Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories Burned vs Calories Eaten

Hello everyone.  I have been keeping track of my calories/macros for keto.  Over the last 10 weeks, I have averaged 2935 calories burned per day.  During that same time, I have consumed on average 2178 calories per day.  That's a deficit of approx 750 calories per day.  During this time period, I have not lost any weight. 

Anyone out there have any thoughts on settings that I should adjust/check?  Or, any other input.

FYI, I am using Fitbit Charge 3 & KetoDiet app.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

@dallasrei  Just as an experiment for a few days,  maybe you could take a break from your technology and stop exercising., Eat 1200 calories which is the number they put all the 600 pound people on (on the TV show).  I'll bet you will lose weight.  Studies show that people go on an exercise program, eat more and DON'T lose weight. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dallasrei wrote:

Hello everyone.  I have been keeping track of my calories/macros for keto.  Over the last 10 weeks, I have averaged 2935 calories burned per day.  During that same time, I have consumed on average 2178 calories per day.  That's a deficit of approx 750 calories per day.  During this time period, I have not lost any weight. 

Anyone out there have any thoughts on settings that I should adjust/check?  Or, any other input.

FYI, I am using Fitbit Charge 3 & KetoDiet app.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if you are an average sized sedentary female (since you gave no specifics) to be given the minimum calorie allowance recommended to merely get your nutrients in of 1200, nor would I assume you are a 600 lb person under strict Dr supervision and massive testing to not cause any health issues to be given such an extreme diet.

I'm guessing by that daily burn you are not average, and not sedentary, though you didn't mention you were even working out.

Without having included any real details to offer useful suggestions, just 2 things that can cause lack of fat loss when looking at calories burned and eaten. Water weight changes has no calories involved but happens for many reasons, you aren't dealing with actual numbers.

Meaning:

How do you log your food, where?

By weight only (except for liquids), using correct database entries that match nutrition label?

What is your daily activity that you are burning that many calories (that's more than sedentary male too)?

Lots of steps and daily distance, what are those stats?

Ever measured a known walk to confirm the distance is correct?

What if any exercise, how long?

Yes - you could just keep eating less and less and eventually you'll lose weight - but then you might as well throw the Fitbit away because it'll no longer be a useful tool that can be used down the road.

And if you are gaining water weight because of stress, eating less and less will backfire eventually even if scale weight finally drops.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I would say that you are eating at more of a calorie maintenance. I was eating around 2000-2200 and was maintaining with my tracking tell me that I was burning an average 2900 a day, 5'4" 150 female. I cut to 1800 and have seen the weight come off. I would also make sure that you are weighing everything and not guessing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here is what worked for me after experiencing your exact issues.
I needed to ignore the number of calories certain plans (and Fitbit) said I could consume and lose weight, and then come up three calorie numbers, or levels, on my own. 
Since my exercise is consistent week to week, I ignored calories burned. (I’d gain a ton of weight if I ate the daily calories remaining as stated in the Fitbit app. )
For several weeks I carefully counted calories and weighed myself often.  I was then able to arrive at the three numbers that worked for me: 

-I lost weight by consuming no more than 1800 calories. 
-I maintained weight at 2000 daily calories. 
-I gained weight at 2200 or more calories. 
Again, even though I’d finish a day with 2000, for example, Fitbit would say I could consume hundreds more due to calories burned. If I did, I’d gain a significant amount of weight over time. 
So, I can only suggest to take a few weeks of experimenting with calorie-counting and weighing daily during that time period. You should then be able to come up with the three numbers (lose weight, maintain weight, gain weight) that work for you and your level of activity—ignoring the calorie amounts outside programs say are right for you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rona1117 wrote:

Here is what worked for me after experiencing your exact issues.
I needed to ignore the number of calories certain plans (and Fitbit) said I could consume and lose weight, and then come up three calorie numbers, or levels, on my own. 
Since my exercise is consistent week to week, I ignored calories burned. (I’d gain a ton of weight if I ate the daily calories remaining as stated in the Fitbit app. )
For several weeks I carefully counted calories and weighed myself often.  I was then able to arrive at the three numbers that worked for me: 

-I lost weight by consuming no more than 1800 calories. 
-I maintained weight at 2000 daily calories. 
-I gained weight at 2200 or more calories. 
Again, even though I’d finish a day with 2000, for example, Fitbit would say I could consume hundreds more due to calories burned. If I did, I’d gain a significant amount of weight over time. 
So, I can only suggest to take a few weeks of experimenting with calorie-counting and weighing daily during that time period. You should then be able to come up with the three numbers (lose weight, maintain weight, gain weight) that work for you and your level of activity—ignoring the calorie amounts outside programs say are right for you. 

Curious, with only a 200 cal difference in your figures, do the results of taking more than 2 weeks to lose 1 lb really happen?

And when eating 2200 does it really take over 2 weeks to show 1 lb slow gain?

Merely asking because most scales don't even show they have accuracy at 1 lb increments, no matter what they display, the specs listed is many times 1.5 to 2 lbs accuracy.

And water weight fluctuations is more than that on a daily basis for many people.

But very true about accurate logging and coming up with your own numbers for adjustment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes