Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anticonvulsants and weight gain

I'm on lamictal for temporal lobe epilepsy and it really doesn't help weight loss

Any other epileptics sruggling with their weight, if so any tips?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Welcome to the forums @Clashton! While I am not on this sort of treatment, I know how difficult it is to lose weight as is, let alone with an illness. Congratulations for embarking on this journey for a healthier, leaner you.

The Epilepsy Society UK has a diet, health and exercise page that I'm sure will be very beneficial if you choose to follow it. Smiley Happy

Have a great day! Smiley Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the very helpful link

My epilepsy is very well controlled on a relatively low dose of anticonvulsants, unfortunately it's just enough to cause all the problems!

I have more issues with my PTSD and high blood pressure to be honest! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been taking seizure medication for most of my 62.5 year life.   Though I watch what I eat and workout regularly, weight comes on quickly.   Unfortunately I don't believe these exercise watches & medical science are advanced enough to accurately measure how seizure meds affect the Liver, gastrointestinal and general metabolism.    I also believe that age, weight, gender, genetic background and of course your Meds all affect metabolism rates......with meds "slowing it down" somewhat. 

From a person who takes Depakote, Keppra, a Sleep Med and High-Blood pressure, I have found that not eating snacks late at night, drinking plenty of water and working out regularly is the best advise anyone can give.  

One day Fitbit or one of their competitors will allow one to put in their Meds & Condition and it will "handicap" the measurements so you can modify your lifestyle accordingly.   Maybe before I die? 

USA / New Yorker

Best Answer
0 Votes