Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

67 year old

Hi Everyone;

I'm 67 years old, currently weighing in at an ugly 219 lbs standing 5"10" tall.  My goal is to get to 175 lbs with a target loss of 1.5-2 lbs per week.

I still work at the night charge RN at an assisted living facility; am always tired becuase I don't sleep well and am altering my diet...using shakes made with either our Vitamix or NutriBullet when I consciously do it. Otherwise I eat whatever is in the refrigerator.  My wonderful wife is very supportive of me...not calling attention to the huge belly I have...still loving on me unconditionally.  My libido is gone from the two bp medicines I'm taking. I really can't run anymore so I try to walk 1-2 miles 2 -3 times per week.  If I could kick this weight loss into high gear (at my age) would certinily help in all area.

Any thoughts, people?

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

Just keep doing what you are.Its all about what you eat to lose weight.

You might try to walk a bit more even add some more miles.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the post Wendy
Best Answer
0 Votes

How about thinking of this as kicking healthy habits into high gear.  As a night-worker, you are stressing your body.  Not sleeping well is also stressing it.   Work on improving the quality of your sleep (room darkening shades, cool temperature for sleeping environment, quiet).  Work on a nutrition plan aimed at sufficient macro and micro nutrients and a healthy calorie deficit - a registered dietician can help with this.  You can bring meals to work with you that will support healthy eating.  You may be doing a fair amount of walking at your job - regardless, make a priority to move your body every day.    Finally, strength training is essential to both current health and also preserving muscle mass as you age.  There may be a YMCA or other facility near your home or workplace that can help.    All of these will work together to help you reach a healthy weight and have a healthy body both now and down the road.   Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I'm also 67, soon to be 68. The older we get it seems the harder it is to lose weight. I have about 50 lbs to lose. What I've done is to set a goal on how many steps I want. I don't to this all at once, but break it up thur out the day. I try not to sit too long. I that breaks from sitting at least every 2 hours to walk. Another thing I did was to give up processed foods. I only eat whole foods now. It takes a little more cooking, but it is much better for you. Good Luck.

Best Answer
Thanks for the feedback
Best Answer
0 Votes

Jim -

Are you tracking calories? I think it's a good idea to keep track of how much you are actually eating and see how it compares to an appropriate calorie goal. 

I personally am not a fan of meal replacement shakes as they are such a highly processed food.  I believe in eating 3 healthy, natural (non processed), balanced meals per day, and eliminating between meal snacking and sweetened beverages. 

I would build up your walking to 10,000 steps per day, including--and this is important--at least 30 active minutes per day where you are engaged in deliberate, brisk walking for at least 10 minutes a pop. 

Good luck

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm 68 and agree that age doesn't help with weight loss.  Someone told me weight loss is 80% food and 20% exercise........a little bit of info. I wasn't exactly thrilled about hearing.  However, I'm beginning to be a believer.  I've been trying to really cut down on my sugar and flour intake and it has been helping.  Good luck with your journey. 

Best Answer

@Jimby  I'm 80 and it's definitely Calories in V's Calories out.. My GP of many years ago, before we had gadgets.. He said to me, "eat 20% less, and nutritional foods and cut the sugar and processed foods"., and that was exactly 57 years ago, just married and ballooning weight. He was spot on.

I have started recording foods again because I must keep a protein level of 75gm to boost my immune system. I started 4 weeks ago and have already dropped  2.2lbs (1 Kg), mainly around the waist.. I had a major operation a few months ago and put on weight. My average activity is domestic with some intense activities and average 7.800 steps/day.  It's working for me..AGAIN..

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer