Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

But the link provided for the discount doesn't work...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am getting stuck at Step 3 within the below link having gotten my reference number last night. 

https://myhelp.fitbit.com/s/devicediscount

When I enter the reference code I get a "reference code not found"

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you have your reference code, you can click the below link and populate. This will result in an email being sent to you with an access code and a discount code. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh this actually worked for me.

Did you get the confirmation email that your Ionic was disabled? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@snoopylou yup, was the same site/pic for me. I just stayed patient and tried again early this morning with less American traffic on the website.

Best Answer

Hello, I received an email with regards to the recall of the Ionic model, but im having a hard time with regards to registering the device for a refund. My brother has been using it the past few months. But it needed to be on my account again for me to pursue the refund, my problem now is that it just stop working and it doesn’t charge anymore. So does it mean there’s no way that I can claim for a refund now?

Update: same problem for me too, I cannot open and re-register the watch under my acct again.

mine also suddenly stops and not charging as well.

Moderator Edit: Merged posts

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just to update people - 

I am based in Ireland. I filled in my details and got a reference number. I was told my refund would be 3-6 weeks. I then clicked the below link and populated the required fields and within minutes I had access to the discount store. 

I purchased a new Sense, an additional strap and a year of Fitbit premium for €180, I was also able to select expedited shipping for free. I completed this purchase yesterday morning and I have emails from DHL tracking my order saying it is due to be delivered today. 

I have a second device that I registered for the refund too although with this one I am stuck at the discount page Step 3 where is states "reference number not found". I am assuming this is due to website traffic and delays in processing everyone's orders.

I contacted Fitbit Live Chat and was told that I just have to wait (it has been 12 hours now and my Fitbit is still not wiped) but I was assured the process I followed was the correct one. 

I also enquired as to what the refund amount would be in EURO (as I am based in Ireland) although I was told $299 only. I queried this further as to why they cannot confirm the refund amount in my home currency but they were unsure. I paid €299 for my Ionic back in the day and would expect the same. I would not be happy with $299 converted to euro (€271). 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The below link has worked for me on my first device

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes Jamie, the same here. I just spoke to someone from customer services. He told me it is still very busy and asked me to have patience and try it again in a few days.....

It seems logical to me that reference number are shared by Sedgwick with the IT-systems from Fitbit in the sequence they are created, but no......

Hope we will also be successful in our registration soon!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did not. I just noticed the Ionic itself was removed from the App. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was able to register and got the email, but confirmation does not work (yet), waited > 30 mins, still message : Reference Code Not Found

Best Answer
0 Votes

I actually have 3 Ionic devices. The first one went through in less than 30 mins (on my account) but my wife's still stuck at step 2 (even though we did the whole process at the same time and her device has been remotely deactivated my Fitbit). Support hasn't been helpfull because they apparently can't see anything in their side.waitung till hers goes through to process our third Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been waiting 12 hours and still getting the "reference code not found". Not ideal. Fitbit chat says that they are very busy and it will work eventually. 

Best Answer

Hi, nice statement:
Registration works, got the email with the reference code, but confirmation fails (even after >30 mins), error: Reference Code Not Found.

Best Answer

Hi,

Got the reference code. Only problem is my Ionic died a few months ago and it doesn't show in my account. I'm stuck at de-syncing the device. 

Any pointers anyone?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there I’ve registered for a refund but like many other people I’ve read on here my iconic won’t turn on and let it sync to retrieve the code for refund 

I’ve tried a live chat but no one is responding to me on the page ? Please could you advise what to do next ? 
I’ve tried charging but still the screen is black regards andy 

Best Answer

same issue for me too! im getting frustrated!!😬😬

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing - got the code - doesn't work. Fitbit chat messaging not working.

--------------

I will be so glad to leave Fitbit thanks to the product recall. Product is poor and now is being recalled. 

I have completed the refund process but website does not accept my registration code.

I went on Fitbit online messaging and informed them of this - kept waiting and not a single reply on the chat.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've successfully registered for the recall and all of my heart rate has vanished from my dashboard and Fitbit app. This was accumulated both while I've had an Ionic and a previous Fitbit. Is this a mistake? Does the data still exist? Weakens any incentive for staying with the brand.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Registered yesterday. Still no confirmation with discount codes. Any Idea how long it will take?

Best Answer