Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

Hi there. I applied and was accepted for the refund. However, I didn’t get an email with a discount code yet. Is there a way to contact someone about this? 

Thank you in advance.

I think they said about 299.00 USD. 

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

Here is a link for phone numbers https://www.fitbitionic.expertinquiry.com/contact-us
Check your spam and also be mindful their system maybe overloaded

Best Answer

Same with me. I never received an email confirmation about my device being disabled or discount code/refund confirmation in writing. 

Best Answer

the first email should be from globalintake-no-reply@sedgwick.com with your reference # after you completed this link https://www.fitbitionic.expertinquiry.com/ and the second one should be from Fitbit Support <https://contact.fitbit.com> with the codes after you have used the link on the first email Click Here for Fitbit Discount

Make sure you check your spam folder

Best Answer

Same here with the ones not getting confirmation emails after verification and deactivation. 

I entered the reference code from the only email I got. The email mentioned another email after successful verification. However, the site said the deactivation of sync may take up to 7 days  and I would be notified afterwards. Too bad there seems to be no way to track whether the request has reached them successfully.

The original email also did not contain a link to get the discount code. Maybe it depends on the location? I am following the recall from Germany. 

Best Answer

Hi. I am Ozgun from Turkey.

I got an email about recalls. I clicked the link. I chose money refund option. Then I saw "Account verification" page.

...We found an impacted device connetced to your account.....  # I agree to allow Fitbit to disable device syncing for my Ionic. # You also affirm that you have stopped using your Ionic and will immediately dispose of it in accordance with any local requirements.

/I clicked these options/

Next page I saw this message;

We'll permanently disable device syncing within 7 days. You'll receive an email confirmation after we disable device syncing. You'll receive your refund in 3-6 weeks.

Okay. They immediately disabled my device syncing. They also deleted my fitbit Ionic from my fitbit account. But They still didn't send me an email after 6 hours. There is a problem here. Because they didn't ask me any personal info about refund part. They don't know my bank details or even my full name.

What should I do? I am not good at phone calls. I am not sure can I explain my situation on a phone call.

Best Answer

I wanted to register for a refund but my region is not listed. It said contact the help center but not having any luck.

Best Answer

Hi everyone. Has anyone else read the news that in the American. The iconic watch has been recalled and refunds are been given to people who have then. Because they have been found to over heat?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello. I don't have paypal. I would like the money to be transferred to my bank account.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RedDeviluk At launch the Ionic pricing was $299 in the US and £299 in the UK, so I would expect us UK users will get a refund for the full UK launch price. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Hello, I am based in Israel. I have submitted all the info through the refund link and process - I am at the verification stage and even though my profile shows Israel, and I completed the application with my correct address details, the verification page shows :

Confirm your location to continue with account verification. - United States. I am unable to complete the process. This is very frustrating!

Is there any email address at Fitbit that can be used to escalate this?

Best Answer

12 hours since they disabled my ionic I still don't have any confirmation email or discount codes.

That's far too long for any automated system surely. 

I miss the ionic already and am about to go on my first untracked exercise in years.... 

Best Answer

Yes, the main thread for this has the announcement from Fitbit and posts from us users. You can find it at:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/Voluntary-Safety-Recall-of-Fitbit-Ionic-Smartwatches/td-p/5087...

Best Answer

Same here, the only email I had was to register my device, which was disabled instantly and then 12 hours of silence so far.

So I have a broken watch and that's it, the worst thing is it WAS working fine and had done for a long time.

Best Answer

Has anyone asked this yet,  and been given a direct answer instead of the canned response ...  I've done the process for my Ionic,  however, I have a second Ionic.  I can't reconnect it to my fitbit account.  How can I get a refund for it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same boat. Bought the Ionic, used it for about a year before it became completely unusable. Eventually recycled it. It's pretty ridiculous that I'm not eligible for a refund. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think we have to remember the objective of this recall, which is to remove potentially harmful (burning users skin) devices from circulation/use. If the device is no longer working or it's been disposed of, then there is no risk of it burning someone (as no one is going to wear it). So from a business perspective I would imagine only working devices are eligible as they are the ones which pose the risk (although I could be wrong). We can debate whether or not this is ethical, but we've seen a lot of businesses only do the bare minimum when it comes to these things. 

Perhaps someone from Fitbit can clarify if the recall applies to non working devices too and how one would go about initiating the process (as they can't add it to their account).

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Hi all.

I have just read through the long and growing thread re recall/refunds. Many are saying it is a complicated process!  My question is simply - what happens if I just ignore the whole situation?  Dont get me wrong - i fully understand the safety issues re fires/burns etc. But - i think i read that the no of burns was in the hundreds out of several hundred thousand sales.  If I decided that the lowish risk level was ok for me what happens?

Many people say their ionic was deleted from the app/unsynced immediately and the refund and/or possible new fitbit might take weeks to come through.   Will mine keep working and syncing if I just "ignore" all this?

I am sure as with many product recalls that many many thousands will be unaware and would be shocked if at some future date things would suddenly stop working?! 

Any advice re this would be appreciated. Thankz.

Best Answer

How can I tell if my Fitbit  Ionic is one of the 503 models that need to be returned? 

Best Answer

My country is not listed. Tried to contact Fitbit with no luck. Any way to contact Fitbit directly through email.

RyleM

Best Answer