Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who here meditates?

Just curious about people's meditation practice. What type do you do? How often? And most importantly, how it has impacted your life.

I've been meditating for a few years now. At first, I did the counting the breaths thing. Then, it was watching all the thoughts come and go like clouds. Currently I practice "just sitting", which really doesn't have any intent of "doing" behind it, and is very, very peaceful. It's the only practice that has brought real equanimity to my life, and I'm thankful for it.

I'd like to start standing meditation again, but it's very taxing. Friends that do martial arts highly recommend it.

So how do you meditate? Cushion? Chair? Music? No music? Tried meditating and found it difficult? Love it? Hate it? Chime in!

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
75 REPLIES 75

Just like many others in this thread, I've also found Youtube videos with some guided meditations for the mind, body and spirit! Smiley Happy Heart

I don't so it as often as I would like to, but I'm starting to change that. I like doing these meditation sessions after my yoga practice twice a week. In that way I start off my day with positive energy. In a personal opinion I take yoga as a kind of meditation too, as you are focusing mostly in the connection between your breathing and your body; subsequently your mind responds to that.

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

I have been a Vipassana meditator for almost 5 years.  I recently attended my 4th 10 day  course and have since committed to 2 hours/ day.  This has proven to be extremely beneficial to my peace of mind and general level of happiness.  

Best Answer

I've never really meditated before, but I think I'm going to start. I've heard headspace and calm are good apps, so I'm going to download them this week and see how it goes!

Nikki | NYC
Flex | Mac | Android Samsung Galaxy S5
Best Answer

I aim for daily, but sometimes go a day or two missing my nightly "chill out". I have two apps to assist, Breathe, which is mostly guided meditation, and Muse, which is designed to be used with a sensor band but works without it and the Muse app plays your choice of gentle music/nature sounds. 

I like the Breathe app, which has a little questionaire about how you feel mentally and physically, and recommends meditations based on this. I somethimes do this, sometimes go to my bookmarked favs. The trial version of the app is fine to see if you like it, but I loved it and subscribed to the paid one.

I have insomnia and tend to overthink instead of sleep. I have recently started imagining my "stressed self" in whatever situation is troubling me and telling "her" over and over again that It's All Fine, Everything worked out, look at the nice life you get to have, etc... 

Normally I meditate at night before going to sleep, but if I'm really working hard I'll sometimes skip eating lunch and meditate instead.

Best of luck everyone!

Best Answer

Thanks for the app suggestions, @janellelouise ! I'm going to look into those as well! I also like that "stressed self" exercise and will try it when I need to.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried to meditate a few times. Completely fell asleep one time....and I'm sure it wasn't suppose to do that. I have tried doing it during yoga, I even tried voice guidance to help me meditate. Bi-neural beats through music apps. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, but I don't get the same feelings and sensations that others describe. I don't want to say that it is a "hate", not by a long shot....but I will label it very tasking and sometimes a full on internal battle.

Heal Thy Self= Healthy Self
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @MissMaggie,

Actually what you report is pretty normal with meditation. At first I got a lot of restlessness, wandering mind, and internal struggle. I think that's just the pent-up tension of the mind releasing, and because it's unfamiliar to be in a meditative state of awareness of our thoughts and sensations, it can lead to sleepiness. All I can say is just be with what comes up, and let it release.

Dave | California

Best Answer

I started meditating about 4 months to try and help me sleep as I have galloping thoughts that can keep me awake for hours sometimes, so I do it at night before bed. I rarely miss a day and I have found it really really helps turn off my mind so I can relax into sleep. I looked at apps and picked Headspace, mostly because I find Andy's voice very soothing with a lovely sound to it and an accent that doesn't bug me at all! Generally I dont like to pay for apps but I did subscribe after I'd done the 10 day free trial because I felt even that early that it was helping me. I still really like it and do a meditation followed by the sleep exercise as it seems to get me asleep. The free trial is a great idea and worth giving a go if you want to start to meditate, and gives you a pretty good idea of whether you will like it or not.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do!

For a few years I was actually taking meditation classes with a psychic medium and I absolutely loved it! I'm very intuitive and would often get messages. With my busy schedule, I had to stop going but I meditate on my own now. I like guided meditation mostly but also ones where you just listen to music. I have some meditation cd's which are mostly instrumental and some are tribal, which is really cool. I notice a difference on the days that I meditate routinely. I have done it like you have said also, where you just enjoy the peace and quiet and get into that state.

Best Answer

I meditate first thing in the morning.  I use the Deepak Chopra recommendation to RPM: Rise, Pee, Meditate.  This habit ensures that I will meditate on a regular basis.  Telling myself that I will do it later usually doesn't work.   

I happened upon your post because I am looking for a silent alarm app to use with the Fitbit that will give me reminders throughout the day to stop, breathe, and return to the present.  Do you know of any?

Chris

Best Answer
0 Votes

Question for those experienced with meditation - when I use the sauna, I count my breaths to 150 as a timing mechanism to let me know how long to stay in.  I try to focus only on my breaths and counting, clearing my mind of other thoughts.  Does this work as a form of meditation?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Daves_Not_Here, I would say it qualifies. Counting breaths is an old meditation technique used in Zen. I would only suggest trying to increase the amount of time in meditation (outside of the sauna). Magical things happen when one can do 20-30 minutes at a time. But I realize in today's busy world, we get what we can.

Dave | California

Best Answer
Of course. Any time spent with a chosen focus and returning to that focus
each time a thought interferes, is meditation.
Best Answer

Your counting certainly occupies your mind and may promote focus and stillness.
The meditation practice that I’m familiar with, and practice for an hour each morning, is more a form of listening rather than a distraction of the mind.
There are many ways to reach your personal truth and the sauna certainly provides many health benefits also.
All the best with your journey

Moderator Edit: Personal Info Removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had meditated on and off for a few years. I generally found it quite beneficial, particularly when my mental state wasn't great and needed a boost. Despite its benefits I always found it a bit of a chore...... similar to my experience of going to the gym where I always felt better afterwards but often struggled to get started 🙂
About six weeks ago I pledged to myself to do a full month meditating for at least 10 minutes every day.

The first two weeks were a bit of a struggle but I persevered and slowly but surely I began to enjoy my sessions. My general mood, calmness and positive outlook on life have all been considerably enhanced and I now generally look forward to my sessions which normally now last for around 30 minutes.

One of the most important things I have learned is that our minds prefer us not to meditate and will generally discourage and find excuses for us not to meditate. Once I began to notice this and 'watch my mind' throwing out these objections, meditation 'practice' became so much easier.

My favourite Youtube 'guided meditation' is a dude called Adyashanti who keeps things extremely simple and has a lovely soothing and calm voice.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am very happy that you have been able to overcome the resistance and are
now able to enjoy the benefits of meditation...finding out who you really
are.

Love,
Chris
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm a daily meditator and have been for about 5 years now. I practice vipassana meditation and use a variety of methods. In a typical day I'll meditate while sat on a cushion at home for about 1 hour (sometimes less if time doesn't permit). At least once per year I go and stay at a temple for a retreat and practice fairly intensively (about 10 hours per day) with a mix of sitting and walking meditation. My retreats will last from 2 weeks to 1 month depending on how much time I have available. I do think that regularity is more important than the length of the meditation session. By meditating daily, awareness arises more and more naturally within the mind, and you notice the mind performing micro meditations throughout the day by itself. I can be doing something mundane like walking down the street or sat on the bus, and when a thought arises in my mind, if my awareness is sharp at that time, my mind automatically notes and acknowledges the thought without reflecting on it or getting caught up with the thought itself. If the thought is acknowledged quickly the thought will generally disappear quickly too. Meditation gives my mind tranquility and a type of stillness that makes dealing with day to day stresses and strains much more manageable. 

Best Answer

I meditate every morning.

After I am finished with yoga. I just sit on a cushion on the floor.

Close may eyes and chant "Om". For about 20 minutes or so.

It is so relaxing and allows me to start my day with a clear mind.

Best Answer

This will sound absurd, but I have recently started meditation in virtual reality via an application called Alt Life VR. I attend classes headed by a man named Tom Nickel, who is a pretty interesting fellow. He writes papers on these experiences and publishes them on a website called medium. Anyways, I never thought, it'd be something I needed in my daily life, but I've been incorporating it into my routine by myself and I found it beneficial. (Love that my charge 4 has a relaxation function. It's useful in this regard)

Best Answer
0 Votes

*Charge 3. sorry for the double post

Best Answer
0 Votes