Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

for me, I've owned 2 Ionic and one pretty much died due to I assumed battery issue and the other one sporadically acts up until I got fed up and gotten Sense to replace.

this morning around 8 am (Los Angeles) I have registered for a refund/discount (for one Ionic) and gotten the code fairly quickly. I went into the 40% off site and although I didn't need another watch, I can use a couple of bands which was added into the cart, on top of an annual premium subscription as I wasn't one before (which all came $0 after the code was entered).  and it actually checked out after entering CC info for verification purposes.

not sure if I'll receive everything at no cost but that's my experience thus far FWIW.

Best Answer

I went through the refund process and was told somewhere along the way to wait up to 30 minutes for the code to be activated. During that time I took the opportunity to figure out what device and color I would want.  From the recall registration email, I was able to go through the link using the reference # and activate the discounts site code and promo code.  Once I was on the special site I was able to purchase the Fitbit sense. However like I said I was too quick and forget to pick out a FREE extra band for the ONE device I purchased.  

Also, I never had my device deactivated so I am sure what everyone is talking about.

Best Answer

Really sorry to hear so many people have had problems with their Ionic. I absolutely love mine and have had no problems with it. I'm gutted that it's been disabled and I've lost all my data in the app. I actually just bought a new strap for mine which arrived today, then I saw the recall. Mine's had a few knocks so it is worrisome. 

Also just getting back into my exercise routines so gutted not to have a Fitbit for several weeks while I wait for the refund. 

Correction!!! I found my past data! It is all still there. Yay!!! I found it on my online Fitbit Dashboard. It looks like it's gone in the app on my phone but it is all still there! 

Moderator edit: all-caps

Best Answer

The email says the code only works once. But it is not clear if it means the promo code only. I am wondering if I can go just use the access code to enter into the store, take a look what's in there only without checking out anything and then use the access code to get in the store again once I have decided and check out on what I have picked. Thanks

Best Answer

@Jimmy-Neutron I've been trying to get Fitbit to answer that question for me all day!! The short answer is from the wording on the webpage it is a one time use only code. Look for my previous post in this thread with screen grabs. If you find out otherwise let us know please! 

Best Answer

Hello All,

The link does not work. https://www.fitbitionic.expertinquiry.com/

no answer from the chat. 

where do I send the iconic back to?

How can I get the process started?

What is the equivalent to the iconic?

can I return the bands? do the bands work for other Fitbits?

Thank you.

Best Answer

Looks like Edison is still around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Curious what else is available on discount since I'm not sure I'm ready to go in with my one time use code yet. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Best Answer

where do I send the iconic back to?  They will mail you a prepaid return kit
How can I get the process started? That link is the correct site
What is the equivalent to the iconic? Sense is the top-of-line smartwatch but verse 3 is the same without some of the health features  However the sense is your best option as after the 40% you will pay less than what your refund is
can I return the bands? no, not any extra band you bought from Fitbit
do the bands work for other Fitbits? no, the verse/sense uses different bands  For each device you might purchase you get ONE FREE band to go with it

Best Answer

There are no special products on the code site than is what is on the regular site

Best Answer

I still haven't received a code for the discount. 

Anyone else complete the refund process including getting a confirmation email but NO code

Best Answer

@Jimmy-Neutron @TammyLynn_17 You can browse the store and leave without using your code. You have 90 days to redeem the special offers you received after registering for your refund.

@lovemybit You've got the correct link. Can you give us specific details regarding what isn't working for you?

Best Answer

on the recall registration email, there is a link to Click Here for Fitbit Discount on this site is where use the reference code to activate the site and discount codes which will be sent to you via another email

Best Answer

Anyone know if the access code to the store works more than once or the one time use only applies to the promo code? The page isn't exactly clear when it days the "code" only works once and I don't want to find out the hard way until I'm really ready.

Best Answer

it seemed to be hit or miss for most Fitbits I owned and heard from others;  been tempted to jump ship several occasions when these "techs" go on sale but alas, still back trusting Fitbit as I've been faithful to the ecosystem for over 10 years.

below are Fitbits I have owned (and since died from unknown reasons other than "it's time")...:

Fitbit Ultra - dead

Fitbit One - dead screen but still works

Fitbit Flex - dead with corroded charging port

Fitbit Zip (second one) - still working

Fitbit Zip (first one) - dead (battery cover cracked)

Fitbit Ionic (second one) - sporadically working / charging but I've retired it

Fitbit Ionic (first one) - dead

Fitbit Sense - still working (cross fingers and toes)

I sure look like a serial Fitbit killer....!

Best Answer

There are no special products on the code site that is not on the regular site.  So I would recommend you use the regular site to decide and then when you ready use the code site and place your order

Best Answer

I haven’t received the discount email after registering for the refund. It says select regions . I’m in Canada. Is Canada not included?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the tip!

Best Answer
0 Votes

on the recall registration email, there is a link to Click Here for Fitbit Discount on this site is where use the reference code to activate the site and discount codes which will be sent to you via another email

Best Answer
0 Votes

the refund is $299.00 plus 40% discount  i am looking at the sense. that if i can get someone to answer phone or get the registration page to work.

Best Answer