Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Fitbit" on Face of Ionic

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi All,

I'm a long time Fitbit user and I'm looking forward to the Ionic, but I was reading the mashable review (not a good one - http://mashable.com/2017/09/19/fitbit-ionic-smartwach-review/#3v.IkvD7.kqr) and it never occurred to me how the screen has a lot of dead space and the "Fitbit" logo is always there.  Maybe Fitbit should have either made a bigger screen or made it smaller to reduce the dark dead space and definitely remove the name.  Everyone knows it's a Fitbit and the person wearing it doesn't need a constant reminder. 

I actually prefer the look of the screen on my Surge over the Ionic.  Am I being too picky? 

Also, the reviews of the Ionic has not been stellar devaluating Fitbit in its stock price (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fitbit-stock-falls-after-reviews-for-ionic-smartwatch-2017-09-19) so should we invest $300 or wait for a better Fitbit product? 

I probably will buy the Ionic since I have a long history with Fitbit, but they haven't made it easy for me to stay (my 3 year old Surge has seen better days and needs to retire).  The Garmin Vivoactive 3 is probably a better all around smartwatch, yet I stay with Fitbit as a loyal consumer. 

Fitbit has to do better with the little things such as:

1. reply to texts

2. better screen (reducing the dark areas and removing "Fitbit")

3. Fitpay needs more banks to support us

I'm trying my best not to leave Fitbit!

Best Answer
33 REPLIES 33

@shipo She did say it was OVER 90 feet! 🤣🤣

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@NellyG wrote:

@shipo She did say it was OVER 90 feet! 🤣🤣

Yup, I saw that.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Testimony777 wrote:

@bbarrera wrote:

To anyone that says "I don't care" or "I have no use" you honestly don't know what your missing. Its disingenuous to dismiss a practical and useful feature just because Ionic doesn't have it. Just move on and don't bother to comment because when it comes to a future Fitbit you will be grateful to have voice commands and replies. 

I know that I represent a minority (perhaps a small one at that) but I am purchasing the Ionic over the Apple Watch BECAUSE responding to texts and phone calls is NOT supported. In fact that is the primary reason I ended up with a Fitbit Charge 2 instead of an Apple Watch Series 2 in the first place (along with battery life).The thing that pushed me into the wearables market was fitness tracking, apart from that I hated the idea of smart watches. Not only do I not want to always be connected I don't want to signal to people that I am always connected and that I can always be reached, that is what a smart watch (especially the Apple Watch) signals.

My reason for wanting to upgrade from my Charge 2 is that I have liked being able to see texts, calendar reminders and incoming phone calls on my Charge 2 and wanted better support of those features as well as a waterproof device. However, if the Ionic had the ability to respond to calls and texts I would have gone with the Blaze and sucked up the fact that it is not waterproof. Again, I recognize that I am in the minority, but I am also pretty sure I am not alone. There are some of us for whom it is not just a matter of "not caring" about or having no "use for" certain smart watch features, we don't want them.  

Exactly. I don't understand the constant phone addiction. I want to be disconnected at times and I don't want the abality to respond from a watch. I think you and I are in the minority, but it's good to see someone that understands where I'm coming from. I've said it before; I'm becoming "get off my lawn" guy at an early age. I like silence. 

Best Answer

@minigno wrote:

From all your posts here, on a Fitbit forum, you clearly do not believe the Fitbit products are right for you...between not providing the metrics that YOU want, to the smart functions, etc.

@minigno Really? I have an Aria scale, like it and wish Fitbit supported sync to my phone's Health app. I've owned and enjoyed Flex, upgraded to Force and reluctantly sent it back under a recall. Gave Surge (too bulky) and Blaze a chance. My current tracker is my iPhone using MobileTrack, works well but no active minutes/HR/sleep. My bike rides and spin sessions are auto sync'd to Fitbit. Participate in step challenges from time-to-time. Would love to see Fitbit improve the app and dashboard for those of us that cycle instead of run for cardio. 

Honestly a bit torn over Ionic, the first deal breaker is that my Costco (Citi) and United MileagePlus (Chase) Visa cards are not supported. Love quickly paying with my watch, not giving that up. Once my credit cards are supported, I'd like to pick up an Ionic and test HR accuracy vs AW0 vs chest strap while cycling.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but it sounded like, from the product as is, you are very unhappy with it and you keep pointing out how the others products achieve things the watch can't do in it's current form.  That, to me, would say it doesn't sound like it is for you.

I would like to see some of the features, but I'm very excited for the product as is.  It tracks the metrics that I like to make sure I'm not constantly sitting all day and moving the amount I want, as my job is very sedentary. I also don't want to sit for long stretches as it is being shown in more and more studies that sitting for long periods is the "new smoking" as far as health and even if you work out hard in the morning and burn some calories, if you sit for long stretches, it can completely off set the health gains of the morning workout. I don't need detailed metrics of how my numbers for a very specific activity trend.  I'm not in any competitive sport/activity and don't need those metrics...Garmin makes very good products for those with those needs.

