Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completely turn your eating habits upside down?

Is there a way to delete a post? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

Take my opinion with a grain of salt -- after all, I am just an anonymous voice on the internet and not qualified to offer this kind of advice.

My advice is to consult with experts but don't abdicate to them.  You are ultimately responsible for your own health and well-being.  You have no obligation to accept 100% of any trainer's recommendations -- you can take what works for you and ignore the rest.  Remember, you're the customer and you're paying the bill.  If you don't have personal rapport, you can ask for a replacement or even a prorated refund for unused sessions.  

Also, keep in mind that trainers in gyms, while ethical, knowledgeable, and well-meaning, are typically not experts in counseling pre-diabetics.  I'd trust your doctor and your own research first.

And, if you ask the same questions about food to different people, you will get different answers.  It is your responsibility to filter out the noise, weigh the conflicting views, and come to your own conclusions.  

There is plenty of nutritional information available to pre-diabetics so you can create the variety in your meals you prefer.

As someone who has been pre-diabetic for years, and with a family history of diabetes, here is what I think is most important to do:  (1) learn about diabetes, (2) track your numbers, (3) lose ALL excess weight and keep it off, and (4) avoid sugar and processed carbs.  Doesn't mean you can never have another donut and if you lose the weight, you'll have more latitude.

Best Answer

Stick to the diet he gave you. It looks like he's got you on a detox, which is probably why you felt nauseated and weak. It will pass. After the detox, you will be able to eat more of a variety of vegetables and some meats. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

WheresTheBeef

Best Answer
0 Votes

If I los 10 kg more I`ll be within normal BMI weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes

The trainer's original plan is actually pretty close to what I'm doing with my trainer. This trainer has a really good reputation from locals who have worked with him. Week 1 is the detox phase. People who have 50 or more pounds to lose do the detox phase for 2 weeks. The detox phase consists of only green vegetables for carbs. Chicken breast, brown turkey breast, egg whites, and white fish for protein. Avocado, peanut butter, olive oil, raw nuts, coconut oil, and flaxseed oil for fat. The meal plan consists of eating protein, carbs, and fat every 2-3 hours. Meal 1, protein shake, meal 2, protein shake, meal 3, and then a laxative tea to help cleanse the colon. We're not even counting calories. He told us to eat 3 ounces of protein, 3 ounces of carbs, and 1 ounce of fat for women per meal. Next week we are allowed to have more vegetables and more types of meats. It's working because I've lost 7 pounds in 4 days. It wasn't a big change to the way I was eating before either. Some minor adjustments and the weight started falling off. You did say you convinced him to increase the calorie intake so I think he's trying to ease you into the plan that was originally given. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kwaasen wrote:

I probably shold have mentioned this. (As a Norwgian I worry a lot about being boastful)

My doctor hasn`t bothere with weigh ins because my blood suger counts have had a nice improvment every time (3 month checks)

I will probably stop using my medications in the autumn as my blood suger numbers are within normal again.

None of my pants from last year fit anymore and I`ve dropped 1 pants size since May.

If I los 10 kg more I`ll be within normal BMI weight.

My idea was to use another year to achive this.

PS

My PT is very focused on leg workouts because the potensial increase in mdtabolisme. Even if my legs are so strong he constantly underestimate them. When doing leg press he started med on 30 kg and we ended at 50, but only because we were running out of time.I didn`t really feel the burn)

On the other hand, my abs are my weakness and it took some pestering before he agreed to work on those every session. But tried to convince me it wasn`t good use of the time as that wouldn`t do much to increase my overall calorie burn.

I told him my masseuse is unhappy with the tensions in my lower back and asked if he didn`t think he a PT should help a client with her weaknesses. That was when he gave in.

(Know I cannot burn fat on my belly by with this. I do, however belive in the inner corset for better core health)

I hate to sound so blunt, but it really sounds like you are fighting your trainer every step of the way. You paid him to help you and you are refusing his help by complaining about his suggestions. If you did not need the help you wouldn't have come to him in the first place. Based on what you're saying he is telling you, I agree with him. Just because you're not doing a core workout doesn't mean you aren't working the core muscles. I'm assuming he's giving you a variety of exercises for the week. So what if your masseuse is not happy. The masseuse is not the trainer. He can't do his job if you're fighting him every step of the way.

Best Answer
0 Votes

WheresTheBeef

You`re talking about 1-2 weeks, I`m in for 6-8.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wait...you didn't tell him your goals?

Best Answer
0 Votes

No. He neither asked nor gave me the opportunity to tell him. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

He should have at least known about your personal goals before getting started. I'm still unclear about what your goals are, but if it involves weight loss, I still agree with the diet he originally gave you. Every time you see him you have an opportunity to say something. If he's one of those types that talk over people, tell him you're not going any further until he explains to you about whatever the issue is or concern. He is there to teach you. I'm sure he's not going to get all technical about it, but he should at least give you a summarized explanation. You can request another trainer if one is available. Express your concerns to the manager. It really doesn't do any good to keep doing something that you don't understand.

Best Answer

Totally agree with WheresTheBeef -- it makes no sense to pursue a course of action you don't understand, and your trainer should be able to explain and get your buy-in before asking you to comply. 

Sounds like you are on the right track in taking action to address your pre-diabetes!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am happy to report that my PT has agreed to help me with cardio and core as I want!

Best Answer
0 Votes