Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ionic heart rate is not recording properly in the app

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The heart rate recorded in the app is lower than what is showing on the actual ionic.  I confirmed by looking at my heartbeat a few times while running around, and it was 138 on the screen, but when I synced the ionic, the app showed a maximum of 120 for that period.

Anybody has the same issue? the ionic records heart rate accurately, but something goes wonky during data transfer? 

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @Bluefairie,

The app is displaying an averaged heart rate, so brief peaks and dips in heart rate that you'll see real-time on the watch, get averaged out in the graph shown on the app. Does that make sense?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

It does, but the pattern is not steady.  What is the average calculated on? one minute? 2? 5?
sometimes I get high heart rates consistently for almost nothing, while this time I was at least 10 minutes at 138 and it showed as a tiny (short) 120 peak. I noticed it for the first time after doing a 30 minutes fast walk, keeping the same pace for the whole 30 minutes and the heart rate was way too low for the whole time.

Best Answer

I found the same problem. The momentarily peak heart rateduring workout is important. Not just by averaging out everything to simplify he algorithm. The lowest heart rate when sleeping is equally important. Workout and sleeping heart rates should be given more attention. Daily resting heart rate could be nore forgiving and simpler as it is now. 

Best Answer

My HR during workouts ( especially intense ones ) is mostly rubbish so the only solution I found is using a different HR monitor ( chest strap ) and then I just override tracked exercise to correct energy expenditure. How do I know Ionic isn't correct here? Very often in the middle of an exercise, my HR drops to nearly my resting HR ( I don't know how fit I would have to be to be able to perform push-ups with HR of 60bpm 😉 ) and very often I just see two dashes, which means Ionic can't read my HR. Therefore, I have no reason to trust it in regard to my energy expenditure. I know it won't get any better so yeah, that's the solution - use a different device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine are pretty accurate when working out. I tested it when doing cardio on treadmill, the cardio machine also got heart rate monitor which I believe can be used as reference. Before I start to jog I measure and compare to my ionic, and compare again just right I cool down, I did it 3 times per session continuously for 3 weeks already, seems pretty accurate. Same on spinning machine. The only issue is the real time data not sync correctly to my phone, they claim they just log the average HR, so I coudn't refer back my actual heart rate performance when doing the same intensity of cardio as I working out regularly over some time. Too unprofessional for a company that produce a sport smart watch. Hardware is there but lacking of software ability to back it up. 

Best Answer

You described the same problem I have been having for the past month.  HR will go down to near resting rate or show two dashes for 30-90 sec and then come back up.  I also have had to resort to using a chest HR monitor (Polar) and a phone app.  It seems to be a problem only when exercising, or on the exercising app.  I have had the watch for 1.5 years now, so it is strange for this to start happening.  But if the watch is this unreliable for a critical activity I may have to consider another watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes