Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calorie in vs calorie out

Hello all, I recently received a Fitbit Charge HR for Father's Day and I'm liking it so far, but becoming a little frustrated with the calorie tracker. I'm using a 1000 calorie deficit, but have yet to hit my target, I'm always under. I'm a little hesitant to eat he calories I need to to hit my target as it seems like too much. What are the consequences of eating under my calorie intake? Will it affect my weekly weight loss or is it more of a concern of how my body will react once my diet evens out? I'm used to using the old version of Weight Watchers which is based a lot around calories as well and I kind of use it side by side right now still which mostly makes me nervous about if I should or shouldn't be eating 2000+ calories while still trying to lose 2 lbs/ week.
Best Answer
0 Votes
16 REPLIES 16

One thing I recommend is to maintain control. If you need extra calories or feel very hungry, I recommend adding low calorie sidesteps. Here's my nutrition at current which I modify a couple of times:

• Jenny Craig 1200 calories
  • 1 Apple
  • 1 carton of egg whites depending on how much you pour into a stove pan (300 calories average for how much I poured in)
  • AM set of Whey Protein, PM set of Whey Protein, Case-In Protein bedtime.
  • "Low calorie popcorn" (average calories 300 a bag) or 100 calorie bags.

I burned 4,186 calories and ate 2,535 calories yesterday with low hunger and lost 3 pounds this morning.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yeah, I'm by no means hunger at day's end, but I'm also not losing much weight weekly (0.5-1 lb) going by the WW older method and going with the Fitbit calorie count I should be eating even more calories. Will I not lose weight properly if I'm in the "yellow" zone?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Forget that tile - it's useless really.

it's a per moment snapshot compare.

And there is no way you gained or maintained your higher weight having trouble eating to your eating goal now.

But I'm betting WW did you no favors for your metabolism - probably about shot right now.

At this point, you are going to have an interesting time losing any weight. And by interesting, I mean stressful and non-productive.

Consistently eating at extreme deficit (which you are attempting and doing) will have negative effects on body - plus workouts don't make near the improvements they could otherwise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

So you're saying I need to eat within the 1000 calorie deficit?

Just seems weird to think I need to eat more calories to lose more weight. Seems counterproductive. I get the long term effects and likely lose of metabolism, but still seems weird.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JD77 wrote:

So you're saying I need to eat within the 1000 calorie deficit?

Just seems weird to think I need to eat more calories to lose more weight. Seems counterproductive. I get the long term effects and likely lose of metabolism, but still seems weird.

Yes, it does seem weird and backwards - and it does to everyone that receives the advice usually to not make a bigger deficit.

Tell me - if bigger seems better - why not stop eating and really get the weight lost fast?

What effects are you aware of that will occur?

I'm betting there are many more you are unaware of that will get you too.

What's the first thing your body does when you eat extreme deficit, just guess?

And they still happen to a lesser degree when taking an extreme deficit.

Do you want your workouts to have less if any effect on transforming your body?

Do you want to be required to eat very small amounts together with bigger amounts of exercise as you try to reach goal weight?

Do you want to have to eat less than possible in maintenance along with lots of exercise to maintain weight?

Do you want to be worried about how little must be eaten if you get injured or sick or on vacation and can't exercise as much as normal, just so you don't gain fat?

Do you want to be more prone to injury and sickness as body has less resources to expend?

Do you want to have a terrible relationship with food because of being required to eat so little?

Further research since this shows that the effects these Dr's are talking about don't HAVE to happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
To win, we have to lose. The four-part HBO Documentary Films series, The Weight of The Nation explores the obesity epidemic in America. For more information on The Weight of the Nation, visit http://hbo.com/theweightofthenation. Connect with The Weight of the Nation on Facebook: ...
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the info. Not sure to the actually answers to some of those questions which is likely why I'm in a state of frustration right now with my weight (or lack there of). It really isn't that I'm so little, but that I'm exercising a lot more than I have in many years. I typically try to ride the stationary bike for an hour before work, walk 3.5 km at lunch, and lift weights after work. It makes up to about a 3500-4000 calorie burn a day so eating healthier makes tough to get to 2500-3000 calories.

