Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Ionic Pair with Bose SoundSport Free?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'd like to be able to run and workout without my phone, or headphones with a cord (Flyer included).  Will these earbuds pair with the Ionic? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
18 REPLIES 18

As long as they are Bluetooth Headphones, you should have NO problems!

Hope this helped and keep on STEPPING!

Community Council Member

Gunny | Richmond, VA (USA)

Ionic Adidas Edition, Versa Special Edition, Aria 2 & Flyer | iPhone & Windows 10

Take a look at the Fitbit Help site for further Assistance & Information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Were you able to figure out?  Mine won't pair with my bose soundsport free wireless earbuds.

It would be great to figure this out.

@JamesJohnB wrote:

I'd like to be able to run and workout without my phone, or headphones with a cord (Flyer included).  Will these earbuds pair with the Ionic? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is a bluetooth device but will not show up when I try to add them to my ionic.  

I am hopping someone has a solution that worked for them.

@GySgt_Seidell wrote:

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MajorPlans wrote:

It is a bluetooth device but will not show up when I try to add them to my ionic.  

@GySgt_Seidell wrote:

SUGGESTION: 

1. "Settings"

2. "Bluetooth Connection Options"

3. "+Audio Device"

4. Place your Bose in Bluetooth Discovery mode

5. The ionic should now indicate your Bose

I have the Beoplay E8's and this procedure worked fine.

Hope this helped and Keep on STEPPING!

Community Council Member

Ionic Adidas Edition, Versa Special Edition, Aria 2 & Flyer | iPhone & Windows 10

Best Answer
0 Votes

I will try it in the morning.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

@GySgt_Seidell wrote:

@MajorPlans wrote:

@GySgt_Seidell wrote:

SUGGESTION: 

1. "Settings"

2. "Bluetooth Connection Options"

3. "+Audio Device"

4. Place your Bose in Bluetooth Discovery mode

5. The ionic should now indicate your Bose

I have the Beoplay E8's and this procedure worked fine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also, not quite sure how to place my bose bluetooth into discovery mode...will let you know after trying it out in the morning.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MajorPlans wrote:

Also, not quite sure how to place my bose bluetooth into discovery mode...will let you know after trying it out in the morning.

BOSE PAIRING:

Connect an additional mobile device - You can store up to seven connected devices in the headphones pairing list. Note: You can only connect and play audio from one device at a time:
1. On the left earbud, press and hold the Bluetooth button until the Bluetooth indicator on each earbud blinks blue or until you hear “Ready to connect.”
Note: To hear the voice prompt, make sure you are wearing the headphones.
2. On your mobile device, turn on the Bluetooth feature.
Tip: The Bluetooth feature is usually found in the Settings menu

3. Select your Bose headphones from the device list. Once connected, a voice prompt from the right earbud announces “Connected to <device name>" and the Bluetooth indicator on each earbud glows solid white.

Hope me this helped and keep on STEPPING!

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MajorPlans wrote:

Here you go:

Connect a Mobile Device (Per the Bose Manual):
You can store up to seven connected devices in the headphones pairing list. Note: You can only connect and play audio from one device at a time.
1. On the left earbud, press and hold the Bluetooth button until the Bluetooth indicator on each earbud blinks blue or until you hear “Ready to connect.” Note: To hear the voice prompt, make sure you are wearing the headphones.
Bluetooth button
2. On your mobile device, turn on the Bluetooth feature. Tip: The Bluetooth feature is usually found in the Settings menu.
3. Select your Bose headphones from the device list.  Once connected, a voice prompt from the right earbud announces “Connected to <device name>" and the Bluetooth indicator on each earbud glows solid white.

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the Bose SoundSport Free and Fitbit Ionic and I've had a problem that others have reported as well. When the Bose pair with the Ionic only the right earpiece is active.  Some have blamed FitBit but I think it's a problem with the combination.

In fairness to Bose, they work perfectly with my iPhone every time.  However, I think the problem with the Ionic is the way that the two earpieces connect:  the R piece connects to the device and the L is a "slave".  I believe when the Bose connect to the Ionic the R connects but loses its connection to the L.

I've found that if I first connect my Bose Free to my iPhone, then disconnect by holding the bluetooth button on the L earpiece, then tap connect on the Ionic, I get stereo sound.  However, if I put the Bose Free back in the case then take them out and try to connect to the Ionic immediately I only get sound out of the R earpiece.  Note that I've already paired my Bose Free to my Ionic previously (and I've tried removing them, rebooting the Ionic, then pairing to the Bose Free again ... did not help).

Hopefully this annoying problem will be fixed with a future firmware update for one or both devices!

Hope this is help to others wrestling with this problem.

Best Answer

The answer for this is yes, they ll pair, but your bose soundsport free will not be able to play any music, well.. if you can bear a frequent 1 secs delay.

Best Answer
0 Votes

ArcherTC: I think you are on to something here. With the latest firmware on the earbuds (2.56), here's what I've found...

With a clean boot on the Ionic (soft reset), first connect to your phone, but don't play any music. Disconnect the earbuds from the phone using the button on the left earpiece. THEN connect the earbuds to the Ionic.

When I follow this (admittedly painful) procedure, I get stereo audio from the Ionic to the earbuds. If I play music on the phone or don't reboot my Ionic, I will either get no connection or mono audio.

Since the earbuds connect to my phone every time, I think this IS a Fitbit problem. My earbuds worked much better on a previous firmware (possibly 2 releases ago for the earbuds), so Bose could have an issue also.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is the status now?

I am planning to buy Bose sound sports free, pair with ionic for running.

Did you make them work together?

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I managed today although it was quite tricky to do. I initially followed the instructions on Bose user guide, however that proved unhelpful. The video on fitbit help was how I managed to work out how to pair the Bose Sound Sport with Fitbit Ionic. I'd recommend watching that and it will help you pair the two successfully.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I purchased the Bose SoundSport Free wireless earbuds a few days ago.  Store representative (from Bose) assured me they would work with my Fitbit Ionic.  I was successful in pairing them initially, but

unable to for the past few days.  Like someone else posted, the Ionic finds the device, but then just 'stalls' out on "pairing".  I've tried everything that has been recommended with no luck. : (  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't use the Ionic as sound source very often but tested today and it paired fine with the Bose. Be sure your SoundSport Free have the latest firmware, it was updated in the last few months. Also the Fitbit but that's  pretty much automatic. Not sure what else to do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine paired, but only plays out of one ear   😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue - ionic will only connect with / play in left earbud if I connect the Bose sound sports to an iPhone or iPad before the ionic. 

Anyone have a resolution other than this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same trouble with the left ear when connecting to the Bose soundsport. I have a lot more luck in pairing to my Ionic if I switch bluetooth off on my phone. With music stereo is hit and miss. I listen to podcasts often and they are more prone to be right ear only. It could be they are recorded in mono. Anybody know if mono can be activated in both ears??

Best Answer
0 Votes