Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't lose weight

ANSWERED

I started using the fitbit in March . Had weight of 243 . Now I walk and excersize which I never did before . Try everyday to beat wife at steps. In three months I gained 7 pounds go figure . What do you do to lose it .

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Simply - eat less. You must be in caloric deficit to lose weight. Gaining weight means that you are in caloric surplus - eating too much, burning not enough. You mentioned only exercising and this isn't enough if you want to lose weight (you said nothing about your diet). You may lose weight just by diet (without exercising) but it is nearly impossible the other way around.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Simply - eat less. You must be in caloric deficit to lose weight. Gaining weight means that you are in caloric surplus - eating too much, burning not enough. You mentioned only exercising and this isn't enough if you want to lose weight (you said nothing about your diet). You may lose weight just by diet (without exercising) but it is nearly impossible the other way around.

Best Answer

I am totally agree with you because I manage my weight by eating less and doing one my favourite exercise Zottman-Curl

Best Answer
0 Votes

T. Parker,  I had to log in with a password just to give you a vote.  You would have more responses and votes if Fitbit  didn't make it so hard.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

You don't mention your age, but I think it might be part of the issue. I'm 64 and it seems impossible to lose weight. I workout 7 days a week, 4 days of road cycling with a minimum of 20 miles each ride, 3 days a week of 45 minute weight lifting. Recording all foods in the lose it app. Weight won't budge and still trying to lose about 15 to 20lbs. I'm consistently 1000 calories under every day. Gets frustrating but maybe there's a genetic set point that won't budge.

At least I'm in pretty good shape!

Keep up the great work!

David 

Best Answer

Exercise is critical for good health but doesn't help you to lose weight .  You must eat fewer calories.  Cut out the sugar, stuff made of flour, high fat items that may be considered healthy, like salty almonds,  and hight fat diary, and you will lose weight fast.   Exercise less if necessary to eat less but don't depend on "calories burned" to allow you to eat lots.  It doesn't work.  

Best Answer

Hi Glenda, I think you're right. I've been looking at this as a 'calories in, calories out' problem and although have made a lot of improvement in my diet (incorporating more veg and fruit) I've not been as watchful in the quality of calories. I'll start focusing! 

Thanks!

David 

Best Answer

David,  You could google for the number of calories  for your age, gender, height, and put active if you must, but all the people on the 600 pound life TV show eat 1200 calories a day.  They must use lots of calories to carry all that weight every step they take.   They don't get to eat more though. 

Best Answer

Thanks Julia. Yes, it gets frustrating but I'm not stopping! I do keep checking meetup for any groups of similar interests,; cycling, meditation, hobbies, etc., Since covid there doesn't seem to be much. So support wise I'm on my own. Thanks for the encouragement!

David 

Best Answer

I am 66. By the time I had reached 64 I hit my high weight of 215. I did do some walking, but paid no attention to my eating and my water intake. I now drink 10-12 glasses of water a day. It helps in many ways, one is that I eat less with that much water intake. Drink a glass before a meal, when you feel like snacking, driink a glass of water or have an herbal tea. And honestly log your food intake. I had been GROSSLY underestimating the number of calories I was eating. Measure or weigh portions until you get pretty good at estimating. Over the last 1.5 years, I've managed to lose 50 lbs., now at 165 and I feel great. I can walk a 10 K in 90 minutes which I do several times a week. Don't give up, you can do it!

SBNash806

Best Answer

Also pay attention to what you eat. A large plate of pasta for dinner is not a balanced meal.

Losing weight and seeing progress can take time, and it is easy to underestimate how hard you have to work to lose weight with exercise alone.

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer
0 Votes