Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate day after drinking alcohol

ANSWERED

I am a data geek so I like tracking the HR data from my Fitbit.  I am an runner and I log my average heartrate during my runs as well as my resting heart rate for that day to get a % HR number.  It lets me know how hard I am working.

One thing I did notice about my resting heart rate is that it would elevate 1 - 3 bpm for the day after drinking alcohol (for me usually a couple of glasses of wine) the night before.  The HR would stay slightly elevated for a day or two, then drop back down again.

Has anyone else noticed a casual correlation between resting heart rate and low to moderate alcohol consumption?

Best Answer
254 REPLIES 254
But think of all the fun you'll have!
Best Answer

I’m glad someone else has noticed this. On a big night out (>3-4 drinks), my heart rate can do up 5-6 beats and take over a week to return to pre-night out rate.

Not sure why? It is worrying it has this prolonged effect physiologically. Maybe it is my body working harder to get the toxins out my system. It has really put me off alcohol. 

Best Answer
I know what you mean - it does put you off having a fun night out. On the
other hand, you have to have fun in life! Two other things I have really
noticed make a big difference (4-5 points) are coffee and stress.
Best Answer
Mine only lasts a day or two, but definitely is unsettling.  I had a couple (okay, 4) after work yesterday and up at least 5 this morning.  Not a good feeling.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S®6 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree it does put you off having a fun night out ... but you gotta figure
you are doing lots of good things for your health, so having fun once in a
while is allowed!
Best Answer

I managed to get my RHR down to 45/46 in November by way of strict diet, exercise and weight loss. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if I imbibe alcoholic beverages my RHR goes up from 1 to 8 beats; depending on how much and how often. So ... my solution was to limit alcohol to at most one evening per week; a big change from the nightly nightcap(s). This has helped me cut out empty calories, maintain my lower body weight, and frankly I just feel better every morning when I wake up. I actually lost weight through this holiday season. Smiley Happy At age 51, it doesn't get any easier, so if cutting out alcohol is all I have to do, I am glad to do it.  

Best Answer
Hey, good for you!! You must be good at change - it's not easy for most
people to do that. And that is nothing to do with being addicted to
alcohol, it's just that change of a daily pattern is hard for most. But I
know what you mean, none of us are getting any younger and it is good to do
what we can for the sake of better health!
Best Answer

JohnRi, Well said and very true. 

I too went through an epiphany when my heart rate and blood pressure went sky high as the result of alcohol after 40 years, in spite of being a fairly fit part time runner. I was wearing my Fitbit HR for a year and a half of my drinking time and for the past 18 months of being dry. My average heart rate dropped from mid 60's as a part time runner (every so often for a mile or so) to mid and low 50's running three and four times a week 2 to five miles. 

You might only be seeing a small impact to your average resting heart rate now, but regular drinking over time can mean a whole lot more later. 

Best Answer
Well done u x

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I think there is decent data in the medical literature that alcohol consumption is associated with tachycardia (fast heart rate) and other tachy (fast) arrhythmias.

That is a real bummer.

The real fear is your heart flipping into an arrhythmia called as Atrial Fibrillation. While benign on it face, this carries a real risk of stroke if not addressed.

The other co founders are alcoholic vasodilatation and precipitation of Obstructive sleep apnea in *cough* overweight individuals. That will definitely cause your heart rate to jump up and down.

The ideal solution is to abstain.

But in real world, I think it may be moderation. To eat before you drink (to retard the absorption of alcohol and spread it over a few hours). To drink early and at least 4 hrs before bed. and to hydrate well between drinks.

Best Answer
My usual RHR is in the low 60s. I'm 55 years old and try to get in 15K steps a day, but probably average closer to 13K this time of year with the bad weather. 
Of course the holidays don't help either with the parties and standing rib roasts and whatnot. So as usual my RHR rises from end of November until January when I once again decide that it's time to dry out and get serious about exercise again. 
I stopped drinking completly 8 days ago.  If you need any evidence of the effects of alcohol on RHR, here it is.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer

Screenshot_20180123-071529.png

Best Answer
Wow, that is a really dramatic visual!
Best Answer

I agree with you here. It is a good idea to drink a lot of water before going to bed after a night of drinking.

Best Answer
0 Votes

LRpeach, I agree with you here. It is a good idea to drink a lot of water before going to bed after a night of drinking.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found this post because I was looking for information on this topic. This week I’ve drank twice. Each night during sleep my RHR was at 95 when it’s normally 65ish. It actually kept me awake last night. I think I’m going to have to give up drinking. I don’t feel great today and RHR is 76 now 

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is no doubt that drinking alcohol increases your heart rate. The only question is, are you willing to accept the increase for the pleasure of drinking? I assume that there must be a middle ground that you could shoot for that allows for occasional social drinking but does not increase your RHR too much or for too long. At the point that I am at though I am abstaining 100% for the foreseeable future. Good Luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes
WOW that is a pretty big increase! Mine usually only goes up 2 o3 beats. I
wonder if you are super sensitive to alcohol for some reason?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm pretty sure that she means that she checked her heart rate and it was in the mid 90's that night. I have never seen a fitbit increase or decrease an actual daily RHR by more than 4 points a day.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Oh, OK, that is not so bad!
Best Answer
0 Votes