Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any users struggling with PCOS?

My PCOS is making it sooo hard for me to lose weight and I was just wondering if anybody has some advice/tips on how to get through it

Best Answer
0 Votes
39 REPLIES 39

Hey,

I struggle with PCOS as well. My weight has been up & down for years. I took Metformin a couple of years ago but my OB/GYN says I don't need it anymore because my A1c levels are normal. So I'm just taking Generess Fe to regulate my cycles. I want my weight to finally be down so I'm taking control of my diet and exercise. I cut out soda about a year ago and I'm cutting down on fast food (slowly but surely). I'm on my feet at my job 3 days a week for 12 hours. At the end of those days, I have over 13,000 steps. Stress is another factor that keeps my weight up. My goal is to do at least 10,000 steps a day and join a Zumba or dance class to help relieve the stress. I believe we can all overcome PCOS if we just stay in control of our diet and exercise. I hope you ladies are successful and wish you all nothing but the best! Smiley HappyHeart

Best Answer

I have PCOS. The doctors had me on birth control and i  gained 45lbs. while on it (they said it helps PCOS) i was eating healthy and playing a lot of sports. So one day i stopped taking it, it wasn't helping, and a month later i started losing weight.

Do you take birth control?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hey I do take birth control. I take Generess Fe. Although I did gain weight the past year (almost 20 pounds since I started taking it last November smh), I didn't think it could be because of my birth control. I chalked it up to being stressed out at my job & not eating right. I try to eat 3 meals a day but most days it's 2 meals. I was off birth control for a year & lost 20+ pounds. When I met my boyfriend, we decided it was best that I get on BC so we wouldn't have any pregnancy scares. Even though my periods are lighter, my cramps are less severe, & my cycles are regular, I should probably rethink birth control. I need to lose weight & keep it off.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

The birth control I took did not help at all, I would either bleed for 3 months or didnt have my period for a year. Stress is the worse. After i started losing weight I got obsessed with my weight, so then i started eating once a day (small meal) and started gaining a bunch, even though i exercise a lot . Now that i eat more and exercise the same, i am starting to lose again. I also found it helpful not to look at the scale, but to just measure yourself. Rember muscle weighs more than fat.

Also make sure you speal with your doctor.

My fiance and i have been trying to have a baby, but no luck. If you are ready to take that step then i say go for it, you can always go back on it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Oh no! That's crazy! That's awesome that you figured it out & you're losing weight! Good luck to you & your fiancé with the baby!!! They are truly blessings & I can't wait for us to be "ready" one day. I know no one is every truly ready. But we're both still in school & trying to finish so we can be financially stable, get married & travel a bit before we start trying.

I will definitely talk to my doctor because I have definitely gained a bunch of weight & hasn't even been a year since I started taking it. Thank you so much for the advice!
Best Answer

BC is a whole other devil. IF it helps, it usually takes years to find one that does. I've been on at least a dozen different ones, and none of them seemed to help (I get really mean on BC for some reason), and my symptoms worsened. I know everyone reacts differently to each of them, so don't be shy in telling your doctor if you need a different one, or if you'd like something to supplement it. You might also ask your doctor about an implant like the Mirena IUD, which gets much closer to actual hormones than BC (and most insurances cover it now).

I still swear by hormones, but they are a little more hassle than just taking a pill. My PCOS was so bad that BC wasn't even close to needed for it's intended purpose... with PCOSers, prolonged use of BC can actually make it much more difficult to have children later, because while the symptoms may lessen or even subside, the condition is worsening. Most medications work at the synapse of a nerve, and because BC is a "fake" hormone replacement, it's like putting a square peg in a round hole. The round peg can't get through, so your symptoms improve, but nothing is working on the root cause. Just be REALLY SURE to research the heck out of whatever BC you're prescribed before you start taking it! 

"You can't out-run your fork!"
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have PCOS and have been struggling to lose weight for years. The first birth control my PCP put me on was depo-provera which caused me to gain about 60 more pounds. It was awful. Now I am taking Yaz and it is SO much better. I did try Metformin for a bit, but found no positive health effects so the doctor and I agreed to discontinue that medication. My fiance and I have been using Fitbit products for the last couple of years and lead fairly active lifestyles as we have to commute a couple miles to work each day in the city and also go to the gym. We eat healthy other than a meal out every now and then and my fiance has had great success in his weight loss efforts, but I have never been able to lose more than about 15 pounds at a time before I start gaining it back. It has been absolutely soul-crushing to work so hard and see no results!! I talked to my doctor about my concerns and she suggested I try a prescription weight-loss med... I have always been very wary of these, but after I got engaged, I finally gave in and decided to try one out. I started taking Qsymia about 3 and a half weeks ago and so far it has been extremely helpful. The major downside is that insurance doesn't cover it so it is a bit expensive -- I was able to get a free 2 week trial and then $75 off/month for a year but even so I think it's like $130/month. Although, I have lost 10 pounds and people are already noticing. It's not a miracle drug by any means -- I am still working my ass off to diet and exercise. But, for the first time in a very long time, I feel like there's hope. And that hope means everything to me!!!! 

