Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caloric information turning it off

I want the caloric information to be completely hidden in my dashboard. Fitbit is tremendously overestimating my kcal burns during walking and I think it's misleading and even counter productive. I've read many test reviews of these activity trackers and all are way off especially during walking and i just don't understand why you include a feature that's working so badly 20-30% off during walking... 

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Have you tested to confirm the distance is correct when you do a walk?

Sometimes that's the issue - the default stride length is calculated from gender & height, and for averages can be close enough unless doing tons of steps and a small error becomes huge.

But it's also a setting to be corrected.

Other issue is some walking bumps people into mode of Fitbit using HR-based calorie burn - and indeed that is inflated, would be best to stick to distance-based calorie burn.

I will say those reviews I've seen all have a device slapped on to someone for a 1 hr test - which is a misunderstanding of how the devices gets to know the body it's on and gets more accurate, really an invalid test.

Try turning HR-reading off on the exercise pace walks, and confirm the distance is correct.

And are you comparing the calorie burn to something more accurate, or just different? How do you know something different is more accurate, or itself not correct either?

Here is calculation based on years of research studies. Use gross to compare to what Fitbit reports.

https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

you can delete the tile by hitting the edit function on the app. I will also mention that it will estimate the same calorie burn each time for the same activity give or take a small percentage. So you can still use the data to your advantage to track level of activity and calories. if you know it is overestimating, build that into your intake allowance as well. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes