Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZDNet Fitbit Ionic review

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

A very positive review from ZDNet: http://www.zdnet.com/product/fitbit-ionic/

I'm stoked! Can't wait to get mine.

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

That was a good review; actually a little better than I expected. I think the watch looks good and most of the reviewers, good and bad, are saying the watch looks better in real life. I still plan to stick to my strategy and wait for the inevitable Black Friday sale. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

don't forget :

- the demo version is always better that's the one you purchased Man Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds great!

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@datalore wrote:

That was a good review; actually a little better than I expected. I think the watch looks good and most of the reviewers, good and bad, are saying the watch looks better in real life. I still plan to stick to my strategy and wait for the inevitable Black Friday sale. 

Plans and reality are two different things... 😉 If you can indeed hold out, you're a stronger man then I am haha.

I agree though, good positive review. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Lol, yeah everybody has a fight plan until they get hit in the mouth. I have a friend that preordered and I'm gonna let him be a beta tester for me. I plan to hold out, but like you said that's easier said than done. 

Best Answer

For many folks on this forum, its the only review worth reading. The others I've read are more balanced, and recognize its a good activity tracker but not a real smartwatch. Up to you to decide if its worth paying a steep price for something that Fitbit hasn't finished, and will likely upgrade hardware in a year to keep catching up with smartwatches. For a similar reason its why I purchased the cheapest AW when it was released two years ago.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

Yeah I purchased the original Apple Watch and evidently sold it. It's still not worth the cost to me even with all the upgrades since years later. 

Its still a smart watch first and fitness tracker second. 

Best Answer

MarketWatch less positive. Article includes a roundup of reviews which is interesting: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fitbit-stock-falls-after-reviews-for-ionic-smartwatch-2017-09-19

Fenix 5 Plus. Previously Ionic and Surge. Google Pixels 3 and 5. Aria. Chromebook. Deezer and Audible.
Best Answer

I think, like most tech products the ionic is going to be hit and miss. It looks like the AW 3 is having problems right now; I'm sure they'll get it sorted and apple can afford to have glitches; fitbit can't. I have no brand loyalty and tell people to get the best product for them. For me fitbit is the better watch; I don't care about responding to text or calling from my wrist, but everyone is different and we can all choose what works best for us individually. 

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/20/16334066/apple-watch-series-3-lte-new-features-review-2017

Best Answer

It's funny how different articles process the same information (I suppose spin shouldn't be that surprising).

It's a fitness device with some smart watch capabilities.  It was never trying to be (nor should) an "Apple Watch Killer".  And almost every review I see says the same thing in a different way:  If you want a fitness tracker with some smart capability, Fitbit. If you want a smart watch with some fitness tracking, AW3.

It's as simple as that really.  Maybe some thought this would overthrow Apple, but I'm not sure it was ever supposed to be about that (if that was what they were trying for, it was probably a doomed strategy from the start, at least at the price point).  As far as the bit about the out of the box apps lacking, let's give it a hot second or two and see what the market comes out with along with interested end-user developers.

Best Answer

@minigno wrote:

It's funny how different articles process the same information (I suppose spin shouldn't be that surprising).

It's a fitness device with some smart watch capabilities.  It was never trying to be (nor should) an "Apple Watch Killer".  And almost every review I see says the same thing in a different way:  If you want a fitness tracker with some smart capability, Fitbit. If you want a smart watch with some fitness tracking, AW3.

It's as simple as that really.  Maybe some thought this would overthrow Apple, but I'm not sure it was ever supposed to be about that (if that was what they were trying for, it was probably a doomed strategy from the start, at least at the price point).  As far as the bit about the out of the box apps lacking, let's give it a hot second or two and see what the market comes out with along with interested end-user developers.

Couldn't agree more. Fitbit is doing what they do best. I always thought the comparisons was apples and oranges, pun intended, becuase they are really 2 different products. I'll buy an ionic so I can create my own apps and track my workouts. I don't care about calling from my wrist or responding to text, but I'm a different user. People should buy what fits them; this debate back and forth about which consumer products is better is interesting, but ultimately unlikely to change any opinions. Get what works for you and what you like best with the features you need and want. 

Best Answer

Fitbit management doesn't agree, just look at press release headline:

Fitbit Launches Ionic, the Ultimate Health and Fitness Smartwatch

I guess in the future Fitbit will be forced to call the 2nd gen just "Ionic" and not "Ionic 2" because this one is already the ultimate.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

*Health and fitness* smart watch. Qualified. Not "Apple watch killer".  As far as use of "ultimate", it's hardly shocking in a marketing statement. I've never seen any company announce a product with "XYZCorp launches Widget, a pretty decent product."

@bbarrera wrote:

Fitbit management doesn't agree, just look at press release headline:

Fitbit Launches Ionic, the Ultimate Health and Fitness Smartwatch

I guess in the future Fitbit will be forced to call the 2nd gen just "Ionic" and not "Ionic 2" because this one is already the ultimate.

Best Answer

Ultimate is a very strong adjective. The Ionic is not the ultimate. Fitbit will come out with a better fitness and health smartwatch. Companies that are compelled to use such strong language, instead of plain language, make me wonder what management is thinking. 

Whatever. Happy to agree to disagree. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dude, it's marketing and typical language:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2016/09/apple-introduces-apple-watch-series-2/

From one year ago, and I quote:

"Apple introduces Apple Watch Series 2, the ultimate device for a healthy life".

I won't even go into the title's claim about it providing a healthy life and that it doesn't concentrate on being the best smart watch. But here we are, merely a year later, we are hearing of a new and improved series 3.

Best Answer

@minigno wrote:

"Apple introduces Apple Watch Series 2, the ultimate device for a healthy life".

I won't even go into the title's claim about it providing a healthy life and that it doesn't concentrate on being the best smart watch. But here we are, merely a year later, we are hearing of a new and improved series 3.

I was just about to say the same thing, all companies are guilty of this. Apple do it every year and were the first to spring to mind. Obviously a manufacturer is always going to claim its current product is the best thing since slice bread. Whether or not it is, well that's subjective. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

@minigno wrote:

Hilarious, and thanks for finding that.

Battle of the ultimates!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

ultimate = last planned / delivered

until next year

Best Answer
0 Votes