Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

98lbs to lose. A long road ahead

Hi everyone.

This is my first post to the Fitbit community Smiley Happy

I’m a 32 year old mum of 2 with a job as a waitress and am just starting on my weight loss journey. 

I downloaded the Fitbit app and used mobile track since around mid February 2019, but was finding I was only tracking steps etc so finally took the plunge yesterday and brought myself a Versa special edition which I love so far.

After much thought and deliberation I’ve set my goal weight to 105lbs (I’m 5,3) but seeing as I currently weigh 203lbs have a whopping 98lbs to lose to get there. 

Just wondering if anyone else has lost this amount and if so, what did it take for you to get there? Thanks

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

I only had 60 pounds to lose, but I will offer some advice. You will also get many other nuggets of wisdom from the many great folks in this community. First and foremost, do not become discouraged at the pace at which it will take to achieve your goal. It takes time, dedication and patience. Since you work at one of the most under appreciated jobs, your focus can be interrupted by stressful situations. I found it was best to set up mini-goals rather than the end goal. Don't think of a 100 lb. loss - think of a 10 lb. loss. When that happens, celebrate!

Good luck with your journey - you can (and will) do it.

Best Answer

Welcome to the community, @Fleas, and congrats for your decision/resolution! You also got it right by realizing it will take time. You will see posts about losing 50 pounds in three months, 20 pounds in two weeks etc., but just because something can be done doesn’t mean it’s optimal. The problem with the "biggest loser" approach is that it usually causes your weight loss to stall way sooner than necessary, and makes losing further a lot harder.

Your current weight puts you at BMI 36 (lower end of class 2 obesity). Your stated goal of 105 lbs would be BMI 18.6, i.e. lower end of the normal weight range, borderline underweight. At 140 lbs (BMI 24.8), you would enter the normal weight range. Even though it would require losing "only" 63 pounds, it would still be challenging enough (that would be 31% of your starting weight). It would likely cancel out most if not all of the adverse health effects of the extra weight. You could go lower than that after a while if you so decided, but 140 would be a more realistic/attainable first goal IMO.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thank you to both for taking the time to reply. 

I realise I may have set an unrealistic goal to be honest as I weighed that at 17 but I ran 5k 3 days a week back then as well as a marshal art class and a dance class. I also calorie counted obsessively and that’s not something I’m willing to go back to with impressionable children around. 

I think my first goal should be to get into the “overweight” category then once I’ve got there then get to the normal weight category.

My 11 year old son is training to do our towns half marathon next year and id love to join him in that so there’s a good fitness goal right there.

Best Answer

Sounds like you have a good plan! I hope you join your son in the half Marathon. It would be  so much fun to train for it together!

Keep us posted!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Hi there,

I have 100 lbs to lose.  I have lost 80 in 6 months.  I've worked hard with exercise and completely changing my food habits.  This is a lifestyle change for me.  If you would like to friend me for support, I am all for it.  We could keep each other accountable.  It will take TIME, so please allow yourself to make strides in smaller increments.  Knock those out one at a time and then you will be well on your way.  Understand that it's tough and there are days that will mentally be a struggle.  

Best Answer

Hey, I've got 90 lbs to lose too.  I'm committed to doing SOMETHING 5 days a week.  today that was going for a walk and doing a 30 minute weight training session.  

I started 2 weeks ago and GAINED 6 lbs.  whatever.  I'm assuming it will go away over time and the worst that can happen is that I can ignore it and stop trying, right?

anyway, happy to support you!

I was 120 lbs when I was a waitress.  its the last time I was happy with my weight.  also, I was 20.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Fleas wrote:

Just wondering if anyone else has lost this amount and if so, what did it take for you to get there? 

Check this other post, in which I picked up a few success stories of community members.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes