Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories in and the amount of weight gain?

I know that there are so many variables that it would be almost impossible to be accurate, but is there any sort of calculation that indicates how many pounds you would gain per so many calories? Just out of curiosity I weighed myself before breakfat, ate about 500 calories, weighed myself about an hour later, and my weight gain was two pounds. I had been completely inactive between the two weighings apart from walking from my chair to the table.

I know the amount of time between weighing and eating, the size and weight of a person, one's BMR etc etc will affect it, but people love doing surveys and tests, so are these figures known - or even guessed at?

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Remember, food has water in it which is not included in the calorie count.

If you weigh yourself at the same time of day, preferably in the morning right after waking up, then it's about 3,500 calories/pound over the long term. Depending on the tracker and how well it tracks your individual activities, it will be more or less. 

You can determine the number by totaling your calories in and calories out over about a month. The difference divided by the weight change will be the number of calories per pound. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is water not included? I thought how full your bladder is makes a difference?

Best Answer
0 Votes

To be more clear about what NineToThe Sky said, it takes 3,500 calories over your maintenance calories to gain one pound. Weight will fluctuate throughout the day. That's why it is better to weigh yourself after your fist morning pee. It's not fat that you gained within that hour if that's what you are asking.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@NineToTheSky wrote:

Is water not included? I thought how full your bladder is makes a difference?

I'll get back to basics as I may have misunderstood something in your original post.

...is there any sort of calculation that indicates how many pounds you would gain per so many calories?

The answer is yes. In order to prevent large fluctuations, most people weigh themselves first thing in the morning before drinking anything and after urination. If they are extremely regular, it might be after the first bowel movement. If a person does this, they will lose a pound for about every 3,500 calorie deficit. In order for this to work, a person has to accurately measure the calories eaten.

It sounded like you wanted to eat 500 calories, jump on the scale and see a 1/7th pound increase. This isn't going to happen as food contains a large percentage of water. Presumably, you also drank some liquid with breakfast such as water or coffee. This would explain the two pound gain.

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing this. This is very helpful for me, too (3500 cal deficit/pound loss). 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bogdel wrote:

Thanks for sharing this. This is very helpful for me, too (3500 cal deficit/pound loss). 

Something to keep in mind, the 3,500 calorie = a pound thing is a gross approximation; for some folks the number is hugely different due to their metabolism (typically when they're on a starvation diet).

Best Answer
0 Votes

try that same thing again without eating. weigh yourself, don't do anything. go back to bed, watch a little tv, read a book, sit and think. an hour later weigh yourself again. You will see a difference even though you haven't done anything. weight fluctuates all the time. of course more if you eat, drink, exercise and sweat- but even doing nothing you will see a change..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes