Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you buy the Ionic again?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello...

I'm trying to decide which model to purchase, and I'm leaning toward the Ionic.  However, I'm seeing a lot of negative topics on this board.  Of course, that's in great part what the board is for - to help resolve issues.

Would you purchase the Ionic again, or would you recommend a different model?

Thanks!

Best Answer
37 REPLIES 37

I love my ionic.  Best fitbit i have owned.  As a swimmer/hiker, i love the features of tracking workouts and hikes with the GPS functionality.  also love the battery life.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A year ago I would have said yes. 

If I could not live without the built in gps then yes I would by an ironic. 

However with the Versa 2 and the more advanced hardware along with Alexa and being able to respond to texts by voice. I'll stick with the Versa 2

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had two die within a year. Wouldn't suggest it.

Best Answer

I wouldn't buy another fitbit having had two fail so far, and paid for two!

i will only have them while they are replaced or repaired free of charge

Best Answer

I wouldn't and I haven't after my Ionic died. Poor quality is one reason but I got used to use features that no Fitbit device supports. Some of them.are:

- connecting external sensors (HR, bike sensor and others)

- on-watch GPS navigation

- multisport support

- GPS optional for any activity

- custom exercises

- real Spotify support

- structured workouts (very useful)

As long as Fitbit can't support at least those, I have no reason to buy Ionic or any other device. I can't imagine not having those features (well, I can live without Spotify, I use it rarely).

Best Answer
0 Votes

To be honest, no.

my recent experience with a faulty Ionic has soured my take on the brand. Being shipped a faulty “refurbished” Ionic didn’t help either.

Best Answer

I've had mine for a whopping 6 days and would not do it over. The amount of issues these things have is ridiculous. 

Best Answer

My Ionic has worked perfectly until recently. I bought it during the summer of 2018. Last week the screen decided to malfunction internally. I contacted customer support and was given a 25% discount towards a newer model or 40% off of the Versa Lite since I am out of the warranty period. Quality-wise, from my experience, it's a watch that is not meant to last very long. The Ionic was launched on August 28, 2017. It's due for an upgrade. I hope my experience helps you make a better decision.  

Best Answer

I would NOT buy this watch again. I never post about stuff or give reviews anywhere but this watch has been a very frustrating purchase and I felt I needed to comment.  I just posted for the first time as this watch just doesn’t work consistently in terms of its connection to your iPhone and app notifications.  Get an Apple Watch.  

Best Answer

No.  Apparently none of the Fitbit devices are compatible with the most recent IOS update.  I have had issues with my Ionic vibrating for step reminders and text notifications since Sept 2019.  Recently I got the notification feature back; however, it will not vibrate to alert me of notifications or to step.  They have no clue on how to resolve the issue and cannot provide a timeline regarding when the issue will be resolve!  Nor are they will to provide warranty support for replacement!!  So most likely in 2020 I will switch to Garmin or Apple unfortunately 😔.

Best Answer

I'm on the fence with this.

It's got great battery life and does what I need it to do. Swimming. GPS running and cycling. 

The most recent update bricked my device and thankfully I was able to get a replacement. If I didn't get that I would have gone with the Garmin 645 Music.

I would certainly look else where if you want Spotify offline. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No. I wish I could say Yes but I've had two fail in two years. With that track record, I'd be hard pressed to recommend this device to anyone. I did love it when it worked but when I sought help for my 2nd Ionic's death, I was offered a pitiful discount to buy a new one. I went another way. Wish you well, however you decide!

Best Answer

I definitely wouldn't purchase the Ionic again, given all the compatibility issues.  A perfect case in point: When you install the ionic app, the app itself does not even list the Ionic device for set up.  Perfectly worthless and an utter waste of money -- I don't know if I will ever purchase a Fitbit again, quite frankly, given my level of dissatisfaction with it.

Best Answer

not sure you know what you're talking about... there isn't a specific ionic app and instead the regular fitbit app. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Actually, I am talking about the regular Fitbit app - when you go to the “install a new device” section, it lists all the different devices for install, but does not list the Ionic. There are many other problems too. However, since you seem to know what you’re talking about, please explain where in the regular Fitbit app it provides the install icon for the Ionic.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually, I am talking about the regular Fitbit app - that's how pathetic the integration is.  If you go to the "install a new device" section of the regular Fitbit app, it doesn't even list the Ionic.  However, give your apparent knowledge on this topic, please direct me to where the Ionic icon is located in the "install a new device" section of the regular Fitbit app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi, 

open the fitbit app

click on your profile picture in the upper left

under devices select the "+ set up a device".  Ionic will be there under that list.  being a regular fitbit ionic user, i love my device.. but also realize it's not for everyone.  If you still don't see it, i recommend making sure you're using the most updated version of the app through your app store.  thanks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Unfortunately, it is not under that list for set up; also, I’ve tried to separately connect it to my iPhone instead, but it won’t recognize the device. The response from Fitbit support was: “well, Apple is updating things all the time, so we can’t stay current with everything.” I have not been able to fully utilize any of the online “features” of this device as a result, and have been reduced to simply using it as a real time tracker. Again, this is why I’m moving on, after being a Fitbit customer for years … too bad, really.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@BuckMulligan_ not sure about iPhone but I see Ionic on the list on my Android phone:

Screenshot_20191230-204853_Fitbit.jpg

Best Answer