Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't stop binging :-(

I keep losing weight on fitbit and then ruining it all by binging and putting it all right back on again. I I could stop binging then I would be able to lose this weight. I'm so annoyed with myself right now. I lost 3lb this week, felt great, yet this evening I ate my own body weight in food. I seem to only be able to go about 2 weeks without a binge. I'm just stuck in this cycle. I can't remember a time when I've eaten normally, when I haven't binged. It's all I've every known and I want to stop so much. Does anyone else have this problem. I've just had enough. I know that it's really bad for me, it makes me feel awful, yet I can't stop doing it. I just don't know what to do anymore 😞
Maddison
Best Answer
31 REPLIES 31

If I am bad in the morning I am bad all day.  I know we should try and spread calories, but I have to skimp on breakfast and lunch otherwise I eat double my calories it's like the more I eat the more I can't stop.

I also know if I am good all week I can ruin it with one trip to get a pizza.  I almost hate going out with friends because I can't control myself.

Best Answer
Thanks...I'm glad I'm not alone. I have the most dysfunctional relationship with food. I have no control over it and I feel like I'm addicted to binging. I want to change but every time I go back to the binging again within a couple of weeks 😞
Maddison
Best Answer
0 Votes

I feel your pain, as I am the same way. I joined WW and lost 43 pounds 2 years ago. I have gained it all but 8 pounds back. COMPLETELY DISGUSTED with myself !  Why ? Why ? Why ? For me, I believe eating/weight loss is a total head-thing. I get "burn more than you take in", but I don't seem to view food simply as fuel for my body as much as I try.

Let me know if you have an epiphany in this area and I will do the same  🐵

Best Answer
You just have to decide when you are really ready to stop yourself. No one can give you a magic answer, only you can. You have to look at yourself long and hard and just do it. I could never get beyond it, and always ate it back on. I am now down 80lbs with 65 to go. I know I have to get my head in the right place and that I can't give myself a magic month or date to loose weight by--it never works. I started and truly saw at least a year--this made it real. Sure I want to eat like everyone else--but the benefits of not carting around those 80lbs well outweigh the binging. You have to say "This is for me, and it has to finally stop!" Good luck---don't give up on yourself!
Best Answer

Maybe overeaters anoymous can help.   www.oa.org

Best Answer

I am struggling with the binging as well. I am horrible at night. It is crazy that I am allowing myself to do this over and over again! 

Best Answer

EdinburghLass, this lack of control is my achilles heel too. I don't really understand why I let myself sabotage a few days/week of good work but I do. Things that have worked for me include physically removing myself from the kitchen area, not staying up late (the longer I'm out of bed the more time I have to binge and the weaker my will to resist) and most importantly, when I have had a good run of balancing eating and exercising I feel really great, mentally and physically and I try very hard to remind myself of that when I'm on the verge of eating badly. When weakness is about to strike I really stop and say to myself 'think how this will make you feel almost immediately after eating poorly' and also 'I've done so well so far, don't give in now'. And truth be told once I get on a really good jag these techniques do work and every little reduction I see on the scale I think 'yay me, you can do it'. And success breeds success.

Best Answer
Thanks everyone...it's good to know I'm not alone. I did read somewhere that you should ask yourself if you would eat something high in protein when you are craving things. So if you really want some cake ask yourself if you are hungry for scrambled egg or fish etc. if the answer is no then it is just cravings/emotional hunger. I you were really physically hungry then you would want scrambled egg/fish just as much as cake! The thing is...I hardly ever have time to stop and think before I act. I don't keep binge foods in the house but last night I was in the car and on my way to the shop without even thinking about it. Came home with so much junk food that I made myself feel sick and disgusting...wondering why I'd done it. I hadn't had a bad day, nothing particularly wrong...so how did I find myself in the bakery section of the supermarket with very little decision making required??!! I just don't get it!
Maddison
Best Answer

When I feel that way because of all the calorie burn, I turn up the protein big time and drink tons of water! Try it!  Also try air popped popcorn with all the fiber at night!  I have problems getting very hungry depending on how much I burn - which is quite a bit lately - good luck!  Vitamins too!!!

@EdinburghLass wrote:
I keep losing weight on fitbit and then ruining it all by binging and putting it all right back on again. I I could stop binging then I would be able to lose this weight. I'm so annoyed with myself right now. I lost 3lb this week, felt great, yet this evening I ate my own body weight in food. I seem to only be able to go about 2 weeks without a binge. I'm just stuck in this cycle. I can't remember a time when I've eaten normally, when I haven't binged. It's all I've every known and I want to stop so much. Does anyone else have this problem. I've just had enough. I know that it's really bad for me, it makes me feel awful, yet I can't stop doing it. I just don't know what to do anymore 😞

Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer

You can do this!!!!  Don't give up!!!! - Your body is lacking nutrients!

@EdinburghLass wrote:

Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer

Its a common problem......very, very common.  

