Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate day after drinking alcohol

ANSWERED

I am a data geek so I like tracking the HR data from my Fitbit.  I am an runner and I log my average heartrate during my runs as well as my resting heart rate for that day to get a % HR number.  It lets me know how hard I am working.

One thing I did notice about my resting heart rate is that it would elevate 1 - 3 bpm for the day after drinking alcohol (for me usually a couple of glasses of wine) the night before.  The HR would stay slightly elevated for a day or two, then drop back down again.

Has anyone else noticed a casual correlation between resting heart rate and low to moderate alcohol consumption?

Best Answer
254 REPLIES 254

I've been observing the correlation between alcohol and RHR and I do think there's a connection, but I'm beginning to the correlation may be more alcohol -> bad sleep -> bad sleep higher RHR. I do get some of the same high RHR effect if I get to little sleep or if the sleep is restless (not enough deep sleep).

Also if I drink a couple of glasses of wine later, there's an effect on RHR, but if I drink it with dinner, and then stop, so that it's more or less out of the body when I get to sleep, the effect is limited.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find a dramatic difference between nights where I've had a big dinner and 3 beers vs. "normal" nights. I have always had a high RHR (~70 bpm) despite the fact I run and row 3-4 times per week. After finding this app that displays HR in real time, I am becoming increasingly concerned.

Day after night of many beers.Day after night of many beers.Normal day with a morning run.Normal day with a morning run.

Best Answer
How much of a difference?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep I have noticed goes up by 1-3bpm for whole day 

Best Answer
0 Votes

A9DB00B8-D00B-40B5-AED2-0817A961D849.jpeg

6196B9AF-7C69-41C4-A2A6-8667A55076CE.jpeg

Here is another comparison of a typical normal weeknight with 0-2 drinks maximum the night before.....vs a Sunday following a Friday & Saturday night of pool and pints all night! Notice the fitbit only increases RHR to 73 average on the Sunday because it averages over several days - yet my average that night is actually between 90-100 while I was sleeping!! So the increase is actually 25 - 30 beats higher than my normal range of 60-67 on weekdays. This also dramatically increses my blood pressure during the the same time. I have made my friends who drink aware of this, and they all found similar results. So IMO - this is a generally an unspoken - unknown risk 24-48 hours after drinking in excess. This is also correlates with studies I’ve read on the internet, that show your risk of a cardiac event or heart attack and or stroke, dramatically increases 24-48 hours after heavy drinking. In fact my good friend had a massive heart attack (& survived) on a Sunday morning- after 2 days of heavy drinking. So IMO - this isn’t just random cause & effect. It’s a proven risk factor, that most people are not aware of, 24-48 hours after binge or heavy drinking. The only reason I discovered it was after I started wearing my fitbit. So beware & drink at your own risk!!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You're right. Everyone is getting the same results. I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing that the fitbit will only increase by a maximum of 3 or 4 RHB after a bender or not. Maybe it would make people think more if their actual RHR jumped by 25 or 30 after a long weekend with friends.

I've been working since just after the holidays to get my rate and weight down from the holiday debatachuries. Now that I've reached my goal weight (188) down from a post NYE high (209) and my RHR has fallen from the mid 80's to the low 60's I have 10 days away with friends at the beach.

There will be drinking and feasting so we'll see how bad a week away affects me. I may need to find more sober friends! Lol!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep, those periodic spikes can be real eye openers. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your doctor is wrong. It may not be super accurate, but it's close enough for our purposes. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have also noticed the same thing when I drink alcohol.My resting heartbeat is  between 56 and 58 bpm, but 2 glasses of wine will raise it to about 59.

If it's a weekend and I drink two nights  in a row, It will be up two more points by the next day. I've been tracking this for a while. I do  exercise at least six days a week .

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am the same someone said something about dehydration somewhere.  Proves the device is working I guess and although I will never be T total it does keep me in check when drinking wine

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just because a person has an alcoholic drink every now and again, it does not mean they are alcoholics! If they were alcoholics, they probably would notice their RHR and certainly wouldn't be posting about it here. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Most of the folks on this thread are talking about more than just a drink every now and then. 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Not the posts I read! They were talking about having one or two drinks every now and again. Plus there are a lot more issues related to being an alcoholic than the amount you drink - can you function without one? how early in the day do you start? do you hide it from your family/friends?

Valerie Berry-Woodnutt
nuttberry@aol.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have worn a fitbit charge and then a ionic for 20 months, my resting heart rate seems to be effected

by two things, temperature and alcohol, in the hot days in the summer my heart rate would increase from its normal 57-58 to 61-62 and very similar with alcohol, 1-2 drinks hardly causes an increase but 5-6 drinks would increase it 2-3 but would return to normal after 3-4 days. im 55 use the gym 3-4 times a week, active job and like to walk.

@GaVak wrote:

I've had my fitbit Surge for 3 years now. I've noticed that if I'm in a stage of drinking every day (bottle of wine+), my resting heart rate will show up in the lower 70s and my sleeping heart rate doesn't go below the 60's.

When I stop, there is a gradual decline over 2-3 weeks to a resting heart rate ~54 and a sleeping heart rate that gets to a min of ~43 bpm.

~Gav

Best Answer
0 Votes

My RHR is usually 65 to 70 when I'm training otherwise it usually floats around 70 to 74,and when  I'm drinking usually thrice a week and when i Bing it elevates all the way up till 80ish and I ve observed it' hangs in there for days to gather.now that I'm off alcohol for next 2 weeks and and I'm already through 2 weeks it's back to 69 to 73. My observation social drinking won't elevate much but binging couple of days a week will elevate unusual numbers. I should correlate with numbers when I start training under alchohol and off. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

336547E5-2075-4164-9197-37EA1F037E44.jpeg

I had 3 drinks last night, all rum based totaling 6 oz alcohol over a 3 hour period. I fell asleep at midnight and woke up at 3 am with my heart racing. It was in the mid to low 60s for 3 hours (normally in the mid to low 50s even upper 40s) then stayed in 70s and 80s with spikes into 90s low 100s when I got up to get a drink or go to the bathroom. This use to never happen but now even as little as two drinks of any kind does this to me. I’ll usually feel bad for a day or two. My docs said everything is fine it’s just how alcohol effects me now. I’ve got to learn that no drinks or one at most is my best course. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I totally get it. I barely drink any more. It's kind of scary when you can
actually document the effect it has on your body.
Best Answer

I think I may have started this thread years ago, lol. Since then anxiety over my heart rate caused so much stress and probably consequently drinking a bit more than usual. My Anxiety went through the roof so I saw my psychologist for the first time in many years. She told me to take my Fitbit and throw it away or give it to someone without anxiety disorder. Best thing I ever did. I’m fit, happy, and I have no idea how many steps I’m taking or how many calories I burn or more importantly what my heart rate is at any time of the day. Good luck to you all. 

Best Answer

Good advice, I might just do that.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I know - it's amazing isn't it. Makes me think too about what I eat etc.
Best Answer
0 Votes