Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in resting heart rate

ANSWERED

Hi,

I've been doing loads more exercise lately, and my resting heart rate has increased quite a lot. I thought it would go down? Or is this because my heart rate is generally higher due to the exercise so my resting heart rate seems higher? Thanks 🙂

Best Answer
128 REPLIES 128

Yea honestly, I wouldn't rely on the RHR to much until we figure out what's going on. Mine seemed to go down but then it went back up to 73. It's now gone down again to 66. 🙄

Fitbits: One, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Charge 2, Ionic (current)
Best Answer

Hi im havigg the same issue. Normal RHR flucluates high 50s to low 60s depending on exercise/work stress but in 2 years its never been above 64. Now its trending up everyday and im at 67 from 61 last week! 

I have recently started the body coach SSS plan whicn is lower carb, no sugar or caffine ( my exercise is similar) and have been drinking far more water. Could this be the cause ??

thanks in advance !

Best Answer

addiction withdrawals do lots of weird stuff to bodies. theres lots of tricks the body has to try to get you back on what you have quit. i dont know exactly what changes will happen but quitting sugar and caffeine could affect heart rate and blood pressure, which affects heart rate. 

i am finding that the rises in the resting heart rate correspond with hot weather too. its summer here and gets real hot. it rises when we have a hot spell and returns over a few days once cooler weather returns. 

Best Answer

My experience seems to fit with others who have posted here: Ever since I got my first Fitbit a couple of years ago, my rhr has been in the low 50's with the occasional increase to about 58 when I have had an infection. Since September 2017 it has been almost constantly above 56 and has gone well into the 60's. Coincidence or a change in the Fitbit algorithm? 

Best Answer

Low sodium affects your heart , brain and muscles. Go see the Dr if that happens again

Best Answer

yes hun mine is doing that to ...just got over a sinus infection hoping it comes down now i dunno   im a real active person not workout type just high anxiety where im on the go always doing something  says in fitbit it should decrease in numbes at resting heart rate once my routines level off but i to get worried cause wow....mine went from 65 to 73 and kinda hanging out there  but fit bit says u gotta get rest during hte day to for y our body to recover is what i learned tonight ....n u got to get a good nights sleep to ...drink plenty of water...im keeping a good eye on mine as i have a v block first degree and 2 tiny leaking heart valves  if mine gets higher yet i will be in doing my echo n stress test to make sure im a ok .....cause my heat rate has hit 138 n im not to sure thats good ...makes my chest kinda hurt and also makes me kinda short of breath  if u have any fears hun call ur heart dr thats all i can say im 60 years old fit bit says excellent cardio for my age but its the resting heart rate i worry about   take care

Best Answer

yes  mine is doing that to ...just got over a sinus infection hoping it comes down now i dunno   i am a real active person not workout type just high anxiety where i am on the go always doing something  says in fit bit it should decrease in numbers at resting heart rate once my routines level off but i to get worried cause wow....mine went from 65 to 73 and kinda hanging out there  but fit bit says u gotta get rest during the day to for y our body to recover is what i learned tonight ....n u got to get a good nights sleep to ...drink plenty of water...i am keeping a good eye on mine as i have a v block first degree and 2 tiny leaking heart valves  if mine gets higher yet i will be in doing my echo n stress test to make sure i am alright .....cause my heat rate has hit 138 n i am not to sure that good ...makes my chest kinda hurt and also makes me kinda short of breath  if u have any fears  call your heart doctor that all i can say i am  60 years old fit bit says excellent cardio for my age but its the resting heart rate i worry about   take care

Best Answer

My RHR has also been increasing. For some reason I can’t attach a photo  with that little camera button. 

It was around 48/50 and slowly it’s crept up to average 59/60. This seems odd to me. Yes, I wear it to bed and have read through the tips. 

Best Answer

A3E36717-DEC1-494F-8B08-E32088165F62.png

Best Answer

I do the updates whenever they are released.  My RHR has increased from 56-59 to 65-67.  This started 12/31/2017 and has continued to present (2/20/2018).

I run 8min15sec miles at 6 to 8.5 miles/day 5 or 6 days/week.  My RHR at night and day are considerably higher.

I am not overweight, nor am I sick.  Nothing else changed.  My husband has also noticed a rise in his RHR.  I have Ionic, he has Charge HR.  He got sick, I didnt.  His up for 2 weeks, mine is 7 weeks and counting.  Wonderi g if I have a virus that my body is fighting but I feel ok.  

Best Answer

maybe your excited about the new fitbit?

Best Answer

Dont think that's the cause, lol

Best Answer

My RHR has done the complete opposite. I'm usually between 61-64. This month I increased the intensity of my workouts at Orange Theory and this happened. Not sure if I should be concerned or not. I'm 46 yrs old.

rhr_feb.jpeg

Best Answer

I am 44yr/female. 

My RHR USED to go down if I kicked up my workouts significantly, & it wouldn't take very long for it to drop, either.

I am getting very concerned that my RHR is elevated while my workouts increased & nothing else changed.

Best Answer

@Jenna19wrote:

Hi,

I've been doing loads more exercise lately, and my resting heart rate has increased quite a lot. I thought it would go down? Or is this because my heart rate is generally higher due to the exercise so my resting heart rate seems higher? Thanks 🙂

@Jenna19wrote:

Hi,

Increasing resting heart rate

Best Answer

@Kellygrl73 - I probably should not comment without knowing more about your situation and because I have no expertise or knowledge in this area.  I will now proceed to comment: 

I believe an increase in RHR can be associated with dehydration, which can sometimes accompany an increase in activity.  You may wish to experiment with increasing your water and electrolyte consumption before and after exercise.

Best Answer

Thanks Dave!

I do drink a LOT of water (usually 70oz minimum, more often upwards of 90/day), but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.  I also moved my workout time from later in the day (after I have had more to drink) to earlier in the am, when I have had only about 20 oz water.  Perhaps that is a factor, I will try to experiment with that.

I experimented with some of my OTC meds after researching it, and that alone seems to have lowered my RHR about 5 or 6 beats/minute.   Now that the more humid & warmer weather is coming, I will have to see what effect, if any, that has. 

I will keep you all posted!

Thanks!

Best Answer

I also noticed this happens to me right before my period. My resting HR goes up about by 7 or 8 bpm and slowly lowers about 1bpm every day during. I have also noticed lack of sleep definitely makes my resting HR rise.

Best Answer

I am experiencing the same thing. Have started my 'spring' training after two years on the couch. I am consistently seeing a one point rise in my rhr for a total of eight as of waking this morning. I take the weekends off from active minutes and just meet my step goals, but even on those days my rhr no longer goes down. Hoping that once my body re adapts to my new level of activity my rhr will adjust accordingly.

Best Answer

i have also noticed the same...when i first got my charge 2...it went from 85 down to 72...now its about 75 when im "resting" and 85 when sitting and 90 when walking around...i workout every day (my hr gets up to about 160, average 147 for HIIT and 131 for regular workout..are some peoples just higher? ive only had mine for about a month 1/2...

Best Answer