Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will it be possible to use an Ionic purchased on eBay after the recall?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm ready to send my Ionic back and have ordered a Sense, but I need a watch with physical buttons on the side of it for one activity a week.  Will it be possible to purchase an Ionic on ebay, install an app to it, and use it for that activity, or will they all be remotely deactivated / not sync with the app at a certain date?

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

Hi @mgeorgalas  did you see the information about the recall? click to read. Really, why would you want to wear the Ionic knowing there is an issue with it? Maybe find a different Fitbit that would track that one activity for you. What activity are you going to be tracking?

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

@mgeorgalas I think it would continue to work. I had to tick a box saying that I agree to Fitbit disabling my Ionic, also they are offering the user compensation to do this. Why offer compensation if they can just freely disable them. So I don't think it's something thay can just do without the users permission. The real question is whether you can find one on ebay, in the UK it looks like all of the listings have been taken down. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

I use the Football Referee Timer app while officiating football.  It's the best app I can find that covers both the game and play clock and allows adding seconds back to the clock.  It says it works with the Sense, but it would be difficult to use without physical buttons.

I've worn the same Ionic for 4 years without issue, I figure 3 to 4 hours on the weekend wouldn't be a problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, @mgeorgalas@Odyssey13 and @N8teGee Thanks for your great help.

@mgeorgalas I understand your concern about the recall of Ionic. Please note we recommend using the Sense or any other Fitbit device to ensure your experience with it, as well as the performance of its features.

For answers to common questions, visit our webpage at help.fitbit.com/ionic. Your safety is always our top priority, and we are taking this action out of an abundance of caution. Thank you for your continued support and being a member of the Fitbit family.

Best Answer

Actually my IONIC syncing got disabled / removed from the account real quick after the account verification had been performed.

So yes - it is showing its display still as long as it has battery power, but it stopped updating the profile since.

And to be honest - are you sure you want to risk the battery overheating issue with all of its possible health consequences or burning your home in the night just for continuing to use the buttons ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mgeorgalas-  as a second hand Ionic may have been disabled already there is a strong chance it will not even work, especially if it was reset to factory condition as you won't be able to set it up, sync the time or use it.

A second hand Versa [original] has 3 buttons and is compatible with the app you use.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

I think @Guy_ has found the solution. The lack of GPS on the Versa will be a non issue as you only want to use it for one app. Just make sure it's the original Versa as the Versa 2 went to a single button design. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Thank you, I wasn't aware there was a Versa model that had buttons.  Thanks for your help.

Best Answer

Everyone's free to do as he likes...

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2022/Fitbit-Recalls-Ionic-Smartwatches-Due-to-Burn-Hazard-One-Million-S...

----

Incidents/Injuries:

Fitbit has received at least 115 reports in the United States (and 59 reports internationally) of the battery in the watch overheating with 78 reports of burn injuries in the United States including two reports of third-degree burns and four reports of second-degree burns (and 40 reports of burn injuries internationally).

----

It might seem very unlikely (~175 issues out of ~1.7M sold devices = 0,01% chance at presence), still I personally wouldn't wanna be one of the people affected...

Best Answer

I note there are a few Ionics for sale on a well known auction site - strictly for spares/repairs/recycling etc. Possibly a good working battery could be useful ??

Best Answer
0 Votes

On second thoughts - The battery is the problem ? so disregard my posting

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mgeorgalas   The Ionic will eventually get decommissioned, meaning it will no longer sync.  I don't know how when this will happen.  Fitbit recalled a different device, the Force, years ago because of a different issue.  I never used the Force and didn't pay attention to that after the recall.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everybody, thank you for visiting the Fitbit Community.

Currently, as you might know there is a voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches.

For more information, please visit this thread.

I am going to close this thread, but if there is anything else we can help you with, you are welcome to visit the link shared above.

Have a nice day.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer