Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my ioconic step count lower than my iphone

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Ioconic shows I have done 3864 steps but my IPhone shows almost 800 more steps. Why aren’t they the same?

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

They are both approximations, limited by the nature of the technology. Which one do you think is more accurate? Could you do a test where, for example, you count out 200 steps and see what the fitbit & phone count?

If we know which one is least accurate we can look at possible causes.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunnerwrote:

My Ioconic shows I have done 3864 steps but my IPhone shows almost 800 more steps. Why aren’t they the same?

Just a guess here, but, I'm betting your Ionic (like a lot of fitness wearables) counts various arm movements as steps even though they aren't.  I don't have an Ionic but use the Charge 2 (which I really like).  I was putting a belt on a few weeks back and noticed the Charge 2 counting my arm movements as steps.  The way I look at steps being counted, as long as the wearable is counting consistently each day I'm happy.  Meaning its counting my activity even though it might not be steps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Even that being the case, my iconic should show a higher number than my IPhone but it’s almost 1000 steps lower count. Makes no sense.

Irmeli's IPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunnerwrote:
Even that being the case, my iconic should show a higher number than my IPhone but it’s almost 1000 steps lower count. Makes no sense.

Irmeli's IPad

Have you tried changing the Ionic's settings to non dominant? This should make it a bit more sensitive and less likely to try and compensate for false steps. This might be why it's overall count is lower the the phone.

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner there are situations where wrist trackers fail to accurately count steps, for me it under counts when my arms aren't moving while walking -- usually when pushing a shopping cart around Costco. Folks mentioned the over counting scenario above.

For example at Costco I receive ~3000 steps on my iPhone, while my Fitbit wrist tracker only picks up a couple hundred steps.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes