Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you Think of your Ionic so Far?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I just ordered the new Ionic and it should arrive on Friday and was wondering about the ones that have received their Ionic so far what do you think?

• is it very heavy or light ?
  • is it to big ? 
  • what to you think about transferring music?
  • how is the battery life? 
  • is the screen bright enough?
  • do it stay on long enough to read your text messages and can you respond to texts from the watch.
  • how is the accuracy 
  • I'm sure I will have a lot to say once I get mine in, i'm going from my Microsoft Band 2 that I loved and will miss dearly
Best Answer
344 REPLIES 344
  • is it very heavy or light ?

Nice design, light, comfortable for waering...

• is it to big ? 

Size is ok, display could be a little bigger

• what to you think about transferring music?

disaster! Only with Win10 or Mac? Whats's th point of that?

• how is the battery life? 

Couldn't test, because no really sync is working!

• is the screen bright enough?

Nice display! In the night perhaps a little too light

• do it stay on long enough to read your text messages and can you respond to texts from the watch.

Didn't get any messages on the display! Sync isn't working!

• how is the accuracy 

Don't know, could not test it long enough...

• I'm sure I will have a lot to say once I get mine in, i'm going from my Microsoft Band 2 that I loved and will miss dearly

I love my Pepple Time Steel and thought, the Ionic would be a very good replacement. But after allt hese issues, I send it back!

Issue: don't sync porperly via Bluetooth, WLAN was not found, Update takes very long time! I have done reset, reinstall the app, factory reset the Ionic several times. Although with contact to the support there was the only solution to reset/factory reset and reinstall. Nothing helped! The Ionic is nothing worth to me! Spend about 4 days,and nothing works (Firmware 27.25.16.7, should be actual). Catastrophe!

I have Oneplus One and Two, not Windows and no Mac. So this watch will not work for me and I think many others!

It is a great disaster for FitBit to throw a half-baked product on this market.

Just my 2cents.

Best Answer

I got mine yesterday. The exercise features seem to work perfectly but massive issues with smart side of tge device. Cant controll music from my phone on the watch. Cant see text notifications only says I have a text. Cant pair blootooth headphones. Notifications from whats app sometimes work and sometimes not. Sometimes syncs with my phone, sometimes not. Really hope these issues get sorted out as I really don't want to send my Ionic back. At the moment I appear to have a £300 fitness tracker!

Best Answer

After a week I'm loving my Ionic, and am looking forward to seeing all the other promised features becoming available over the next few months.  That's not to say I don't have any niggles.  There are two improvements I'd like to see quickly:

1) For the screen to switch on reliably when I tilt my wrist or double tap the screen, I've still not got the hang of this.

2) For the weather to have synchronised before I look at it.  Presently go to I look at it and it often has no data and says "sync needed" meaning I have to go to my phone in which case I might as well have looked at its weather app, duh.

Best Answer

I’m a Blaze owner and now an Ionic owner.... IMO don’t get the ionic. 

Fitbit Pay doesn’t work, the messages don’t support mms even though you can have clear photo quality on a watch face and the exercises. 

Its no different really to the Blaze. 

Im pretty peeved that I’ve shelled out £300 for a watch that isn’t even finished. 

Best Answer

Have a Blaze and was really looking forward to the Ionic but I'm glad that I haven't made the jump yet....seems to be a lot of issues with this new device...🙁

Best Answer

Bought one on Sunday and so far I’m not terribly impressed - everything is rough around the edges. I have a Charge 2 and an Apple Watch Series 2, and I was looking to get the fitness-focused simplicity of the Charge 2 with some notification capabilities, and the ability to control my phone’s music and podcasts on my wrist. The battery life is as advertised, and I’ve had no issues syncing or sleep tracking or tracking exercise, just as I did not have those issues with my Charge 2.

The heart rate and step tracking appear to be just as promised, and appear to do a nice job keeping up unless there are sudden spikes (as with circuit training). For the life of me, I will never understand why Fitbit has not integrated chest-strap HRM support via bluetooth in the same way Apple and Garmin have. If Fitbit is trying to seize the “fitness-first” portion of the market, they absolutely need this feature to lure a discerning user. Also, the GPS works fine, but I don’t understand why Fitbit doesn’t include connected GPS for those situations where I have my phone with me (say, in an armband). This would save even more on battery, and it has worked flawlessly on my Charge 2 in the past.

The overall look is in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion it’s not bad - certainly from the side I like how the case curves to conform to the wrist. And from certain angles it looks good. But looking at the watch face-on as I do throughout the day, it looks octagonal - and with the giant bezels and unnecessary “fitbit” branding, it seems like a combination between a Casio calculator watch and one of those portable TVs from the 90s. I also don’t understand why the “charcoal” and “smoke gray” option still seems pretty light in color, and not that far off from the blue/silver model.

There are a decent number watch face options, but in my opinion they are mostly pretty unattractive, and seem to have no forethought or efficient use of the watch’s screen. Many faces have gobs of negative space, but display only one or two stats and require endless taps to cycle through information. Somehow the act of displaying information seemed more streamlined and user-friendly on the Charge 2’s tiny display than the Ionic. I am currently using the Moment face, which is nice, but I can’t change the red numbering to anything else. The other color options only change the background. And the “customize stats” option doesn’t appear to work either. The overall face installation process also takes way too long - there is zero need for it to buzz my wrist to inform me that it has started installing a new face (and then do nothing once that process is complete). And another aside, why do end users need to know the file size of the clock faces or what version number it is? I couldn’t care less. Seeing descriptions like “<developer name missing>” in the face gallery also just makes everything look slapped together. I’m hoping there are many more third-party faces added to the watch, and soon, and a more elegant process for installing faces.

I think the stock band is pretty lackluster - I like the way the band “snaps” into other holes to ensure it won’t stick out, but the buckle sticks out an absurd amount. It is neither sporty nor formal/sleek. That “snap” also makes it really difficult to get the band out of the buckle and off my wrist. I would like to try out the black sport band, but the release date is a mystery. Anyone who has tried the Apple Watch bands will agree the difference in elegance and comfort is night and day in favor of Apple.

I can control music and such from my phone, but that’s still a bit clunky. Since I have the AirPods I was looking for a quick way to adjust volume on the go or during a workout. But that’s not the simplest process - I can hold down the top-right button, but by default I only get a display of the current track playing with a seek forward, play/pause, and “more” options. I have to tap on “more” to then open a new menu, from where I can adjust volume (with no visual feedback on the watch as to what the volume is currently at, just up and down buttons). Not the sleekest process if I’m running, and so far I don’t see a way to change this.

I knew what I was getting into with the notifications - strictly non-actionable. But I don’t understand why the watch lacks emoji or rich text support, which are very commonplace in texts and in many app notifications (specifically for me, Carrot Weather for iPhone). The simple emojis work, but I am seeing way too many boxes with question marks in them for other common ones. And bringing up the notification “drawer” via touch is very hit-or-miss and often fails to respond. (I do appreciate that I can hold down the bottom-right button instead, that is a nice touch).

I haven’t bothered with Pandora, because let’s be clear - nobody uses Pandora’s premium service, relatively speaking. Spotify is king, and that was a huge missed opportunity for Fitbit. I also haven’t bothered with Wallet, since I use Apple Pay on my Phone already (which allows me to switch between cards on the fly) and I hate having to put in a PIN code constantly on my watch just to use the thing.

Overall, this might wind up back at the store, or in a drawer for a while, just to see if Fitbit gets a vibrant app and watch face platform going, and works out the kinks. More than anything Fitbit needs to make this act like a flagship product if people are going to forgive its limitations.

Best Answer

I have returned 2 Ionics due to the poor HR reading. Fitbit reps deny the problem & have mentioned there is no detectable bug. What a shame. Own up to it!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love my Ionic !   I'm a former Charge 2 wearer, I bought the Charge 2 in March 2017, and have centered my efforts to get back into shape around the Fitbit app and Charge 2, and I've lost 40 lbs in 7 months, and gone from running 1/2 mile a day to 4 miles a day. I couldn't have done it without Fitbit.

I see the Ionic as an upgrade to the Charge 2, Surge and Blaze. It's great ! now GPS records my exact run distance (I just guesstimated before) I get an actual VO2 max score instead of an estimate, I don't have to carry my ipod on runs, my music is on the Ionic. I think if fitness is your goal, there is a lot to like about Ionic. What else could I ask of it ? I swim, bike, run, hike, and lift weights, and it's an improvement over my Charge 2 for all those activities, because of GPS, water-resistance and onboard music.   If you want a great Smartwatchfor sending texts, buy an Apple Watch, or something else.

