Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

23 lbs down but no change in dress size

Hi All,

I have recently got my fitbit charge 2 and have lost 4lbs in the past few weeks. However, I have lost 23lbs since march but have not changed dress size..... has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

Yes, it was because all my clothing had elastic waistbands and stretchy fabric.  I had stretched my clothing out.  I was larger than the size on the tag.

Best Answer

@lucymclean92 wrote:

Hi All,

I have recently got my fitbit charge 2 and have lost 4lbs in the past few weeks. However, I have lost 23lbs since march but have not changed dress size..... has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you!

I'm having the same problem.  But, it's not really an issue since I wear my dresses indoors, in front of a mirror.

Just kidding!  I will enroll in sensitivity training, don't flag me.

I dropped about the same amount of weight, thought I would revisit my old wardrobe, and Nope!  I still have a ways to go.  I've probably lost 4 inches off my belly, but only 1 inch off my beltline, so other than my shirt staying tucked in, I don't have much to show for the loss, clothing size wise.

I will spare the forum further descriptions of other spot reductions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lucymclean92,

Are you doing strength training by any chance? As I've added some muscle, the fat loss around the waist has been about an inch, but  chest, legs, etc. are all bigger. So I know it's possible to lose weight and still have (near) the same waist size.

Another possibility is you just hold fat in that area due to genetics. If that's the case, the stomach may be the last place impacted by weight loss.

Don't be discouraged.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not really - doing mostly cardio to be honest. Its my legs that I really thought would shrink it size but that doesnt seem to have happened. I know ive done well but it pretty discouraging and also feels like I havent really lost it lol!

Best Answer
0 Votes

We store fat in different areas of our bodies, and when it comes off, it also differs from one person to the other. I know I tend to carry extra weight in my mid-section (like many guys), and when I lose it, I notice it from my pants. This older post shows the impact of a 10 kg (22 lbs) weight loss on my waist. I find it hard to believe you could lose 23 lbs and not notice it anywhere on your body, or from any of your clothes. How about trousers, bras etc.?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique wrote:

We store fat in different areas of our bodies, and when it comes off, it also differs from one person to the other. I know I tend to carry extra weight in my mid-section (like many guys), and when I lose it, I notice it from my pants. This older post shows the impact of a 10 kg (22 lbs) weight loss on my waist. I find it hard to believe you could lose 23 lbs and not notice it anywhere on your body, or from any of your clothes. How about trousers, bras etc.?

This!

I've now lost substantial weight twice in my life and have been fascinated by the experience both times. While both times I clearly shrunk in overall size, fat was apparently being burned off in places I hadn't realized it could be stored. And my body also continued to morph even after the losing ended to the point where it appeared as if though I was still trying to lose up to 2-3 months later.

If you've lost 23 pounds that is awesome! And it will show up in the overall footprint eventually, though apparently not quite yet. Absolutely don't get discouraged and continue onward.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've lost 80lbs and I only moved down one dress size in jeans, my bra size hasn't moved at all and I still wear some of the same tops I did 80lbs ago.  I feel your pain.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lucymclean92 wrote:

Not really - doing mostly cardio to be honest. Its my legs that I really thought would shrink it size but that doesnt seem to have happened. I know ive done well but it pretty discouraging and also feels like I havent really lost it lol!

Get on the strength training bus.  I've not dropped a single pound in the last 3 months but dropped from a 3X to a 2X in shirt, and 4 sizes in pants.  Prior to the last three months, I was mostly cardio with very little strength training, dropped 40 pounds and my clothes stayed the same.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just wanted to say hang in there!  I was a size 14ladies in jeans and a xl in tops about 2 months ago.  I've lost 7lbs in that time.  I'm now a 6/8 in jeans.  My biggest losses didn't seem to affect my size, but the less I weigh, the bigger the differences even a small loss makes.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

dont worry about dress size lol. just keep goin and you will soon start to lose size around places you want, you are down 24 lbs and the scales wont lie to you so you have defo lost fat, we can not choose where you lose fat but only that you can lose fat. if you keep goin like you do at some point the body will have to use fat storage in places you would choose now... goodluck 

Best Answer
0 Votes