Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

I received the email with the return reference code # nearly 2 hours ago. I go to the provided discount registration link in the email and get 

Reference Code not found. Please allow 30 minutes after registration on our registration website for our Reference code to work in our system.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the system just overloaded? Anyone else having this problem?

Best Answer

So, I feel like something's fine wrong with the refund process for me. 

I registered for the refund, got the email with the code to verify my account and agreed for them to disable my device (which appeared to happen instantly as it's now gone from my account), but never got an email confirmation that my device had been disabled and nor have I recieved any discount code. 

Also, I'm in Canada, and the options given for the refund were an amazing or Walmart gift card or pay pal. I don't use PayPal so I selected the Amazon e-card, but now I'm wondering if that discount code is only for the Fitbit website specifically, or if I'd be able to use it on their Amazon store? I didn't have a choice other then to select a gift card to Amazon (although I suppose I could have started a PayPal account), but I wanted to apply the refund to the purchase of a new Fitbit. 

I guess if the discount code doesn't work on Amazon then I'll look at other smart wa

Best Answer

I had the same message but like it says,wait 30 minutes. I just tried again and it went through and I have my discount code email. 

Best Answer

What about tax? We paid $299 + tax. Is the refund going to cover the tax?

Best Answer

Fitbit discount codes are only for their website unfortunately. So, you can use the Amazon card for your other Amazon purchases.

Best Answer

The refund is $299 per the recall info I read.

I have two ionic devices, one hasn’t been used in a little while. So trying to charge that to get it attached to an account for a refund, as it stopped working charging for a while..so I got another one that I have been using on and off. So hopefully I can get refunded for both of them. 

Best Answer

It does not include the tax 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ionic users, which other fit bit watches matches best to Ionic capabilities. suggestions? 

Best Answer

Crossing my fingers lol it looks like I am able to get the old one working if I keep it plugged in. I already got the registration approved for the one account I had it on previously…so hopefully they will still process it as a refund for me. It sadly just dies when disconnected from the charger..

Best Answer
0 Votes

The sense and versa 3 are the closest to the Ionic

Best Answer

So this is how it ends, a recall of my Ionic which I faithfully have used since they first came out in 2017. I've been with Fitbit since 2013 starting out with the One, then a Surge, before the Ionic.

Fitbit with their devices and excellent app helped me lose 28 pounds way back when and keep it off (mostly) logging all my walks, hikes, bike rides and gym work. So some 36,000,000 + steps later I'm moving on to a Garmin Vivoactive 4 as I really need a decent golf app with my smart watch.

I could be back, we'll see what the rumored Google smart watch brings to the table with Fitbit built in. But if not, just a shout out to Fitbit for helping keep me on track with my fitness goals all these years.

Got to go, only have 7400 steps, need to get to 10K 😀

Best Answer

Used the 40% code and purchased a Charge 5. I do not need another smart watch because I currently also have Galaxy Watch 3. Have used two ionic last 3 years, one died a few months ago, unfortunately I have thrown it already.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Will the Mastercard debit card be a physical card sent out or a virtual card

Best Answer
Cool thanks

Kind regards,
Jon
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi - I have an affected Ionic device.  It was overheating last year and frequently had problems charging because of this fault. As I was out of warranty (and already on a second Ionic), I purchased a replacement Charge 4 device. I still have my Ionic, but I can't get it to power up at this time so I cannot link it to my account for the registration. How would I go about registering for the recall if the process is stopped by the requirement to be linked to the account?

Best Answer

I have the same issue. The access code is no where to be found.

Best Answer

On the recall registration email, there is a link to Click Here for Fitbit Discount on that page is where use the reference code to activate the site and discount codes which will be sent to you via another email

Best Answer

Yes. It says "You already registered for our special offers" and did not show the access code. Frustrating.

Best Answer

This is an example of the second email you should be getting where you will get the codes.  Now make sure you check your spam folder Screenshot 2022-03-02 225824.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Months argue'ing with them there was a battery issue and they wouldn't listen, no way would I touch them again!

Best Answer