Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I over budget for calories in or not.

On my dashboard, On the food tile, it states that I have:

2350 Cal's in

435 Cal's left

When I click the tile however it states:

Over budget

2350 Cal's in, 2890 Cal's out. 

164 Cal's over budget.

Am I missing a translation here, or is this just one of those Fitbit lags/ bugs?

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

The over-budget is supposed to mean that you've exceeded your calorie intact at that instant in time.  That amount will change as the day goes on and you accumulate more activity and living time.

Personally, I ignore that altogether and just keep track of my calorie intact throughout the day against my personally set limits.  The problem is that the Fitbit seems to overestimate calorie expenditures, so that the reported calorie deficit is higher than it should be.  That can cause someone to eat more than they should in order to meet their goals.

By setting my own limits I have greater control and awareness of my diet progress and I then use the Fitbit to make sure I'm keeping pace with my overall activity level.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I go by the scale; it never lies.

If you're gaining weight, step back the calories in a bit.

If you're losing weight (more than you'd like), add some more calories.

Once you have things calibrated for you, it will be easy to manage Fitbit's numbers with your own experiences.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the reply. I understand weight loss and weight gain.

I just want to know if this is an actual form of measurement that fitbit uses and the delay is intentional, or it is one of those bugs that goes with having a fitbit.

I am aware that fitness watches are never entirely accurate, they are more along the lines of accountability trackers plus or minus 100. 

Little bits of information not being consistent just bother me. Especially if I pay for them. 

Best Answer

The community on this app is top notch.

Thank you for the reply. I understand weight loss and weight gain.

I just want to know if this is an actual form of measurement that fitbit uses and the delay is intentional, or it is one of those bugs that goes with having a fitbit.

I am aware that fitness watches are never entirely accurate, they are more along the lines of accountability trackers plus or minus 100. 

Little bits of information not being consistent just bother me. Especially if I pay for them. 

Best Answer

I'm the same way as far as consistency is concerned.  That's why I tend to harp on the "dynamic" calorie count.  It can really give contradictory advice to people who are relying on it to shed weight.

Best Answer

Consistency and tracking logistics is the key to success. I am right there with you on that notion.

What do you mean specifically when you say "dynamic" calorie count?

Best Answer

I’m talking about automated calorie deficit tracking scheme that Fitbit uses to maintain your stated calorie deficit by adjusting your allowable number of calories to account for you daily activity

Best Answer
0 Votes