Either way, I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JD77 wrote:

Thanks for the info. Not sure to the actually answers to some of those questions which is likely why I'm in a state of frustration right now with my weight (or lack there of). It really isn't that I'm so little, but that I'm exercising a lot more than I have in many years. I typically try to ride the stationary bike for an hour before work, walk 3.5 km at lunch, and lift weights after work. It makes up to about a 3500-4000 calorie burn a day so eating healthier makes tough to get to 2500-3000 calories.

I, too, was surprised to learn I should be eating back the calories I'd burn from exercise. After I tried doing it, though, I realized my weight loss is still occuring at the projected rate. Additionally, I had more energy to continue doing this daily. I remember when I wouldn't eat back my exercise calories - there would be many days I'd want to just skip working out altogether because I'd feel tired or cranky.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Textwanderer wrote:

About half the time I do feel hunger, but that's why I said have some sidesteps in the healthy idea. Now you don't want too many popcorn bags. Limit it to one bag or a 100 calorie bag. But Egg Whites, you can have as many as needed and make it from a recipe. Red Pepper Omelette for example which is diced onions and tomatoes and red peppers along with egg whites for metabolism burn.

I edited my comments in the previous posting.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JD77 wrote:

Well, most of those questions should have been an easy No.

Don't let frustration and emotion get in the way of thinking ability, it'll get you every time in most aspects of life I've seen from people.

You also are repeating an often misunderstood concept by talking about all your extra exercise.

Exercise is NOT about weight loss. Side effect of exercise is actually weight gain - water weight to start with.

Diet is for weight loss, done right just fat loss, done wrong include muscle mass.

Exercise is for health health and body transform, done right can aid fat loss, done wrong can include muscle mass.

Only thing exercise helps with for diet is making you burn more daily, so then when you take a reasonable deficit - you get to eat more than if you didn't exercise.

And that may help you adhere to diet better getting to eat more than otherwise.

You have an excellent workout routine - little of everything for heart health and body transform.

If it's hard to eat correctly for your level of exercise - stop doing so much that is just about burning calories for what you think is weight loss - and make the workouts better for transforming the body, though it may not burn as much.

Now - do you manually log any of those workouts?

What Fitbit are you using?

Because you could be inflating calorie burn to.

Stationary bike could be telling you a distance you rode, and you manually enter and tell Fitbit distance and time, and it's formula based on riding outside with air resistance is totally inflated calorie burn.

Or lifting should be manually entered because it doesn't burn as much as cardio, but HR-based calorie burn will inflate that one.

Best Answer
0 Votes

" It makes up to about a 3500-4000 calorie burn a day so eating healthier makes tough to get to 2500-3000 calories."

"Eating Healthier" is subjective.

You arent going to eat the calories *you* need on a diet of mostly kale

Someone who drives to work, has a desk job, and doesnt do any excercise, is going to need a diet of mostly kale to get their micronutrients in their calorie allowance.

Spoonful of peanut butter is always a good way to top off your calories before bed time.

Charge HR 2
208lbs 01/01/18 - 197.8lbs 24/01/18 - 140lbs 31/12/18
Best Answer
Makes sense and I've been giving it a decent go this week. Hopefully I see some better results sooner rather than later.

I have the Charge HR and the only exercise I log are my walks, but for that I just use the GPS tracker part of the app so I know my distance and such. Bikes, I figured it better to just let the heart rate indicator on the unit do the work for me. Never tracked weight lifting either since there's down time between reps and sets (I use that time to try and take steps or walk flights of stairs if I need to get them in).
Best Answer
0 Votes
Eating healthier for me is a decent diet at all. Little more fruit, no pop, no fast food, lot more vegetables, etc...

And I eat more peanut butter to help get some calories and protein in throughout the day as well.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep, good use of device.

Lifting should just be manually logged, more accurate that way. Because HR-based is totally incorrect, not because of the pauses, but rather because that high HR you hit was because of anaerobic effort, not aerobic the HR-calorie formula is based on.

And yes - the database entry for Weights is based on rests of 2-4 min between sets.

Circuit training is up to 1 min rests between lifts.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the help/info on this. I'm glad I haven't just thrown in the towel already. I'm sure I'll get there with some little tweaks.

My wife does WW and she was told that you can run into issues losing weight if you don't eat all your "points" as your body thinks it's starving and holds onto fat as reserve. Something along those lines. Any truth to this train of thought?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@JD77 wrote:
Thanks for the help/info on this. I'm glad I haven't just thrown in the towel already. I'm sure I'll get there with some little tweaks.

My wife does WW and she was told that you can run into issues losing weight if you don't eat all your "points" as your body thinks it's starving and holds onto fat as reserve. Something along those lines. Any truth to this train of thought?

Well, starving, as in not eating at all, and starvation mode, undereating by too much for the body, are 2 different things with 2 different sets of effects.

Many people apply the effects from starving to starvation mode, aka adaptive thermogenesis, metabolic efficiency, ect.

When starving, eventually yes your body will decide it needs to hold on to the fat and use other resources to produce energy, like muscle. So the whole equation changes on fat burning being 90% of energy source when at rest. People have been found to have damaged heart muscle while caring enough fat for energy - sometimes the way the body works doesn't help. Like hypothermia, sure the core is warm for a tad, but the brain is dead and extremities are frozen and won't survive even if warmed up. Good job core, you held for another 30 min perhaps.

The other myth is you'll gain weight, which doesn't happen in starving either.

The other myth is it happens merely by skipping a meal - you'll find some commercials actually say that.

But what has been shown in studies for 20 plus years is the body is great at adapting, both getting stronger from the right kind of stress - and slowing down due to the wrong kind of deficit eating.

Genetics plays a part, how much stress the body is under generally (health, lack of sleep, life, food sensitivities, ect), how abused the body is from past experiences, and how big the deficit is, which is in relation to amount to lose and amount of daily burn.

So someone small and not doing much could cause it with what appears to be a small deficit for their little to lose.

And some morbidly obese could see no effect with huge deficit for awhile. But even there, case studies show Dr's count on the effect - but the deficit is so huge anyway, they still lose, and by the time they've lost some - they can exercise, so now they have made the deficit bigger again. Not always great though.

Study for BMI range overweight folks merely taking a 25% deficit from lab measured daily burn - slowed their daily burn down by an additional 500 calories in 3 months below what it needed to be at. So they had to eat less because they weighed less. They had to eat less because they lost some muscle mass and metabolism slowed down. And in addition to that they had to eat about 20% less because their body just became more metabolically efficient.

And a body that has slowed down due to undereating, is not interesting in spending more precious energy building and improving things from exercise that will require even more energy. So the benefits of exercise turn in to merely burning more calories, not getting the improvements you could from it.

That's really the only effect of starvation mode - the body slows down upwards of 20% what it could burn. But what it burns, % of carbs and fat, ect, all stay the same - just slower.

And not as much benefit from exercise.

Oh, and more injury prone and weaker immune system, less resources to fight things off.

And if underlying medical issues - they'll usually show up from the stress. This is when women start losing their hair, nails brittle, skin dry, can't stay warm, loss of period, ect.

So I guess there are other side effects actually.

You can keep losing weight - just gotta eat a whole lot less.

So the kicker is - who is going to have more success - the person that must eat 20% less than potential...

or the person that can eat more and get body transform from exercise, and less stress on body.

Who will reach goal easier, and have better success with maintenance.

Not to speak of better relationship with food.

When in steep deficit and glucose stores with attached water are very depleted (first thing body does to slow down), having a lot of carbs but even within goal, or binging and going over by some small amount, perhaps not even over maintenance - causes big fast water weight gain, which causes discouragement and negative thinking.

While there could be a lot to be said about getting the weight off as fast as possible, I think more could be said about taking it slow and steady, unless the extra fat is just causing it's own health issues, then a middle ground could be found.

Best Answer
0 Votes