I had no problems setting it up, transfering music from my computer, or pairing bluetooth headphones.

I didn't really like the styling at first, but it's growing on me, and it seems like form-follows-function.

Potatoeman

Best Answer

I just got mine last night... went to Best Buy.. They didn't even have it on display yet 😛

• is it very heavy or light ? lighter than the Blaze
  • is it to big ? Screen itself is bigger and more clear than the Blaze. Nice to see that that weird cradle the blaze sat in is gone.. It doesnt seem bigger than the Blaze... nicer form factor
  • what to you think about transferring music? Havent tried it yet... i use Amazon music... so i may have to give pandora plus a try
  • how is the battery life? Too soon to tell... it charged quickly enough
  • is the screen bright enough? most definitely..  but maan , they still giving us all these bezels! 
  • do it stay on long enough to read your text messages and can you respond to texts from the watch. it stays on long enough i'd say
  • how is the accuracy Pretty much what i'd expect from Fitbit. It didn't track my sleep stages last night though... i've seen that could be an issue, but i will try it again tonight. 

I hate the band... but i've never liked the plastic business... it doesnt bend flush to my wrist (which is on the smaller side)... ordered a milanese band which i've been using and loving on my blaze. i love all the clock faces.. and that you can customize the color within the face. Not many apps are on yet, but... i'm hoping that more apps like Amazon music will jump onboard... that would make me so happy as i don't really want to spend money on another music service. Looking forward to trying it out on a run later on. 

I got my Starbucks card to register on the watch and it has worked so far.. so thats kinda cool. 

Overall, it just looks like a nicer Blaze... but i've yet to try all the features it has to offer. 

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes

@weswanders thanks for the review, I've had multiple Fitbits and started wearing Apple Watch two years ago. At some point (not too soon) I plan to update AW0, and looking at Ionic and Garmin and AW3.

Beyond missing emoji support, were you able to view photos and videos? I get a lot of family texts that are simply a photo, or a short video. The biggest negatives of Ionic for me right now, ignoring initial bugs and missing support for Chase/Citi credit cards, are lackluster notifications, no support for BT chest strap, and non-existent support for automatically export activities to real fitness platforms. If HRM turned out to be accurate for me on cycling and stationary bike, then I could cobble together a workaround to push activities to other fitness platforms.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just received it this afternoon, don't know why but here in the Netherlands it wasn't available till today.

I really love the watch so far, everything went flawless: Wifi connect, update, weather app, music transfer, everything went very well! I've read a lot about issues here but mine is just perfect I guess.

Very happy with it for now, tommorow I'll begin my first bootcamp session with the Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As I understand it photos and videos in text notifications are a total non-starter, you won’t see anything. The AW3 is definitely the way to go if you want to see photos in text messages. Not sure if that’s a limitation in the notifications API, such that Fitbit’s hands are tied (could well be the case).

If you have a stationary bike setup using a Garmin head unit (like a road bike on a trainer), then the Garmin Vivoactive 3 might be the way to go, since Garmin stuff can be exported pretty much anywhere, otherwise, it seems most fitness platforms will read HealthKit exercises from an Apple Watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes
  • The Ionic feels so much lighter than the Blaze (I think because of the curve it doesn't feel like it is just plopped on my wrist)
  • No
  • It is a little clunky since you have to do "playlists" and cannot just do individual songs. I am sure that will be updated in the future.
  • Decent so far....but I've been using it heavy with the GPS tracking and constantly turning to look at the faces
  • Yes
  • Yes, no
  • On my Blaze I used to do a figure 8 loop around my fiancée's neighborhood and it would cut off a quarter of the loop. The Ionic picks up the whole thing and even noticed when stepped off the roa walked just on the edge of a field
  • This watch is awesome!
?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@gibbyhome wrote:

So I just ordered the new Ionic and it should arrive on Friday and was wondering about the ones that have received their Ionic so far what do you think?

