Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Fitness Tracker do you Recommend to Replace my Ionic?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After the "Surge" debacle, I gave Fitbit one last chance to redeem themselves.  I believed the marketing hype that they had "learned from their mistakes"...  that it now had a replaceable band....  and would be more reliable. 

"Fool me Once - Shame on You....  Fool me Twice, Shame on Me".

I've had to replace the band on my Ionic twice, and the little clasp has been lost three times.  The little oval around the charging pins clogs with compacted dust and skin cells, though fairly easy to clean out with an unfolded staple, so I have not had any charging problems.

Now, I wear my Ionic every day, taking it off to shower, and not worm when I am sleeping.  I'd say it's on my arm about 15 hours a day.  I work as an electronics repair technician, so my Ionic takes a bit of abuse and a few bumps especially when trying to remove an instrument cluster from a Ford or Dodge (couldn't they have made the wiring harness an inch longer?)  So my watch has a few scratches on teh face, but really, not too bad.

What I am very unimpressed with is the state of the back of the case - the finish has worn away around the edge of the black part of the back, and is very pitted.  Didn't realize my perspiration was so acidic!  

Yesterday, however, the heart rate, step count and floor count functions have all failed.  Well, not completely...  I've done 65 steps today, up from 35 yesterday.   

It still charges, it still tells time.  But as a fitness tracker, it's done.

So.....  I am looking for recommendations for its replacement.  Apple?  Garmin??

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

The question is whether you are looking for fitness tracker, smartwatch or sports watch. If looking for a smartwatch with fitness tracking, then for Apple there is really only one choice. If you have Android phone you may give a go to new Suunto 7. It uses WearOS but surprisingly it's getting really good reviews. For sports watch look at dedicated brands with years of experience in that field, like Garmin or Polar.

Read specs, features, user reviews before you buy anything. It isn't about the brand but whether the device meets your requirements. Selecting wrong device for a job you may be same disappointed regardless whether it is Fitbit, Garmin, Polar or anything else.

Best Answer
0 Votes