Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i trust calorie intake?

Hello

I'm on day 2 of having my charge 2 and I'm worried at how many calories it says I've burned.  I fully understand it shows BMR however I feel like the other calories I have burned are excessive and I am worried to eat them back if that makes sense.

So the previous history thinks my BMR is 1600. And today the dashboard thinks I've burned 3322 cals (20k steps, 7.7miles) 

I have set a 1000 cal defecit so I can still eat over just over 2000 cals. 

This just doesn't seem right. Have I misunderstood or is the cals burned just overdone. Should I use just maybe use half of them? What have other people experienced...?

Thanks in advance 

Karen 

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

@xSpecialK88x - HR trackers can be a little high (I suspect sometimes fitness levels may make it better or worse).  I found the longer I tracked weight loss compared to deficit the closer it came to 10% off for me.  Anyway, let's take a couple of numbers:

15% too high - actually 2889 calories

10% too high - actually 3020 calories

You said you've seen your BMR at 1600.  How much weight (roughly) do you have to lose?  If it's a lot, then try eating 2889-1000 = 1889 for 4-6 weeks and see how it goes.  If you don't have a lot to lose, then try eating 3020-1000=2020 for the same period of time.  In the end it's probably somewhere in between.  There's really not a lot of difference between the two actually.  About a large apple really.  Woman Happy

When I get to my last 20-30 pounds I'm going to reset my weight to where I want to be and eat at maintenance levels (ie. all the calories I burn) as I've seen it suggested but I still have too much weight to lose to try it.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for quick reply. I'm looking to lose 2 stone to start with. And possibly 1 more to reach target weight. 

So would you say if I take a quarter of calories burned off I will be safe to eat the rest? It almost seems to good to be true....

I suppose the real test will be on days where I've not been so active. 

Do you use the 15% rule? Is it pretty accurate with weight losses? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

All numbers are an average, and nobody is going to match exactly.  I always think that its a good idea just to pick a strategy and go with it for at least a month and then adjust.  In my case I did something very different because I had a lot to lose.  However, when counting calories I ended up about 15% under.  It worked very well for me.  Now I'm in a much slower phase of my weight loss (on purpose) and I don't log my food, although I do still mentally add stuff up from time to time.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes