Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10,000 steps a day how active does that make you?

If I was walking between 10,000 and 12,000 steps a day, nothing more than brisk walking and slow walking which option should I be choosing?

sedentary (little or no exercise)
lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week)
moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week)
very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week)
extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training)

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

10-12k of walking is more than one hour of exercise per day. If you do this 6-7 days a week, I would say it makes you at least moderately active. Where do you need to choose between those options, if I may ask?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am 45lbs down on a goal of loosing 180lbs.  I started thinking to myself today that as I loose more and more my calorie intake needs to decrease or my activity needs to increase, and much more likely is both things need to happen. 

So, I was curious how many calories a 185lb 6'2" man needs to maintain weight.  I wanted to take that total and understand how many calories that actually is and how far away I am from being able to reach that goal for calories taken in each day.  I also intend to keep up with my exercise so I wanted to make sure when I used the calculators that I represented what I am actually doing every day, as before was easy I walked to the fridge and the car.  Well now I am moving a lot more but it's not running or construction work but it's defiantly more than nothing.

To further complicate my own head I need to start to understand what a deficit of 1,000 calories a week looks like as I approach my goal.  Because if it takes 2,200 to maintain a weight loss of 2 lb a week I need to be 1,200 and I want and need to mentally prepare for that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Stegmanco wrote:

sedentary (little or no exercise)
lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week)
moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week)
very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week)
extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training)

I have seen similar categories on this TDEE calculator site, for the Mifflin-St Jeor formula:

exercise level

In my case, the calorie burn target set to me by Fitbit corresponds to the Every day (*intense) or twice daily exercise level. I need about 18k steps of brisk walking in order to reach it.

I've been led to believe Fitbit uses the Mifflin-St Jeor formula for TDEE.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

KOODOS TO YOU!!!!!!!!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Are you wanting to know for a TDEE calculator, Myfitnesspal, or? The reason I ask, is the answer may depend. Compared to a TDEE calculator using Mifflin BMR (seems closest to what Ftibit uses), when I get around 10,000 steps +/- 1,000ish my TDEE seems to indicate moderately active but that will depend on how vigorous my exercise was that day. Lightly active seems to be if I average 7,000-8,000 steps. One thing, some fitbit users who ask this are using Myfitnesspal, and with that one consideration is whether you log your exercise (on mfp) or not. MFP intends the activity level to exclude exercise you log on that site so it is your non exercise activity.

Sam | USA

Fitbit One, Macintosh, IOS

Accepting solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody’s Fitbit experience.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have averaged 10k steps in 204 and lost 17 pounds in 3.5 months

Nuff said

Rob

Best Answer
0 Votes

The human body is simple despite endless BS diet systems

At any weight if you eat more calories than you expend - you'll add weight

I know this is boring

But it's true 

Rob

PS I am on a 2200 calorie diet because I use 3000 per day and lose about 1 pound each week

Best Answer
0 Votes

My question is how active am I walking 10,000-12,000 steps a day.  I know that fitbit will adjust my calories as I go, but I am curious as to am I considered active now or moderately active...I am getting 60 min of very active in fitbit but I am just walking is that enough to consider myself an active person now?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there

I am 19 pounds down in 2014 based upon slightly reduced food intake and reduced alcohol (calories) and increased exercise up to 10,500 steps per day.  My calorific intake is about 2190 per day this year.  I'm losing 4-5 pounds a month and not doing anything too radical. I think that with 10-12k steps you are active by most people's standards who are sedentary.  Rob  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Lol it's crazy no one actually answered the question 🤦🏿‍:male_sign: I read in a few post you'd be considered active. I used pacer for a while and it says at about 10k steps you're active. Anything over 12,500 you're highly active. I'm still looking for a better answer myself because for whatever reason, I second guess that

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ShamarPhillips 

Hi

I don’t have a Fitbit device yet, I track steps in the app, accuracy is questionable, but to be sure, I count the time of walking and activity per day, and the approximate mileage

today I have about 20 thousand steps, day off, about 2.5 hours of walking per day. about 8 kilometers or 5 miles

I don't have a goal of losing weight.

I do it for physical health

also walks help my psyche to recover

all the best

Best Answer

Keep going bro, you can do it, one day at a time or 1 minute at a time. Walking at first and then walking and exercise has really helped me physically, mentally, and spiritually. Welcome to brighter days ahead.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Zize, A thought that might be helpful to you .........Or this could be offensive and if so I'm sorry in advance.   We choose what we want to think about. Try to choose something positive and constructive for you.  Choose to be happy.    It took me a long time to learn that, and to direct my thinking.  You don't need drugs!!  Think about all the things you can be grateful for.

Best Answer