Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

Totally agree. I had a battery issue and fail on one of mine but as I got rid of device FitBit are not interested. Also the codes they send just do not work. I have called 4 times now after web chat didnt work and still nobody seems able to progress my recall on the device I still have!!

Moderator Edit: word choice

Best Answer

Tried entering the code and got some kind of a fail / busy / try again message (stupidly didn't screenshot) now when I try to enter the code I get a "code already used" message.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all.

Is anyone having problems submitting their verification code as part of refund process with Ionic Fitbit. I’ve tried a few times now and get the message “Code not found”. Have called Fitbit and been told to make sure I’m entering the code correctly, I’ve been told to wait 30 minutes and try again, then told to wait an hour or two and try again, and most recently to wait a day then try again. If no luck after that  then give them a call back. Quite time consuming and a little frustrating. I was also given a number for the Refund Centre but the number no longer exists! Anyway if anyone has gone through this process and come out the other side with their refund I’d love hear your secret. Cheers, Kel.

Best Answer

It did that for me too until I realized that the email address needs to be written in twice! There are two separate boxes for it but it is very difficult to see that. One above the other. Hope that works! 

Best Answer

I have disabled the device as required on the official website, then where should I fill in the way to receive a refund? I haven't received any emails after this, and now my ionic can't connect to the phone, and I don't know where to fill in the information for the refund. I am a Chinese user, what is the refund process and mechanism for Chinese users?

Best Answer

My lonic had been always restarting and it just appeared the logo all the time whilst there was a vibrating each restart.Even if I tried everything following the instructions, it still didn't get into the system dashboard.So I can't connect my account,it means I can't get through the recall process. Anyone could help?

Best Answer

Hi! So it worked for you?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Not working
Big joke

>From my iPad
Best Answer

I have been using Ionic for around 2 years. However, I am unable to sync the device as I have started using another device. Now Ionic is not powering on. Since Syncing seems to be a requisite for refund (Which I am unable to do), What do I need to do to get the refund?

Would appreciate your feedback to enable me to get the REFUND.

Thanks in advance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just received my $403AUD refund (PayPal) from fitbit only 48 hours after lodging my refund claim, happy days. 

Best Answer

I ordered a Sense - which is on its way. I had little issues with the Ionic other than no email pushed to the device. I was careful not to use the Ionic in the water which was a pitty, but there WAS a real and present issue with waterproof integrity. Hopefully I can use the sense in water. 

I was going to leave Fitbit, but the wife is happy with her Sense, after two failed Versa 1's., so given the "incentive" to stay with Fitbit due to the discount purchase - I'll give them another chance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have used multiple fitness watches from Polar V800, Garmin Fenix 6 Pro,  to now Garmin Descent Sapphire. Of all I liked my Fitbit Ionic, but I have gone through 3 Fitbit Ionic. All 3 would appear to charge, but would get warm to the touch. My last Ionic would not turn on and after leaving on the charger for weeks at a time It would start vibrating and than it would function as normal. The Ionic was one of the nicer Fitbit Watches and I preferred it over Apple or Samsung. I am going to miss my Ionic, but nothing last forever.

Best Answer

"I just received my $403AUD refund"

Good to hear. I estimated around AUD$400, so good to have that confirmed. Still waiting, but the AUD$270 Sense I purchased is on its way.

Best Answer

Hi Yojana - appreciate Fitbit are doing their best to action, but the process is flawed.  This has created many frustrated users, who up until receiving the email from fitbit, most likely were very happy Ionic users.  The flaw is in your process, the registration codes are not registering, you should change the alert where it says wait 30 minutes, reading all these comments in this recall community has left me frazzled as I can read everyone else's frustration.  Online chat option is useless, no one is answering at the call centres and there is no other option for us to try to workaround the issue, accept read everyone else's identicial position.  If Fitbit were serious about all the current Ionic users who still have a synced watch you should have simply sent everyone their voucher in the initial email & on using the voucher at the store, only then would the device be de-synced.  Instead you all have created this flurry of frustrated fitbit users and seriously are losing many advocates.  If this is how you operate I have no confidence in my next fitbit watch/order.  

Best Answer

After 2 days my reference code is still not recognized 😞

Best Answer

Can anyone help me please. I have registered (UK), received the code but can't progress.

I have waited and waited and it's been 2 days now. Can't seem to get any help from the contact pages either.

Just states that the reference code isn't found.

Screenshot_20220307-065652.png

Best Answer

yes, same here. if i am correct you are in germany, too. why not just say there are problems beeing investigated.

Best Answer

Biggest goof up by fitbit was to desync the device immediately.

Many of us believed that the process would be smooth and agreed to desync immediately.

Now without any clear status on refunds, we have lost our devices which was functioning properly.

And also the new watch stocks are also running out.

Best Answer

SunriseRun453: Great to hear you already have refund. I also ordered fitbit sense, will be second sense I've had as last year bought one that had problems with heart rate and exercising heart rate being at a resting heart rate. So got money back. Hope they fixed problems. As for ionic at time it said $410 back but today says $403

Best Answer
0 Votes

same problem here... I  received the code friday evening... but until now getting the same response (Reference code not found).... 
--> not very professional 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes