Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

That is if the discount code actually comes through correctly..... 

Yes I have already contact support and they have escalated it. Just posting in case others are getting registration/confirmation emails but the actual discount code is missing.  

Best Answer

Annoyingly, after two Ionics failed I recently sent them for recycling. 

As they are no longer paired to my account the refund can not take place - any chance you can use historic data to check I owned these? You should even have evidence of the warranty support call I raised.

Best Answer

Hi @Stu_B and @birdman5589

To learn more about the Ionic recall and how to get your refund, visit our webpage at help.fitbit.com/ionic, where you’ll find:

* Answers to common questions

* Information on how to receive a refund 

* Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time. 

Your safety is always our top priority, and we are taking this action out of an abundance of caution. Thank you for your continued support and being a member of the Fitbit family.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Hi, thank you for your time and this post. I've gone through the recall process and you've disabled the syncing. OK, as expected. I've not seen anywhere how much store credit or refund I'm going to receive. Just that it will take 3 to 6 weeks to receive it. I'm also not sure if it's store credit I'm receiving or an actual refund. Several weeks is a long time to be without my Fitbit. I'd like to look at purchasing a new one but need to know what sort of credit/refund I'm to receive first so that I'll know if I can go ahead and get a new one or should I wait. ?? 

Also, I understand that the promo code is for one use only... no problem, expected. But what about the code to access the store? Can I enter multiple times before I decide which new Fitbit I'd like? Or is it one entry into the store? 

Thank you for your time on this. 

Tammy

Best Answer

@TammyLynn_17 I was offered two options to choose from, one was a pre paid Mastercard and the other PayPal. I chose PayPal. Were you not offered these options? 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

@N8teGee Oh, yes I was, I chose Mastercard. Still don't know how much the refund is. I'm also unclear about what this card is, can it be used anywhere or just in the Fitbit store? 

Another question I have, will we get the special discount in the UK Fitbit store or do we have to order it from the USA? As all the links I've clicked on so far take me to the US store. That would mean an even longer wait for my new fitbit! 

Oh well, I'll just have to wait I reckon. Thank you for replying. I'm in the UK too. 

Best Answer

I can't speak for Fitbit, but in the past when I've had a refund sent as a pre paid Mastercard I've been able to spend it anywhere as if it was a real debit/credit card. Obviously with the PayPal route, I would think they will just send the refund to the PayPal account and then you can just withdraw it to your bank account. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

@N8teGee Thank you for that information. Gives me a bit more confidence to go ahead and buy a new Fitbit. 

Best Answer

I reset the device as instructed before shipping back, but I don't see any information on how to actually shutdown the power.

When you reset to factor settings, there is no way to get to a menu to power it down.  I have tried multiple button press combinations without luck.

Seems dangerous to mail it in powered-up when it could cause a fire!

Is there a way to shut down the power to the Ionic without a menu selection?

Thanks.

Best Answer

I'm about to hit "yes" to nuke by dearly loved Iconic.

I'm in the UK, will I also get USD299 and a 40% off voucher?

The recall doesn't say what I'll get and I'll be seriously annoyed if it's less than in the US!

//edit

The product recall page and FAQ don't say how much the refund will be.

It does mention there will be a special offer you have 90 days to claim.... but doesn't say what it is!

Best Answer

@trollbubba Yes I'm curious as to how much us UK users will get. I paid £300 for my Ionic back when I bought it (at launch). It will be disappointing if we are not reimbursed the full amount, especially as its Fitbit who have admitted to there being a fault. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

You're right, but also I'd like to know what the refund is before I hit "nuke".  I don't think Fitbit owned by Google would pull a fast one... but it would be nice to see what's being offered up front!

Best Answer

What is everyone getting as a replacement? I was looking at the Sense (with the 40% discount and a free extra band), but was debating going Apple Watch Series 7. 

Best Answer

Refund is $299 per NBC news. Plus 40% a new Fitbit watch and a free extra brand. They'll ship you a return packing within 5 days of registering, and will issue the refund once they receive your Ionic.

Best Answer

But that's very US centric.

In the UK I have to tick a box which says

You also affirm that you have stopped using your Ionic and will immediately dispose of it in accordance with any local requirements.

OR did you tick that too?

Best Answer

@james.nicolas wrote:

What is everyone getting as a replacement? I was looking at the Sense (with the 40% discount and a free extra band), but was debating going Apple Watch Series 7. 

I want to stick with Fitbit... but the Sense doesn't allow local music to be played, so forget it.  I'm personally looking at Garmin.

Best Answer

@james.nicolas I was just looking at the new Sense as well. If it's part of the 40% discount I'll probably go for that one. 

Have you logged into the special shop with your special access code for the shop? 

Best Answer

I'm probably going to go for a Charge 5. I upgrade to an Ionic from a Charge 2 (I think) as I wanted GPS capability on the device - and then they brought out the Charge 3 soon after!

Some of the smartwatch features are nice-to-have but I don't think I use them that much to really bother.

Has anyone else in the UK actually received information about the "special discount"? My device has been disabled from my account for about 30 minutes now but I haven't received a code. I'm ok to wait on the refund - that'll arrive when it arrives - but if I don't get the discount code then I could look elsewhere... 🙄

Best Answer

How quickly did your code arrive Tammy?

Best Answer