• is it very heavy or light ? - It is comparable to the Blaze - comfortable.  Band is a bit funky
  • is it to big ? - seems to be the same size as the Blaze - not too big to me
  • what to you think about transferring music? - Cant get that to work at all - joined Pandora and tried to copy my own music - just useless.  Can't get my wireless headphones to connect - so not sure that the music will ever work for me
  • how is the battery life? - very good - seems to last a long time - takes a long time to charge but holds it a long time.  Then again nothing is really working (syncing, weather app, music, etc.) so maybe when it starts working the battery life will degrade
  • is the screen bright enough? - screen is great
  • do it stay on long enough to read your text messages and can you respond to texts from the watch. - cannot respond to texts on the watch.  It doesn't always recognize the tilt like the Blaze did.  Have to hit the left button
  • how is the accuracy 

There are so many issues with the watch and so many complaints that I am unsure if I have a lemon, or that Fitbit sent out a device way before its time.  They don't seem capable of handling the communication needed to respond to issues in a timely manner or help us stay out of the dark.  Lots of use of Bluetooth to transfer files which is very slow and doesn't seem reliable.  I've been applying an update to the Ionic for over 90 minutes and its only about 60% complete.  I love Fitbit and want to love the brand, but am struggling with the amount of issues, things that are broken and the slowness of the remedies.  As a loyal customer I would have waited for the device to hit the market and hit a homerun, but this is pushing the loyalty to the brink....

Hoping that this update finishes within the next 90 minutes and that I don't have to spend another few hours wresting with the Ionic.  The biggest frustration is that even though it appears that I got a bad device, the amount of issues on these forums makes me think that it is not just me... 

Best Answer

So far I am pretty torn about whether I like this or not. I loved my Charge HR, but I had the one prior to being able to swap bands and it eventually just came apart. I am a geek about all of the potential fitness info that this watch offers, but I have had several issues that give me a lot of pause and make me wonder if I am going to keep this.

I am consistently not getting notifications on my watch. They happen sometimes, but not most of the time. I use a Google Pixel XL. I've tried restarting my phone, watch, pairing and unpairing, etc. I am really hoping the firmware update (that never takes just the estimated 10 minutes) is going to solve this. I know this is a new piece of tech, but this is really disappointing so far.

So far my issues are that I could not get the small band to latch properly (I contacted support 3 times about this and they were pretty patronizing--figured it out after the watch almost fell off my wrist while just walking), could not get watch to pair to my phone to control music I was playing on my phone (support told me this couldn't be done until I pointed the person to the support article that explains how and he continued to tell me I was doing it incorrectly), and now I cannot receive text notifications. I have never received email notifications. I do receive calendar reminders when the notifications are working. 

I'm glad I bought this from Fitbit directly so I can give it up to the 45 days to see if they get some of these kinks worked out. I get that this isn't a full smartwatch, and I don't expect it to be. I adore the fitness features and sleep tracking. I just want it to work as promised! 

Best Answer

Update to post below...

After calling support, my new Iconic is now providing the notifications. Happier now. I will keep it.

Still, it needs a lot of work to catch up to the pebble on the "smart" capability!

Thank you support...

----------------------------

Delivered a day earlier than expected... 

It counts steps, heart rate, and other health-related features...

That's the positive.

No notifications work with my S8+. That's right none! Not calls, texts, Gmail, Outlook, etc.

I bought the Blaze when it came out and sent it back 24hrs later it was such a disappointment.

Contemplating the future of my Ionic... Still hoping for it to be a matter of "user error".... but doubtful!

When will technologists learn... doing fewer things correctly is better than doing more things badly!

Bring back Pebble. Thankfully I still have mine.

-Smiley Mad

Best Answer

I would call support, this isn’t an issue with most users so you might just have a bad os image on your watch and would need to redownload the os

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you're not getting any notifications I would check your app permissions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Loving the device so far. It has replaced my Garmin 5x. 

I agree, it is difficult to setup (I'm an IT manager and it took me some time to get everything working), but once you are there, its a great device. I have music synced, fitbit pay working, and accurate heart rate/gps logging etc. 

I don't use notifications. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Working great for me...... after I found out that it doesn't support 5GHZ WiFi.

I surprised the cashier when I purchased by using the watch. One of the fortunate ones with bank access.

Last night I compared the sleeping HR and sleep graphs for both products. I have the wrist setting as non-dominant because I'm ambidextrous.  The colours of the HR graphs over a 10 hour period are  incorrect for my Fat burning but if you take a 1 hr snapshot it is ok

I expect the Ionic to give me slightly different results but they are in the ballpark for me.

hr compare 4oct17.jpg1 hr ionic 4oct17.jpgsleep both 4oct17.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes