Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Fitbit Calories and MyFitnessPal calories

ANSWERED

I just wondered why there's such a discrepancy between Fitbit and My Fitness Pal regarding how many calories I'm allowed a day. The calorie goal on Fitbit is much higher. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity. 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@bjstring wrote:

I just wondered why there's such a discrepancy between Fitbit and My Fitness Pal regarding how many calories I'm allowed a day. The calorie goal on Fitbit is MUCH higher. 

@bjstring

That's part of the plan to make you crazy.

Just kidding!  I'm thinking Fitbit is picking up on your activity level and increasing your goal correspondingly.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

@bjstring wrote:

I just wondered why there's such a discrepancy between Fitbit and My Fitness Pal regarding how many calories I'm allowed a day. The calorie goal on Fitbit is MUCH higher. 

@bjstring

That's part of the plan to make you crazy.

Just kidding!  I'm thinking Fitbit is picking up on your activity level and increasing your goal correspondingly.

Best Answer

We just got The Mirror, and I’ve been working out for about a week using Mirror workouts and a Polar HR monitor. The Mirror calorie count is about 2.5 times that of the Charge 3. The HR using the Polar is also much higher. Anyone else having this experience? I’ve had the Charge e for a couple of years and am now wondering if it’s been grossly underestimating my calorie count the whole time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Because on MFP YOU are guessing from 4 rough daily activity levels no exercise included - right or wrong.

Fitbit is on you watching your actual daily movement and adjusting between easily a 1000 different levels for what you actually do.

On MFP you are supposed to log when you do exercise (when used alone without a tracker) so you can correctly eat more when you do more.

Fitbit already is including that exercise when done in your adjusted eating goal.

But if you have accounts synced - guess what MFP is correcting itself to - the better daily burn estimate from Fitbit and bypassing your guess.

And if both are set to say a 500 calorie deficit to lose 1 lb weekly (and on MFP you actually had the space for that deficit before hitting 1200 minimum) - they both will end up being the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My numbers are never the same.

Fitbit always says I can eat approximately  500 less then what my fitness pal says.

Yes they are both set to the same goal to lost 2 lbs a week. 

I dont think it has anything to do with it ( it doesnt count anything as double exercise but if it did my calories would be through the roof and it'd be noticeable) but I even wear the two trackers I own on the same day is how I know the calories are different. One is a garmin.

I know myfitnesspal uses another formula but you'd think they'd be the same.

I never know which to listen to. I always just guess or eat somewhere in between those numbers to be safer.

Best Answer
0 Votes