Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories in vs calories out

So I have been recording what I eat and how much I exercise in order to lose a few extra pounds.

I am very active in the early part of the day but sedentary in the later half. I also tend to finish eating about 5:30 because I am not active in the evenings (I have a huge appetite all day but at night I don't have a strong appetite). If I do eat beyond that maybe I have a piece of dark chocolate or a mug of hot cocoa or something. Anyways I noticed that if I am in the zone when I finish eating for the day I often drop under by the time I go to bed. So last night I went over my zone and I woke up this morning and it still reports I am under. Any suggestions for staying in the zone? Like how much over does one need to be to survive the night? I can conceivably have a small snack after dinner but I can't really eat after 7 pm because I go to bed a bit before 10 and I won't be able to sleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Your intake doesn’t have to match your activity (or vice-versa) every single hour of the day. What matters (from the point of view of losing/maintaining/gaining weight) is the net balance over the course of the day (or even over the course of the week, for instance if there are days when you are very active and days when you are less active). So I wouldn’t worry too much about the zone thing, as long as you end up with the deficit needed for your goal.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

It seems to be a consistent problem which is why I asked. On rest days I go over but I figure that will happen but this week the other 5 days have been under.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is because the zone (being under, in it or above) shown is for that moment only, without taking into account the rest of the day. So if you check if you are in the zone at 20:00, it does not take into account the calories you are going to burn for the last 4 hours of that day. Not even the ones for being sedentary.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

hey @SunsetRunner for me I never look if I am in the zone or not because to Esya's point it changes through out the day. It doesn't stop until midnight and the counter starts over again. I have a range that I fall into by the end of the day - sum total of all food. That total for me is always under even on rest days. That works for me to manage my weight.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner I just stick with a set calorie intake everyday. I pay zero attention to fitbits zones. Maybe just take note of ur weekly calorie burn over the next month then set ur daily calorie consumption from there. Some days you'll be up and others under. It makes little difference as long as it balances over the course of the week 

Best Answer

Because of my thyroid issues I have such a hard time with weight-loss and just get discouraged really easily since it can take so many months to even start losing. So the calories it says that I have left to eat in the morning before I have logged anything 1,538 is that how many I am meant to eat daily? I have set my plan for slow weight-loss just because my metabolism goes into starvation mode at the drop of a hat.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I will try that and see how it works out 😃 Do you find the fitbit calorie estimates for exercise to be accurate? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No. My Fitbit overestimates by at least 15%. Others can be more and apparently those without a heart rate monitor underestimate. It's a trial and error base I'm afraid. You'll need to adjust and readjust till you get it right

Best Answer