's actually accurate, durable, and will import at least almost-all my data.
I'd like to stay a FB customer, somehow, ideally, but I'm just not seeing it, with the way support is, right now (and obviously the device issue)...

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Is the Fitbit near a vibration source like a fan, dehumidifier, or even a computer CPU? It can see the vibration as steps and add false steps.

You can enter a driving record to get rid of them

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Can-I-delete-data

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Nope, the nearest thing like that would be a heat vent, maybe 10 feet away, behind a (usually partially closed) door.  I don't have any fans, etc, on my nightstand.

Plus, the watch is on my wrist, and probably under the bed-clothes, most of the night.

AND, the steps are all equal amounts, every segment is exactly the same, like 455, 425, 245, LOTS of 15 minute blocks, 12-5:30, and ALL the same EXACT length.

Yeah, I get that I can "overwrite" them with another activity, but that's just a DB mess...

I turned the Ionic off for now, and went back to my "limping along" Charge2, at least it never counts steps for me in the middle of the night.

Since the vendor refunded me, and doesn't want it, I'll probably just leave it in a drawer, until the next firmware update, or give it away, it's so really usable anyway, if you see my other posts about the (WAY off) HRM and the fact it wants to update itself, over-and-over.  Right now my calorie counts for riding are off by about 45-55%, compared to an actual HRM strap measurement, so it was becoming just a "step counter", mostly.  That's broken now too though, apparently, which is unfortunate...

I'm probably at the end of being a FB customer, also unfortunately; I really think they have fantastic auto-detect algorithm and the UI is top-notch (I'm a s/w and h/w boundary engineer, so I'm a bit picky like this).

I was recommending FB to everyone, until my 1st Ionic that I returned 01/18, after it had all the Bluetooth issues, not so much since-then...

I hope CS gets back to me with some explanation/fix, as to why I have 20-25 EXACTLY EVEN blocks of these steps, at midnight, nightly, but I bet they blow it off, from my recent experience with them...

Best Answer
0 Votes