Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40+ female & hormonal!!!!

Do any 40 + females have ideas or strategies for losing weight when our hormones are changing and things just do not want to change? I'm at a loss.

Best Answer
0 Votes
15 REPLIES 15

One helpful thing is to stay away from too many starches, ie. white bread, white rice, and white potatoes. These things turn into sugar. Drink water and stay hydrated.

Best Answer

morning.. i am in exactly the same situation.. I have just started to go through the menopause and am at my biggest for years .. I have been tested for thryroid as nothing works so it must be something that I am doing wrong.. I have tried slimming world weight watchers 5:2 (the last being the one that has piled on the pounds) so now I am going to try and stick to calories in and out and get a defecit. .. I dont really have any advice but just wanted to let you know youre not alone and I know how it can make you feel 

xx

Best Answer

I lost weight when I was 43, I will be 46 this year. I lost about 60 pounds. For me it was calories in vs out and moving. That's it. I cut out a lot of foods that our bodies have trouble digesting. I stick to mostly veg and fruit. I do not eat starches but for no other reason than the calories are not worth it. I haven't gained anything in the almost two years- in fact I lost 5 pounds once I started wearing the fitbit in July. I never starve. I eat all the time. I eat out at least two times per week. I do enjoy adult beverages. I will eat a little chocolate every now and then. I am addicted to frozen yogurt and popcorn. I measure and weigh my food every day and log it so I am always aware of what goes in vs out. For 5 days out of 7 I eat about 1600 calories and I burn off about 400 through exercise. The weekends are a different story 😉

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I gained weight during peri and menopause mostly because I sat for work and snacked on unhealthy foods.  I try to eat more veggies and fruit and for meals focus on salads with somekind of protein. Drink LOTS of water it helps to feel full and keeps my body hydrated so I don't feel hungry when I'm really only thirsty. I also like Naked brand juice and protein, it's pricy but delicious, the kale took some time for me to enjoy though. It's juice made from veggies and fruit so you don't have to burn up the blender motor.  Hope this helps!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for this thread. I am 42, not near menopause at all, but I've had no periods for years because of an IUD. I've only been on the weight loss track for a month and after three consecutive weeks of regular loss, I'm suddenly up a pound and a half in the last 3 days. I had forgotten that my body is still "going through the motions" of a monthly cycle . I'm hoping the uptick in weight is due to hormones and water weight and I'll be back on track soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
How many years have you used an IUD? When is the last time you had a
period? That concerns me as I had a friend that used one for 7 years when
she removed it at age 45 or 46 she had severe cramps was bleeding for
almost a month. Do you see a gynecologist regularly?
Best Answer
0 Votes
I've recently had a check up and all is well.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@waywithwords wrote:

Thanks for this thread. I am 42, not near menopause at all, but I've had no periods for years because of an IUD. I've only been on the weight loss track for a month and after three consecutive weeks of regular loss, I'm suddenly up a pound and a half in the last 3 days. I had forgotten that my body is still "going through the motions" of a monthly cycle . I'm hoping the uptick in weight is due to hormones and water weight and I'll be back on track soon. 

My Mirena is due to be replaced, and I'm thinking about just removing it to see what happens.  I'm 51 and I got it 15 years ago because my periods were just crazy (a super plus tampon lasted maybe 20 minutes - just like my mom at that age).  Now I'm wondering if my estrogen has dropped enough that the balance is way off and I have too much progesterone.  Too much/too little of either one isn't good.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
0 Votes
Your are most welcome for the thread, although I'm still referring to it as
a response.

I'm not in any position to advise you what is right for you. I just
recently started seeing an OB-GYN because I am past menopause. I started
going through menopause in my late thirties, night and day sweats,
irritability, the whole nightmare. I took a natural route with soy milk,
black cohosh and I still drink soy milk when my body craves it.

It can be difficult being a woman as we tend to put others first before
ourselves. Every once in awhile we have to say I need to take care of me
today.

Be well, stay strong and love yourself.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm 47 and lost 127lbs over 2 - almost 3yrs now. Mostly eat veggies and I run or run/walk every day along with weight lifting. Not 2lb weights either, 15-75 lbs. Hard to do but when I need encouragement I buy a new dress, yoga pants. .. etc.
Best Answer

@JoMc1969 wrote:
I'm 47 and lost 127lbs over 2 - almost 3yrs now. Mostly eat veggies and I run or run/walk every day along with weight lifting. Not 2lb weights either, 15-75 lbs. Hard to do but when I need encouragement I buy a new dress, yoga pants. .. etc.

Congratulations!  That is quite an accomplishment 🙂  

My encouragement/motivation is typically a photo of my overweight self smiling for the camera.  I always think that at the time the photo was taken I didn't feel that large, but looking at it is motivation for me to continue on with my progress.

Best Answer
Wow! Congratulations! I'm 56, trying to lose 40 lbs and I'm very
impatient, thanks for sharing!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi DJ!  I'm 43, have been very active since the age of 29, but the lbs are coming on way too fast!  Are you still looking for a partner?  I'd like to lose 20 lbs by Labor Day, about the time I turn 44.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sure, I enjoy competition. Just add me as a friend, that's a great goal!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I understand what you are going though it is hard! Not like it was in our 20 -:)

@DJean4 wrote:

Do any 40 + females have ideas or strategies for losing weight when our hormones are changing and things just do not want to change? I'm at a loss.

Best Answer
0 Votes