Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 -- Lose 20 pounds by Mother's Day -- 2015!

Hi!  I just saw a thread from 2014 where a group of mom's and non-mom's set a goal to lose 20 pounds by Mother's Day.  Anyone want to start one for 2015 with me?  I have about 35 pounds to lose total, but 20 by May sounds like a good goal to me. 

I am going to try to get my 10,0000 steps in and I am joining a gym this weekend to add strength training and cardio. 

Best Answer
469 REPLIES 469

Hi Swim,

Yup the food diary has opened my eyes. I eat healthy food but portion size counts so much. I was eating, grazing on raw almonds, sunflower seeds & walnuts but eeeek who knew 1/4 cup as in 4 Tbsps = 190 calories. 

Logging is tedious but it is keeping me honest. 

I'm making 10-11 K most days but even on sitting more days I'm making 5K+. I'm 73 and it is slow but I figure it is a lifestyle change not a short term diet. 

Starvation reaction I think gets triggered under 1200 calores a day for many days in a row. I'll look that up actually science data may have changed. 

How would a 1300 calorie regime be to up the ante?  I have to eat about 1200 -1250  on most days to lose. Lots of veggies & lean protein. We are doing this.

Keep on trucking,

Barbara G

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Suzie

Like the champ! and smiling faces & badges, too. Food logging is tedious but it keeps me pretty honest. I don't want to blow it. I end up going up & down stairs a few extra times to burn more calories before midnight. 

We can do this healthy lifestyle thing!

Hang in there. 

Barbara 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone!

20 pounds by Mother's Day sounds perfect!  20 pounds is exactly what I gained two years ago, haven't been able to lose and really need to because its all in my belly, making my waist circumferance in the danger zone, healthwise.  Just got my Fitbit yesterday.  Looking forward to getting to know everyone and seeing everyone succeed!

Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
Are you drinking enough water? You have to get your heart rate in the
right zone also. My problem is I'm not getting enough sleep. Hubby brings
the "bad" stuff in the house and of course I yield to the temptation.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I drink tons of water but sleep is not good, Fitbit says I only sleep 5 hrs but I am in bed for 8. Weird to see how many restless minutes I have. Seems after menopause , sleep does not come easy. But no drugs for me.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a hard time eating that much, but I am told because I don't eat enough is why I am not losing, so trying to up my protein, we will seeeee
Best Answer
0 Votes

I new to communicating in forums.  Not sure if I am posting or reply to a specific person.  If I reply under someone specific does that post to everyone?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

i don't know if this is how to communicate with everyone, but here goes.  4 weeks ago, i had rotator cuff surgery. already 40 ibs overweight, i was worried about gaining more.  looked around at diets online and decided to try weight watchers online for 20.00 a month.  I have lost 5.2 pounds in 3 weeks with walking every once in a while as my only exercise.  i bought a fitbit after ww, to help motivate me to move.  This is the first time in a very long time that i have been committed to losing weight.

The reason I decided to say something here, is because so many posts are about having issues with eating. In ww everything is points, not calories.  I have learned so much about my eating habits, and i have a lon way to go.  I signed up for 3 months and I reaaly like it.  My fitbit is synced with ww so i get get credit when i walk.  The ww website has a few issues, but they are working on it. Sometimes my fitbit doesn't sync so I add my steps in myself.

This isn't an endorsement for ww, but something that worked for me and keeps me accountable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I forgot to tell you that I am 60 years old

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Debb21!!  I hope your shoulder is healing as fast as your weight is coming off!!!  I am a WW too and love the fact that the Fitbit and WW sync together.  I noticed that sometimes it takes a while for the FB activity to transfer to WW.  I manually logged in activity once and then ended up with double points in WW when the FB activity finally posted!!!  I think I am addicted to my Fitbit and have to at least meet my daily steps goal.  I don't want my Fitbit to be sad 😞 Good luck on your journey.  Janet

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well maybe this is what I need to do is join Weight Watchers because what I am doing is clearly not working. I was kinda of doing South Beach but not really. I am certainly getting the steps in but that alone will not work at least for me. I did WW years ago and it worked so thanks for this because I think I will look into it. I only have 15 lbs to lose but it has been impossible. I'm 59 and I think part of the problem is hormonal. I also think that what fitbit tells me I can eat is ridiculously too high. If I ate 1800 calories a day I would be gaining. It's interesting how it adjusts the calories after doing all the walking but it doesn't work for someone my age. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It helps to be accountable - both to your Fitbit goals and to WW weigh-ins at the meetings.  It is sometimes a challenge to log food intake in both places, but is gives you a different perspective on what you consume.  Good Luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes
If you can be good with weighing yourself at home, loseit is a great food logging app.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
Best Answer

I don't go to any meetings and I weigh in at home.  Points seem easier and I like all the things on the website.  There are many apps out there to help lose weight.  I am surprised how much I like ww.  I will check in again in 3 weeks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use my fitbit only for steps.  Maybe when my ww membership expires I will try more on fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I must admit i have been considering ww... i see a nutritionist for my many stomach issues.   Maybe ww is the way to go.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Well the scale is NOT moving but I know that I have been "good" the last few weeks - meeting my step goals, accurately logging my food and eating at a deficit, going to the gym for weight lifting 2-3 times/week (and surprisingly enjoying it 😊) and last week I started the 30 day shred for beginners (which is killing this beginner!). SOOOOO this morning after my depressing weekly weigh in, I tried on my goal pants.... When I bought them a month ago I could get them on but there was no way I was getting the zipper up BUT this morning I was able to do up the zipper!!!! They are very tight and I would not wear them in public but it is clear the hard work is paying off and eventually the scale will start to move down again!!
Best Answer

That's good. I am doing the same thing but I am not satisfied unless I see the scale go down. I need to get 10lbs off because of my knee. Had knee surgery in December and because of that I have not been able to do more than walk. It is really important. I wish I could be happy with looser clothes like you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

my problem is i can't move much, just walk, not outside and can only swing one arm!  I get in steps by dancing with my granddaughter! Losing weight is a journey.  I wish it came off as easy as it went on.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Oh I am praying for spring! So much more pleasant to get in the steps. It is a winter wonderland out here tonight and I have really had enough of the cold and wind and snow and tonight we are getting a bit of freezing rain 😝 I get some of my steps on my rebounder (mini trampoline) -- this is my 2nd I paid couple hundred for my first, wore it out, and found the second at a second hand store for $20.
Best Answer
0 Votes