I've had the One for years and was very happy...and it would have continued to work fantastically if it didn't fall out of my pocket when I was out one night.  I then got the Flex 2, which I really enjoy, but miss the ability to track altitude gains throughout the day (or on a hike).  Adding the ability to see my stats on my device again and getting some heart rate readings (even if only semi accurate) to help track my level of activity beyond steps, also appeals greatly to me.

On top of that, I love the gameification of the fitbit platform (badging, fun goal alerts etc).  It keeps it fun and motivating to me.  This watch, as is, is perfect for me.  I may start using the pay feature.  I'm not really worried about the ability to respond to texts via my wrist...if I can see who it is and part of the message I know if I need to go grab my phone or not (which I always have on me anyway, I don't find the idea of managing work emails and writing texts from a small watch interface very appealing...I don't like speaking my texts out loud, because then others around me hear what I'm saying).

The smart features I'll start playing with and see if they add value for me. I am a paying FitStar member and I'm very excited about having Fitbit Coach workouts on the watch...when I'm doing pushups or crunches it's easier to look at my wrist or some other notification for pacing.

In short, this watch seems to be more aimed at users like myself for now...people who are into health in fitness, but not necessarily competitively, and like modern, digital age interfaces along with some app ability, but doing a lot of things from my watch isn't necessarily appealing. As others have mentioned, it hits the sweet spot for a lot of people between the existing choices out there.

Best Answer

@minigno wrote:

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but it sounded like, from the product as is, you are very unhappy with it

Ionic is promising, and I'd say disappointed is more accurate description of how I feel. 

I'm a Fitbit fan, yet can't help feel disappointed over the lack of some very basic app features that should have been added when Surge was launched with ads in Bicycling Magazine (and surprise, no Bike mode for months!). And after a pretty lame implementation of Fitstar on Blaze, here we are 2.5 years after Fitstar acquisition and it still won't be possible to enter reps, time completed, and how it felt on the device that is guiding us on the workout. The whole basis of Fitstar personalization is based on that feedback. I sincerely hope Fitbit adds that, and believe they will, but its really odd how this fundamental feature to Fitstar personalization didn't make it into Ionic launch. 

A lot of promise, a lot TBD.

Best Answer

@N8teGee wrote:

There's no reason why a future firmware update can't bring a text reply feature, well at least predefined text responses, and I suspect it probably will happen at some point. Just out of interest would you keep the Ionic if that happens to be the case? 

I am sure you are right about a future firmware release, especially since preset text responses was a popular feature on Pebble watches. I am hoping that people will just create apps that serve this function rather than an actual firmware update from Fitbit but we shall see. Either way, no; I will not get rid of my Ionic if/when that happens. As smartwatches are becoming more fitness oriented and fitness trackers more like smartwatches I recognize that at some point it will all be a wash. I am just glad that I have a little more time 🙂

Best Answer

Ha ha, ok, so, replies are not the real reason you bought a Charge 2 instead of Apple Watch, and want to upgrade to Ionic because it has better support of notifications (vs Charge 2). Nothing wrong with simply wanting a Fitbit instead of something else 😉

Enjoy your Ionic!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hmmm, can't imagine trying to respond to a text while I'm out on a run; I don't carry my phone
with me now and have no plans to start.

When I got my Pebble, I thought the same thing. But I actually found it quite useful.

Mind you, I'm not typing in a reply; when a text comes in and I get a vibration, I can select the "Reply" button, and then scroll through the list of canned replies.

In my case, I've set up replies like "I am currently driving and cannot reply now; I will respond when I reach my destination". I found that stops me getting repeated "you haven't replied, did you get my text" messages.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just for reference ... I used to use certain Garmin running watch and as I read your post I took a look at that watch whether it had logo or "garmin" written on it ... it did! But I swear I haven't thought about it and it certanly didn't prevent using the watch ... and it didn't distract me at all.

If you are using the watch, you look past the frame 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

@USAF-Larry wrote:

@Testimony777 wrote:

I know that I represent a minority (perhaps a small one at that) but I am purchasing the Ionic over the Apple Watch BECAUSE responding to texts and phone calls is NOT supported.

@Testimony777, you probably aren't as much in a minority as you think.  When I'm working out at the gym, I mute my phone so that it doesn't interrupt my workout. And, I see a lot of other people who do the same thing - they don't have such an important job that they can't take time out to be disconnected and be uninterrupted to have time for themselves.  Texts can be answered later, and phone calls can be returned, and the world will continue to turn....

totally agree! we should avoid becoming slaves of those toys 🙂

Best Answer

Robot Indifferent

Best Answer
0 Votes

... because you are now staring at your Apple watch? I'm literally laughing!

We want FITNESS trackers- and tracking sleeping is a huge part of fitness... guess what fitbit can do, that Apple watches don't? oh, yeah, track sleep stages. plus, apple watches are obscenely inaccurate as far as tracking fitness...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bbarrera wrote:

Ha ha, ok, so, replies are not the real reason you bought a Charge 2 instead of Apple Watch, and want to upgrade to Ionic because it has better support of notifications (vs Charge 2). Nothing wrong with simply wanting a Fitbit instead of something else 😉

Enjoy your Ionic!!

What are you talking about?

Best Answer
0 Votes