Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Body Fat % Increase From Weather?

ANSWERED

I've had an Aria for years and have noticed that my body fat percentage is higher in cooler months than in the summer.  Some parts of my city has seen its first snowfall and my body fat in the last week or so has increased by about 1-2% points.  My weight is more or less stable, fluctuating no more than 1 to 1.5 lb. I wonder if, it's a combination of weather and the fact that I haven't seen my trainer in month (my husband and I just welcomed a baby carried by a gestational surrogate, so we've been spending time with him.  I've made time to do 30-40 minutes of cardio five or six times a week and have only started going back to barre classes a week ago).  Pre-baby, my workout schedule kind of looked like this:

45 minutes of barre x 1

60 minutes Essentrics x 1

60 minute PT session x 1

30-40 minutes cardio x 2 or 3

This doesn't include walking sessions.  I typically clock in 18K-20K steps a day.  I don't eat much added sugar.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The amount of water you consume may be affected by the weather but not body fat. It’s possible you may have gained some fat because you weren’t doing as much as before the baby came but I think it may just be mostly water fluctuations. You are getting back into the groove of your workout routine which can cause water retention. Give it some time to settle down.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

@writergal28 wrote:

I've had an Aria for years and have noticed that my body fat percentage is higher in cooler months than in the summer.  Some parts of my city has seen its first snowfall and my body fat in the last week or so has increased by about 1-2% points.  My weight is more or less stable, fluctuating no more than 1 to 1.5 lb. I wonder if, it's a combination of weather and the fact that I haven't seen my trainer in month (my husband and I just welcomed a baby carried by a gestational surrogate, so we've been spending time with him.  I've made time to do 30-40 minutes of cardio five or six times a week and have only started going back to barre classes a week ago).  Pre-baby, my workout schedule kind of looked like this:

45 minutes of barre x 1

60 minutes Essentrics x 1

60 minute PT session x 1

30-40 minutes cardio x 2 or 3

This doesn't include walking sessions.  I typically clock in 18K-20K steps a day.  I don't eat much added sugar.

I have read some studies done on animals that suggest that hormonal changes are affected by seasons.  Especially in the winter period months, where elevated cortisol levels, which then kicks in insulin, may suggest that the body sensed food shortage due to the impending food shortage in cooler months and respond appropriately in storing more body fat.  Other than that. the body also will respond by burning a higher proportion of fat during sleep as well during fasting (while sleeping or hibernating (in case of the animal studies)) so it balances out.  So the take away point is, have a good long night deep sleep during the cooler months to offset any gain in body fat%.  Your workout period isn't long enough to have any impact on reducing body fat, unless you do a long slow steady workout exceeding 120 minutes or so.  Good deep sleep, however, has a much high impact in fat burning because your cortisol level is down as well as your insulin; 2 of the major hormones that regulate fat burning.  If insulin is present in your body, then the body will not burn fat which is mostly during the day after you ate. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure about weather effects, but I can tell you that 1-2% variance in body fat levels can happen at any time. Bodyfat analysis is still in its early stages.

I would guess it's the skipping training.BTW, congrats on the addition to your family.

Being dehydrated can also increase body fat readings. I say readings so we remember that the numbers were given aren't definitive (get a DEXA scan for more accuracy). But over time, the readings will give us a sense of the trend. So don't sweat a percentage or two change. Totally normal.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

The amount of water you consume may be affected by the weather but not body fat. It’s possible you may have gained some fat because you weren’t doing as much as before the baby came but I think it may just be mostly water fluctuations. You are getting back into the groove of your workout routine which can cause water retention. Give it some time to settle down.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's not uncommon to notice changes in body composition during the colder months, especially with the arrival of winter and decreased outdoor activity. Factors like weather and changes in workout routine can contribute to fluctuations in body fat percentage. With the recent snowfall and adjustments to your exercise regimen due to welcoming a new baby, it's natural to see some changes in your body composition. However, maintaining consistency with your cardio and barre classes, as well as watching your sugar intake, can help mitigate these changes. Consider incorporating indoor activities like Winter Memories Game to stay active during the colder months, and don't forget to prioritize self-care and time with your new addition.

Best Answer
0 Votes