Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mindful wellbeing at 50+ in the UK

I've had a fit bit since 2013 and it has been a great motivator to keep me moving. After just upgrading to the Charge 2 I feel now is the time to step up a little. I'm looking to be more mindful in my lifestyle, exercise more, cook healthily from scratch and make sure I manage to get some me time.

My job is quite active and this is where most of my steps come from, I work as a teaching assistant in a special needs school. 

I'm looking for friends, ideas, motivation & inspiration. I'd like to lose weight but after years of yo yo dieting & diet clubs I want to try and not let that be my focus. 

This community forum is all new to me but I'd like if anyone is interested to join me in my journey then please do? Not sure if you just need to be my friend or I need to set up a group? 

Introduction: Michelle 51 from Sheffield. Mum to a daughter of 26 and step-mum to a son of 35, Nan to 4 children ages 15-4. Look forward to hearing from anyone wanting similar inspiration. 

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Mlbrindley. I belong to the 50+ club too. Career woman, mom, volunteer, the whole bit. I too have struggled with my weight, almost every decade I gain some weight, then fight to lose it, keep it off for a bit and then start over. For me, what works now is to not diet, but to focus on lifestyle changes. Commit to an exercise goal, cut out process foods, rarely drink if at all and make sure I have fun. It was important for me to reach my goals, but more important to put joy back into life, finding time for a walk/talk with an old friend, crafting, playing with the dogs. Once the focus was off the short term goal of weight loss and on an overhaul to my lifestyle everything came together. The Fitbit community has been great and I love sharing stories, tips and tricks with people. I hope you find inspiration and support in this community of like minded people. Have a blessed day!

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

Thanks @MarciM I really appreciate you taking the time to send some inspiration. I will endeavour the next few weeks to focus on lifestyle changes. I hope by engaging within the Fitbit community I can motivate myself to go forward And stop putting any pressure on myself and start really enjoying being 50+. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mlbrindley welcome aboard! Its nice to have you join the community. If you haven't gotten a chance to send friend requests to like minded folks, I would encourage you to do that. The best part about this is connecting with people with similar goals from all over the world. To get you started here is a link you can use to browse through and find friends:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Be-Inspired/Looking-for-Fitbit-Friends-Find-some-here/m-p/1642995#M4...

Marci is completely right about choosing a different lifestyle as the key to success. Its about making time for things that make you move, make you smile and make you think. I actually go out with my friends instead of following them on social media. My husband and I have actual conversation over dinner all weekend because we made a rule to eat together which isn't always possible during the week. But for me the most important change was asking the question "with this food, am I feeding my brain or my body" because the two are not like minded in their needs. My brain wants instant gratification through chocolate, cheesecake, pasta and a loaf of bread. My body hates that stuff because it makes it tired, sluggish and work ten times harder to digest. So if the answer is brain, I get what my body wants to eat and feed my brain by reading, walking, talking, fitbit browsing, etc...

Good luck in your goals- now go make some friends!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Thanks Elena for the great advice. I have recently cut down my time  using social media, my husband & I have started going out for walks together too so we get some quality time together. I now need to conquer my eating habits and be more mindful. This is the part I find hard but I know I can't and so I will!

I have a few friends, mainly from from work and we occasionally set challenges, i will follow your link and look to adding a few more for motivation. 

Thanks again

Michelle

Best Answer

Hello! Have you tried some CBD products for you? I would like to get any tips and input about it, and I want to learn more about how it works and if it is a good thing. Let me know what your experience with it is, I will appreciate any input from you here 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes