Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't lose weight and trying hard

ANSWERED

I had Zumba class Thursday, Hula Hooping class Friday, rode my bike on Saturday, climbed stairs for 30 minutes on Sunday, counted calories all week and still can't lose weight.  

I'm so frustrated.  

Best Answer
131 REPLIES 131

The bottom line is that you have to go with the diet that is sustainable for you.  There's no point in starving yourself to get down to a certain weight if it's not going to stay off.  It took me 30 years of yo-yo dieting to figure that out.  I've lost considerable amounts of weight numerous times.  Richard Simmons Deal-A-Meal.  Seattle Sutton meals.  Meal replacement shakes.  Phen-fen.  They all worked, but did damage along the way - the DAM and Seattle Sutton foods were way too low in fat and way too high in carbohydrate.  The meal replacement shakes were like a band-aid on a gaping wound - worked for a while, but how long can one subsist on liquid calories.  And the ingredients of those shakes are horrible for you.  And I was starving all.the.time. 

Phen-fen was the worst - it effectively curbed my appetite, but a lot of people sustained permanent heart damage and/or ended up dead because of the medication.  When the FDA cracked down on Phen-fen I had an echocardiogram done and thankfully I didn't have any heart damage.

With the foods that I currently eat, I stay full for hours.  I rarely feel the need to snack, and I only eat 2 meals a day.  Not because I'm trying to cut back on calories, but because I only eat when I'm hungry. I'm not currently logging foods, but I did log for several years.  Calorie-wise, at my highest weight, I was losing at 2500 calories per day.  Now I have to stay at or below 1950 calories.  That number will go down as I continue to lose weight and as I age.  For every year you get older, your calorie requirements drop by about 7 calories. 

You don't have to cut fruit out completely, just cut back.  The few times I've eaten fruit I've chosen low sugar fruits:  strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries. And I always paired it with a fat - cream or full fat greek yogurt with the berries.  A third of an apple with some really sharp cheddar cheese or a tablespoon of all-natural almond or peanut butter.  Every once in a while I crave bananas, so I'll eat a half of a banana dipped in a mixture of all-natural almond butter, unsweetened coconut flakes and pumpkin pie spice.

Personally, I would never go on a statin, regardless of my numbers.  I have a genetic predisposition to diabetes, and statin use increases your risk of developing diabetes.  A good book for learning about cholesterol is Cholesterol Clarity by Jimmy Moore.  Dr. Peter Attia also has a great blog that delves into cholesterol and its all-important role in maintaining health.

One thing that successful dieters (who have lost and kept the weight off for years) have in common is that they eat a diet low in processed foods and high in whole, unprocessed foods.  A few good books that highlight the damage caused by diets that are high in processed foods are:

1.  The Big Fat Surprise:  Why Butter Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet, by Nina Teicholz

2.  Salt, Sugar, Fat:  How the Food Giants Hooked Us, by Michael Moss

3.  Death by Food Pyramid, by Denise Minger

If you're interested in looking into the paleo diet, a good book is Practical Paleo, by Diane Sanfilippo.  The Whole30 website is also a good resource.  Mark Sisson's website, Mark's Daily Apple, is very informative.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous posts about fats and heart health is that Vitamin K2 is super important.  It's different from the Vitamin K supplements or the Vitamin K found in vegetables.  The best source are pastured eggs, meats and dairy (preferably from grass-fed cows).  Vitamin K2 shunts dietary calcium into the bones and teeth, where it belongs.  A diet that is deficient in Vit. K2 results in calcium being shunted away from the bones & teeth and into the arteries - calcification of the arteries is a serious cardiovascular issue.  http://chriskresser.com/vitamin-k2-the-missing-nutrient/

Good luck in whatever path you choose!

Best Answer

@KJScarp wrote:

For some reason the second brand of yogurt that I buy was changed in my last post.  It's the brand pronounced "Fa-yeh".

If a word, even if it's legitimate, so much as contains another word that a 4-year-old wouldn't be allowed to say, then it is automatically replaced with "ahem."

So the same thing happens when you type a certain kind of mushrooms.

As in **ahem**ake mushrooms.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

I have managed to lose about 15kgs over the past 12 months. But at times I have also felt disheartened by some periods of time when there seems to have been a lack of weight loss. But then my 'good coach' train of thought tells me two things; 1/ It had taken me 44 years to get to the size/shape where I become unhappy with myself, so I need to realize that it could take a little while to get to the size/weight I would like to be at. 2/ Go on to the Internet and see what a physical size of 1lb or 5lb of fat looks like. If that is not a great way to feel good about the progress you make then I am not sure what else would. 3/ (I lied, there are three things Smiley Happy) As well as looking at your diet, if you have significantly changed your levels of activity, then as well as building up muscles, your fitness levels will have increased.

Good luck with your quest, and try not to freeze too much in Illonois, I can appreciate how cold it gets as I was in Wisconsin in Nov/Dec, and my it was cold. I am glad to be back in the UK, but its cold here too Smiley Surprised, kind regards Ron

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the reality check, Ron. It definitely has taken me 10 years to
get to this weight and, of course, I want it off by tomorrow. ha ha.

Yes, it is cold here in Illinois right now. In fact, by Monday, it will be
1 degree Fahrenheit. Luckily, I do most of my exercising inside. Also, my
biggest hurdle is my addiction to sugar. I am tapering that off too and
I'm starting to notice a difference.

Thanks, again.
Lori Smerz
*Get Your Hoop On!*
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm working out.. 1.5 to 2 hours 4 to 5 times a week. I ride my bike everywhere.  I'm eating healthy but cutting calories. I keep my intake at 1000 calories or below and I can't seem to lose any weight. In fact I seem to be gaining. So I cut back more. There are days I eat 500 to 600 calories...It's making me crazy. What's wrong..help

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sounds like you are putting your body into starvation/ stress mode. So,
your body may be holding onto those calories in order to keep performing at
the level that you are trying to perform. Thus, you may be burning lean
muscle for energy and not fat.

Try switching your eating to every 2 -3 hours, meal, snack, meal, snack,
meal, snack. This will keep your metabolism and blood sugar in an even
keel. Your snacks should be meaningful- string cheese, nuts, fruits,
veggies, yogurt. Also, consider adding broth to one of your meals each
day.

Good luck and trust me. I feel your pain. I just spent the past 3 days in
lots of activity- indoor rock climbing, stair climbing, hula hooping and
trampolining and I probably gained weight.

Lori Smerz
*Get Your Hoop On!*
Best Answer

My brain won't except that. Less food should be more weight loss, along with more physical movement.  I get sick when I eat even a small meal. A half of apple fills me up. It's really stressful

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Breezyspirit wrote:

My brain won't except that. Less food should be more weight loss, along with more physical movement.  I get sick when I eat even a small meal. A half of apple fills me up. It's really stressful

Less food should equal more weight loss.  But that's assuming your body operates at the same level no matter what your input.  And it doesn't.

If you expect it to perform 1.5 - 2 hours of cardio every day on 500-600 calories, it will start to shut down processes that it has evolved to view as less necessary in order to preserve vital functions like breathing and blood flow to the brain.  It will also start to canibalize muscle mass, which means you are burning even fewer calories while at rest, not to mention when you're attempting to work out.

So if you go below a minimum level of calories for more than a few days and your output is high (like hours of cardio is), you end up not losing fat.  If you cut calories even further because you think it must not be enough, you make the situation even worse and it ends up a downward spiral until you either get sick or do what the majority of people do, which is throw your hands up in the air, decide you're incapable of losing weight, and go on a binge.  Then start the whole cycle all over again.

Increase your calories to a reasonable amount, which will likely be closer to the 1200 per day range. That's what you have a FitBit for - follow what it says at a reasonable caloric deficit, which will probably be around 500 calories below your activity level.  Lower your cardio sessions to somewhere around 30-60 minutes every other day, then just be more active on the off days (like walking or cycling to work or low intensity yoga - you get the idea).  Give your body a little bit of time to adjust and get out of its protective mode and you might see some results.

FitBit One
Best Answer

@Breezyspirit wrote:

Based on my current research, there is an odd thing that happens in the body.  If you eat throughout the day, even with calorie restriction you body adpats from a metabolic standpoint.  If you fast and get the body into the fat burning mode, the metabolism actually increases.  Muscle loss occurs when consistently underfed, but does not during short term fasting. 

Also, what you eat can affect things.  Carbs trigger a very high insulin response.  Insulin is what stores fat.  Fiber is a protective factor in carbs, so eating high fiber carbs causes a lower insulin response.  Protein also causes a high insulin response, but fat counters it.  Vinegar also adds a protective factor, so drink a couple of tablespoons (diluted) before a meal. 

Go here and read about hormonal obesity.  It's a long series, but I think you'll learn a great deal:  https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/historic-perspective-obesity-hormonal-obesity-1/

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

@Breezyspirit wrote:

It's really stressful

This may be part of the problem too.  Excessive cardio and stressing over not loosing can dramatically increase cortisol in your system.  Corisol will prevent fat loss.  Take Ravi's recommendations and cut down on the cardio, increase calories and then add some HIIT twice a week.  Add to this some meditation and time to just destress each day.

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

I'm not just doing cardio. I do cardo for 30 to 45 mins and then lift weights. I also throw in piyo classes and tabata. twice a week. Plus I don't really seem hungry. I'm not taking any appetite suppressants just vitamins ....I drink lots of water too...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do wear a helmet

Best Answer
0 Votes

Breezyspirit

What’s your weight and height if I may ask.

Best Answer

I'm 5'7" and 158...

Best Answer

@Breezyspirit wrote:

I'm not just doing cardio. I do cardo for 30 to 45 mins and then lift weights. I also throw in piyo classes and tabata. twice a week. Plus I don't really seem hungry. I'm not taking any appetite suppressants just vitamins ....I drink lots of water too...

Fair enough.  What's your overall stress level?  I've recently been learning to meditate and my heart rate is often in the low 50's immediately following.  From an exercise view point, you're doing things right.  We should look at your diet.  Not the calories, but the type of food you are eating.  I have recently adopted a Low Carb, High Fat diet.  It has only whole foods.  I try not to eat anything that comes in a package.  I also avoid grains, sticking with high fiber veggies with some type of meat.

― Isaac Asimov

― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer

You are my height and much less weight. 

When comes to weigh, what's the number you have in mind? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Breezyspirit wrote:

I do wear a helmet

That's just my signature line because I've had multiple head injuries, not aimed at you.  No worries.

FitBit One
Best Answer
0 Votes

About 145.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I really don't do stress. i can keep my heart rate low and as far as food I eat well. I'm a vegetarian. I eat a lot of freah fruit and veggies. I eat healthy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you only have 13 pounds to lose to get to your goal, then you definitely should up your calories, especially if you are trying to build muscle.  If you can build more muscle, then you will appear leaner without even dropping a pound.  

I do think 145 is a good, realistic goal, though.  I just feel like restricting your calories so much is the wrong way to go about it.  You're not going to get the results you want, and it's going to stress out your body anyway, which will cause it to not work right and make things even worse in the long run.

FitBit One
Best Answer
0 Votes