Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time zones on Ionic when traveling

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Will Ionic automatically change time as time zones change? If not, how do I change the time on my Ionic as the time zones change?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and format. 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hey there @wtksk8r, it's nice to see you here! I agree with my friend @wtksk8r. Check if you have the automatic time zone enabled in the settings of the phone, if not, I suggest turning that option on so the Fitbit App can pick up the information from the Internet and set the time in an automatic way.

Additionally, check if the automatic time zone is also set in your Fitbit App. Here are the steps:

1. Go to the Settings in your phone and tap on General:

Settings - general iOS.PNG

2. Select the Date & Time option and verify that the Automatic time is on:

General - Date.time.PNG

Date.Time automatic.PNG

3. Go to the Fitbit app and tap on Account, then scroll down and select Advance Settings, there you'll find the option to set the Automatic time:

Advance settings - iOS - Fitbit app.PNG

Automatic timezone - iOS Fitbit app.PNG

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend trying to update the time zone online by going to https://www.fitbit.com/settings/profile. Don't forget to sync after you change, maybe this helps to update the time on your app and tracker. 

When traveling, keep in mind the following information:

• Most trackers store up to 7 days of detailed minute-by-minute data. If you wait longer than 7 days before syncing, you may only see the most recent week's detailed data.
  • Summary data (calories, distance, steps, and floors) will be stored for 30 days. If your tracker measures heart rate, summary heart rate data will be stored as well. 

You can designate one time zone as "home base", and only sync while in that time zone (as has been mentioned, the tracker can hold a week's worth of data.) This would ensure that there are 24 hours in a day, though the times on travelling workouts will be off, but the data will be consistent.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need further help! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

The setting for time zone is in the app. On the dashboard tap on the upper right (the icon that looks like a document) which brings you to the account page. scroll down to 'advanced settings' and tap that. you should then see the switch for auto or manual time zone setting.

While your Fitbit charges or you just want to catch your breath, join us on the Lifestyle Discussions

Community Council Member

Warren | Cincinnati, OH

Versa Lite, Ionic, Charge3, Inspire HR, Blaze(retired), Alta( retired),- Pixel 3

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hey there @wtksk8r, it's nice to see you here! I agree with my friend @wtksk8r. Check if you have the automatic time zone enabled in the settings of the phone, if not, I suggest turning that option on so the Fitbit App can pick up the information from the Internet and set the time in an automatic way.

Additionally, check if the automatic time zone is also set in your Fitbit App. Here are the steps:

1. Go to the Settings in your phone and tap on General:

Settings - general iOS.PNG

2. Select the Date & Time option and verify that the Automatic time is on:

General - Date.time.PNG

Date.Time automatic.PNG

3. Go to the Fitbit app and tap on Account, then scroll down and select Advance Settings, there you'll find the option to set the Automatic time:

Advance settings - iOS - Fitbit app.PNG

Automatic timezone - iOS Fitbit app.PNG

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend trying to update the time zone online by going to https://www.fitbit.com/settings/profile. Don't forget to sync after you change, maybe this helps to update the time on your app and tracker. 

When traveling, keep in mind the following information:

• Most trackers store up to 7 days of detailed minute-by-minute data. If you wait longer than 7 days before syncing, you may only see the most recent week's detailed data.
  • Summary data (calories, distance, steps, and floors) will be stored for 30 days. If your tracker measures heart rate, summary heart rate data will be stored as well. 

You can designate one time zone as "home base", and only sync while in that time zone (as has been mentioned, the tracker can hold a week's worth of data.) This would ensure that there are 24 hours in a day, though the times on travelling workouts will be off, but the data will be consistent.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need further help! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Hi Thanks

I have done all that; and still I changed time zones this weekend and it would still not find the  right time on the watch, even tho my iPhone was correct. I tried syncing which has seemed to work in the past, but did not this time. For some reason it is not changing the time on the watch but oddly the fit bit app said the name of the right time zone in settings.

If anyone has any other suggestions would love to hear them, although currently I have no plans to change time zones until after the holidays. So it will be a while before I can test it.

🙂

Thanks to the community!

Peggy

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Pegisuz I hope you're doing well! Thanks for taking the time to try all of the steps provided on this thread in order to sort this out. Thanks for sharing the details about this situation with the different time zones.

In this case, I'd recommend changing the clock face on your watch. This could help you out as everything is showing correct on the app and phone. It then could be the clock face.

Try this out and let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ok I’ll try that.
Do you mean change clock face now or when I get to new time zone?
Thanks

Peggy
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Pegisuz Thanks for your reply!

You could try changing it now if you really need the watch to show the selected time zone time. If the time zone settings on the Fitbit app are set correctly to the time zone you want the watch to show; it should reflect it once it syncs with the new clock face. 

Let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Putting this out there for anyone with tome zone, time change issue. I was syncing fitbit with phone, but it waan't using wifi. Once wifi the connection was secure, then ot synced and the time changed. This might help someone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It seems that Fit-bit have not put much priority on being able to change the time zone and correct the time the watch is displaying, even when it is synced multiple times with several devices that have all been able to switch. It just took 18 hours and over 30 sync attempts with phone, tablet and laptop before mine corrected itself.  That is the longest I have ever experienced.  It can make the watch almost useless for timekeeping on a business trip as you have to keep verifying it against something else to ensure you know the real local time as you never know when the watch is going to catch up........

Best Answer

Thanks for the information keep sharing such informative post keep suggesting such post.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone, and welcome to our new members.

Currently there is a voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches. For more information, please visit our webpage at help.fitbit.com/ionic.

I wanted to let you know that I'm going to close this thread to keep the Community organized and prevent any confusion. 

Have a great rest of your day.

Best Answer
0 Votes