Best Answer

I have found that low carb and lots of aerobic activity is the only way to manage my PCOS. My hormone levels are so bad that when I first went to the endocrinologist at 180 lbs, he said my bloodwoork looked  like that of someone who weighed at least twice that. I cut out as many sugars as I could and saw huge, immediate results. When I am eating in my calories and working out but still eating sugars, I do not lose weight. When I eat in my calories and workout and limit carbs I loset a lot, and the other PCOS symptoms lessen. We were told that I would never concieve without IVF so my husband and I chose to adopt. With low carb eating and working out 4 days a week we very accidentally and surpise! got pregnant twice...ten years apart! Our third son was born in October and I was put on bed rest during the pregnancy which means that my PCOS symptoms are curently out of control and I have a good 50 lbs to lose!

It can be done!  Keep tweaking and experimenting until you find what works for YOUR body!

Best Answer
Yes! I have had the worst luck with practitioners. After months of diet watching and exercise I continued to gain weight. Went to my general practitioner and was essentially told "you are fat you need to run more. Here's a headlamp recommendation in case you need to run at night" since then I have been curious about an endo and if they might be a bigger help. So sorry to hear of your struggle. If we aren't TTC seems like people don't know what to do with us. Luck to you!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey Cara---same here. I have PCOS and struggle daily. I have been dieting for about the same amount of time, and have GAINED 20 lbs over the last two years. Metformin did not work for me, and my blood sugar levels are actually fine, so I technically don't need it. I have lost almost 10 lbs since Christmas, and I think it's because it's the first time I decided not to crash diet or try to lose a ton of weight at once, to just be patient with it and realistic. I've just been allowing myself one cheat meal a week (not a whole day!) and trying to stay away from carbs and switching to water instead of diet soda. I can't tell a difference and still feel huge and have another 60 lbs to go, but am trying to stay positive. Please feel free to friend my on fitbit. If you want to private message me, I can also send you my FB if you need a friend/accountability buddy! I know I do!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi I have PCOS and I can only loose weight if I completely stop using sugar, white flour, white rice, etc. Generally my carb intake is only from non starchy vegetables and low glycemic fruits. The moment I start eating sugar or bad carbs I gain weight even if my calories intake is low. Good luck, I know how difficult is to lose weight with PCOS. If I didn't have PCOS I'd be super slim, I exercise so much and eat so little. I hate PCOS.
Best Answer

Present!

And struggling to lose weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I personally don't have PCOS but know a number of people who do. I use some really good nutrition products and I know people who have PCOS have done really well with them...high-quality, clean protein, flooding the body with nutrition, eating foods that reduce inflammation, and using nutrition that helps to balance out hormones helps to bring the body back into balance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What a horrible journey! I have PCOS and I reached my peak weight in January.  After a few months of some ups and downs, but no true commitment, I lost 3 pounds.  In March I joined a CKO gym - cardio kickboxing - and it has changed my life.  I go 4 times a week, and I cannot get enough!  Even though I've been doing 240 minutes of intense cardio a week, I've only lost 13 pounds since I joined in March.  BUT, I can tell I'm stronger.  I can run a 5k.  My clothes are a little looser.  I had bloodwork done about a month ago, and even with all of this hardwork, I was still found to be pre-diabetic.  So now I'm on metformin and I think it is helping. The weight is VERY SLOWLY coming off.  In any other world and any other diet phase, I would have given up by now at how slow the progress is going - but I now I have an activity that I actually love.  It's not a chore to go, I don't have to force myself.  I love it.  So I think finding some kidn of activity that you enjoy is one of the best things you can do.  Secondarily, maybe see about getting on metformin.  It has helped with my appetite, and other PCOS symtoms like lessened my facial hair.  Thirdly - if you are going to "diet," make it something that is reasonable and practical.  I still indulge a bit on the on the weekends with alcohol, chips and salsa at the bar, etc.  I try to stay good during the week, but I almost always have a 100 calorie klondike bar every night for dessert.  A lot of this is probably why the weight is coming off slow, but it's still coming off, and this "lifestyle" is what's working for me.  I hope you find something that works for you!  

P.S. I started going to my CKO gym simply because I found it on Groupon, and I convinced a friend to go with me the first time so I wouldn't be so intimidated (by myself).  Now I'm addicted.  Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is the problem I also have. I am about to see a new Gyno who specializes in PCOS and while scheduling me, the receptionist said "are you trying to concieve?" I said no, and she said "well, ummm... I suppose we can still see you." ... 😞

So I have my fingers crossed but I expect no miracles.. apparently I dont matter unless I plan on procreating. I am going to ask for labs to be taken, and then I am gonig to start a diet, exercise, and suppliment routine that I have put together for myself (my degree is in nutrition)

I will have my labs done every 3-6 months in hopes that I can somehow help myself. I will let you know if what I try works! My appointment is in a week. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi 🙂

I have PCOS, hypothyroidism and insulin resistance. Worst jackpot ever. When I was first diagnosed my doctor started me on synthetic thyroid (Euthyrox) and oral contraceptives (Yazz) and I lost almost 15kg in few months. Of course I took daily walks with my dog and went to gym to lift weight. Being young also helped. The thing is, I didn't follow a certain diet. I only cut carbs completely. No bread, no pasta, no sweets. I loaded myself on proteins mainly. This plan worked for me for a while, but meanwhile I moved overseas and started a stressful study period, and my eating became very disorganized. I stopped regular excersizing too.

Now I have this extra 15kg again that I want to get rid off. A few months ago I stopped eating carbs again and started daily walks, but no change in my weight. I guess my metabolism is not  fast as it used to be. I've been reading about calorie counting and how laws of thermodynamics should apply to every single person, so I wanted to give it a try. I've started to count my calories, I'm eating almost 500 calories less than my basal metobolism requires. There are good days and hungry days, but I'm trying to stay below 1500. I'll weigh myself soon and see if this plan works even though I have PCOS. In my current diet I've incorporated carbs slowly, but still there's lots of proteins. I try to eat everything in moderation, but of course no junk food or extra sweet things. When I have cravings (if you have PCOS, you have cravings for sugar) I pop a square of dark chocolate and try to make the craving go away. 

There are days when I just want to grab my whole uterus and throw it in the garbage for making me go through this extra difficult path. I'm just hoping the calorie restriction thing works, because cutting carbs doesn't work for me anymore, and I don't know what will after this point. 

Best Answer

It's been a few montsh since I started counting calories and exercising (almost regularly). I've started to see the results. My jeans are loose, my cup size is slowly getting smaller. Because of walking and running, my legs became more toned and cellulite is disappearing. The most important thing is, the fat ring around my belly due to insulin resistance is melting away. If I could incorportate some weight lifting in the upcoming days, I think I'll see my body change faster. 

Being a person with PCOS and hypothyroidsm, I never thought I could lose weight while eating moderate amount of carbs. My cravings are under control and I feel more full after meals. Eating 1000kcal a day is not always easy, but if I overeat one day I can balance it out in the next days. I'm trying to have complex carbs and wholemeal options, and stay away from too much processed carbs that would make me hungry right after the meals. 

It's working for me so far, the laws of thermodynamics did not fail me 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! It's been wonderful to read everyone's stories and knowing that I'm not the only one. 

I have PCOS and endometriosis; I'm also struggling with some reactive hyperglycemia. So far I've lost over 50 pounds from my highest weight. To do it I've been cooking from scratch, whole grains, lots of protein and fresh veggies. I moved out and living in a 4th floor without an elevator does energize me whenever I need to do grocery shopping or run an errand. Smiley Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

Look, I don't have any science to back this up, but I would say the biggest factor in my pcos has been stress levels. When I'm under less stress and feel good about my choices I go down to a healthier weight. When I'm rushing to the gym every day at like 11:30 at night because I've worked all day. I seem to balloon up, I get WAY hairier and my anxiety goes through the roof! 
So I would put it to you to find a way to break up all your work with something that calms your mind. Biking, yoga and long walks alone do it for me. 

I know it's WAY more easier said than done but I think it's more helpful than creating more stress.
OH YEA! And stop eating dairy, trust me, stop it...like now. It'll stop the hair and you'll feel...lighter. 

Best Answer
0 Votes