It might be worth discussing the issue with your Dr and getting a referral to a dietician.  You say you lost 3lbs last a week, if you did this by cutting down or carbs or fat  it might be you are sabottaging your efforts by cutting something your body really craves. A dietician should be able to work with you to find an eating plan that leaves you feeling satisfied and not so liable to resort to bingeing (by making sure you get enough of what your body wants).    

Best Answer

Well this week all that I did was stick to the fitbit cals and steps...just eating a normal diet really, rather than binging. I'm not sure a dietician would help much to be honest, but thanks for the suggestion. I know quite a bit about food/cals/protein/carbs etc. I know what I should be eating! The problem is sticking to it! It's an emotional thing. I binge so I can feel numb and deal with the pressures of life...the same way others have a drink/cigarette etc. I need to find another way of dealing with things. 

Maddison
Best Answer
0 Votes

I know when I binge the most it's a long thought process.  I debate and debate and end up still doing it.  I know that it really helps to avoid triggers.  One being I always ate two dinners one on the way home from work and one later that night.  I try and avoid driving by fastfood or gas stations, I also try and make phone calls on the way home so my mind and my body are distracted from the triggers of the drive through.  So I know when I am triggered to binge and I try to occupy myself with something else.  I still fail sometimes at gatherings, but really I was binging everyday and gaining and gaining, now that I am loosing I don't try to do it fast all at once, and I am not saying no to any food at all, I am just keeping to my calorie guidelines and making sure I get as close as I can to my steps, if I don't make my steps I don't eat extra.  I still have one day a week that always seems to go over but during the week I have been lower so it evens out.  Like I said earlier I can't eat big in the morning because I can't stop.  I am also not focused on only healthy and raw foods, I am making what I like and trying to reduce the calories or finding things that fill me that make meals heartier with out being calorie laden, i.e. I cut up zucchini and put it in all my pasta dishes and chili's and soup.  Not many calories but it makes it more filling with out changing the taste.  As I go I have incorporated more healthy foods, but my first battle was to get down the calories and step up the exercise.  I got so defeated reading about how every food I liked was bad, I now avoid that and start adding veggies and fruits and making my meals better and more filling.  It's a baby step process, and I have been sticking to it, because I am not changing it as much as I used to when I failed every time.

Recap: Busy yourself when you think you might binge

Don't say not to foods, but find healthy ingredients to make them more filling with out the calories.

Best Answer
Thanks, yes...I think my most common binge times are Friday eve (after long week) and then weekend. I'm generally ok during the week. I will take on your advice re keeping busy. Thanks x
Maddison
Best Answer

You might be lucky and get a dietician that gives you an insight or advice that makes 'the difference'.  As i get older I'm getting to be big on asking 'experts' for advice.  I don't always take it, but sometimes someone with the right experience and knowledge can say something that turns on a mental light bulb. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hesitate to get involved in this discussion.  I have suffered for decades with this.  It is a very serious problem that nearly killed me more than once.  As a result I have turned around and become an activist in the field of eating disorders. I am the only person I know of that is speaking out in this manner and is 100% dedicated to what I am doing.  I have met others but they seem to back out and are not committed.  No, I am not at all overweight, and it is not becoming overweight that is the danger of which I am speaking.  However, I have suffered with massive binges (quantity-wise) and I do not throw up.  It is the binge eating itself that is the danger. I am a writer, have written a few books, and I have a master's degree but not in the field of medicine or anything related (thankfully).

No way is the textbook version of "binge eating disorder," that is, what medical students and psychologists and the like learning about at all correct. We sufferers are the ones that should know.  The DSM, that is, the Diagnositics and Statistical Manual, now in its fifth version that now includes binge eating disorder, sadly, has got it all wrong. Medical science is doing us a disservice. The statement that binge eating is "highly treatable" is so untrue!  Otherwise, this thread on this forum wouldn't even be in existence.  Ever try to tell a doctor about this problem and feel like these folks just don't "get it"? That they can't help? Then you know what I mean.  I can't post contact info but sure would like to know if others agree.

Best Answer

Oh @EdinburghLass --  I am right there with you!!  Why do we sabotage ourselves?!  I know what I need to do but just can't stop.  So frustrating.  

Best Answer

the recovery group part of OA has meetings online and loops that send mail to your inbox.

http://www.therecoverygroup.org/trg.html

Sometimes talking someone else down can help you as well.

I've dealt with this since I was a kid, I am in a phase of doing great right now.  

Inga
Best Answer
Thanks...is over eaters anonymous available in the uk? I will have a look online. I'm now 3 days without binging so doing ok at the moment. Met my fitbit goals each day too. Today I allowed myself a bar of chocolate as part of my fitbit cals and I didn't then go and buy more...which is what usually happens if I'm feeling low...one square of chocolate and that's it..let the binge commence!! But I was feeling strong today and managed to have chocolate and not binge, which is a huge achievement! It's such hard work though! I've had to occupy myself with things all weekend to stop me binging. If anything, it has shown me how much time I actually waste on binging when I could be doing other things!
Maddison
Best Answer