Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

150 pounds to lose

ANSWERED

I need to lose about 150 pounds to get to my recommended body weight.  Anyone have success with this without surgery?  Any tips, tricks, motivations, or anyone wanting to join this journey are welcome!

Best Answer
21 REPLIES 21

Thank you so much for sharing your journal entry.  Your statement, "you cannot hate yourself enough to be healthy" and "Loving yourself enough to take care of yourself is the only sustainable motivation" really resonated with me today as I "begin - again."  

I wasn't even going to step on the scale today because I knew it was going to upset me, but looking at the scale is the best way for me to "get real" with myself.  I know that today is a different beginning than the ones before because I am at a point where I have had enough pain.  Pain is such a great motivator for me!  I am not even talking about physical pain, because I don't have much of it, but the psychological pain that I put myself through is so damaging and I have just had enough.  Your statement is my new mantra!  Thank you for sharing it with us!

Best Answer

Hi Lisa, 

I started, not that long ago, with the same to lose. It's pretty daunting, isn't it?

I've lost over 100lbs before, so I know how to go about it sensible. The trick for me is to try and keep it off this time!

I think you have to find out what works best for you.

I have found creating my own eating and activity plan was liberating, after years of following others' diets I couldn't stick to. Working out the calories your body needs to maintain your weight is useful, and then you can pick the calorie deficit you need to keep to lose weight sensibly. 500 a day = 1lb a week and 1000 cal deficit would shift 2lbs a week. Keep a food diary and document everything you're eating and calories accurately. I use myfitnesspal.co.uk but there are loads of other ones out there. 

I've been losing weight steadily for the last 3 months (34lbs so far) and it is pretty much my calorie deficit plus the exercise I'm doing (walking currently 8000 steps a day and swimming 40 mins 3 x a week). I think with exercise you just have to do a little more than you currently do to challenge your body. So week 1 I was doing around 2500-3000 and I just kept adding 500 each week. When I got to the 7000 mark I started adding 250 per week and then changing up the kind of walks I was doing e.g. doing my steps mostly in one block, doing hills some days, fast walking around flat tracks the next. Same with swimming, I just try and change it up a bit. My weight's still very high so I figure that walking briskly is the right intensity for me to burn fat.....I think I would just give up if I was doing something too strenuous as my confidence would be dented and I know I wouldn't be able to do it most days. I think the trick is to pick activities you will be able to do most days, if not every day, that you can do for sustained periods, so you can burn burn burn. If you like a particular activity start small and then just build a little more each week. 

Good luck 😄  

Best Answer