Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many resource problems

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I purchased and setup my first Fitbit Ionic yesterday.

Problem #1 - I chose the Ionic because it has GPS on board eliminating the need for running GPS/Location radio on the phone it will sync with. The GPS/location radio is a battery hog on cell phones. The Fitbit application still requires GPS/location turned on, on the phone before it will sync.

Problem #2 - To eliminate using the cell phone altogether, I downloaded and installed the Windows application to sync the phone with a PC. It turns out that the Windows application download is just a stub to create a Microsoft Store account, and download the application from the Microsoft Store.

Problem #3 - Why does the Fitbit Ionic require Bluetooth, GPS, and Wifi to sync? Three network connections just to sync is ridiculous.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

The need to have location services enabled to sync is a requirement that google introduced. See the following help file for more information on this: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2134/

There is more than one option on the PC download site. The default, as you say, is to download the app but you can specify "PC" and download the fitbit connect software instead. Unfortunately, to use this you will need a fitbit wireless dongle that doesn't come with the ionic.

When you sync you take data from the fitbit and upload it to the fitbit servers. So, you need bluetooth on for the phone to connect to the fitbit, you need wifi (or mobile data) to connect the phone to the servers, and you need locations services on because of the google requirement.

Best Answer

As for syncing, it does not require GPS, your getting location services confused with GPS. 

GPS is a subset of location services which has several layers. The most inaccurate is plain GPS .Next in accuracy is GPS and cell tower pinging. Followed by GPS, Cell tower pinging and WiFi pinging. When enabling location services. the user is able to choose the level of accuracy. 

When it comes to location services being enabled, this in itself does not turn on any location detection, it simply is like unlocking the door to the service. The individual app still needs to ions the dooersoand turn on the wanted service. 

During a sync. Fitbit does not ask for the location of the phone, but Android OS, to close a huge security hole. now requires it to be on. 

Best Answer
0 Votes