Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waving arms counting as steps - what to do-Ionic

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just wondering on people's opinions on this.  I have severe osteoarthritis of the right hip and walking/stepping now always ideal for me and can be pretty painful. Before on days I couldn't get to the gym or when I couldn't walk due to bad weather I would jog on the spot but that's just a no no for me now as I get a flare up with the hip.

What I've found is that if I wave my arms up and down repetitively I get steps in this way.  Even sitting down doing it.  I don't log this as an activity but it seems to log it as an activity with my heart-rate going up.

What I want to know is - do people think this is cheating?  I know it's not proper steps but just feel a bit deflated when I can't achieve this.  See if I can attach a screen shot of an activity I did today doing this.

TIA.  Smiley Happy

Capture.JPG

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
48 REPLIES 48

Reading through this post while on my stationary bike. Showing I have taken 4204 steps in the past hour on my bike. I don't wave my arms to cheat but I do it to get into the fat burning zone. Which is the only way I can get my heartrate up. I'm wondering the same thing. Am I actually burning 1000 calories in 2 hours on the bike or am I really only burning like 600 and getting false calorie burn from moving my arms to get my HR up?  Really curious as I've been working out so hard for the last 3 months daily and seeing no results. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@amanduhhlynnnn the calories are mostly determined by the heart rate. 

Your steps are from wrist movement cause might be from the flexing of the bike. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Stephy! Anyone who sees this as cheating obviously doesn’t understand that when one is actually physically limited, they need to make adjustments. You’re not cheating. You are getting activity in where you can, how YOU can. You’re still moving muscles, moving weight, it’s still a workout and that’s what walking is. You’re just doing it “upside-down”! I mean, people DO walk on their hands, don’t they? People who are more able-bodied (not that you’re less-than or not at all able-bodied, it’s just fact you’re less able to move in the same exact ways as others without your condition) well, they usually just don’t have a clue what it’s like for someone with actual physical limitations. 
For instance, places getting rid of straws when it’s actually the only way some people with extremely low muscle tone can stay hydrated (or fed) and alive, but those making the decision to “stop waste” forget that not everyone is the same. 

To all of you calling stephycara a cheater, take a moment and consider where SC is coming from. 

And SC, keep on keeping on! I hope your feeling some relief by now, and are more mobile as you’d like! Take it easy, modify things- when you feel pain, that’s your body telling you “please, i need you to stop here”. ❤️

Best Answer
0 Votes

But when I carry my phone in my hand it does count steps accurately, not hand movements. Fitbit should be able to do that as well. I had 5,000 steps added when I played ukulele, and it’s not on my strumming arm! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

With your phone, in your hand and walking, your phone will count steps correctly. Your fitbit will also count steps correctly while walking. 

The question is not about when walking, but it is about when not walking. 

Try this. Stand still. Put phone in the hand that the fitbit is on. Now wave the phone up down, both my phone and tracker counts this waving as steps. 

Fitbit, while on the arm, can not tell you what the feet are doing. All arm based tracjers look for arm movements that should occurs while the feet are walking, and yes, all atm based trackers get fooled now and then. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Rich - yes that's true, but my phone WILL count steps correctly while in my back pocket. It may not know what my feet are doing, but it doesn't rely on arm movement either.  I know that FitBit tells you it may not count accurately if you're not moving your arms, e.g. if pushing a shopping cart.  So I'm just surprised it counts 'steps' when on my fretting hand - it's not moving back and forth like the strumming hand. In any case, it is what it is. Thanks for the reply. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally agree. it's obvious that Fitbit is not accurate and the movement of your arm while sitting in a chair should not count as a step in anybody's book.

they just need to either update the firmware or the software but this excuse of saying that movement is movement does not replace moving your body by a step. scratching my head does not consume the same amount of calories as walking one foot considering you're carrying 150 lb

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have to agree, but looking at atm motions to predict what the feet are doing, presents its problems. 

We are talking about the ionic here, and the newer trackers do have more advanced algorithms. 

Another problem, when walking and the arms are not moving correctly, steps may not be counted. 

If you want a more accurate count, buy a waist mounted unit, or with a foot pod system. However both also have their own issues. 

In general, the tests I have done, between t and arm motions ballance out over the week/month. With a few months within a thousand steps and one month within 200. 

If you are just sitting in a chair, steps won't be counted. If your arm cycles consecutively less than 5 times no steps counted.. 

Do a quick Google, you will see that no company has this aspect zoomed in. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everybody, thank you for visiting the Fitbit Community.

Currently, there is a voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches.

For more information, please visit this thread.

I am going to close this thread to keep the Community organized.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
0 Votes