Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discrepancy in no. calories logged during and after Fitbit app workout

When using the Fitbit App in app workouts, the app displays a different total calories burned than when the workout finishes and logs the workout. For example, toward the end of a workout the in app screen displays calories burned of 320 but once the workout is logged in the app it reflects 161 calories burned. Wondering why the calories are much less once the app logs the workout, than while inside the workout?

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi, @Beckawheeze welcome to the community. This is an interesting question, I always assumed that as the BMR is a total for 24 hrs then if I spend an hour exercising to achieve the recorded "Burn" it has to be discounted for 1/24th of the BMR or double counting will occur. You may find this thread offers another explanation  why does it subtract calories allowed when I work ... - Fitbit Community  

I'm going to move this post over to the Health & Wellness - manage Weight board where I know other community members, more experienced than I am may have a clearer explanation.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK
AWAKE! for morning in the bowl of light has cast the stone that set the stars to flight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Beckawheeze, both figures are correct. The 320 calories in your example is the total calories burned during the period of time; and the 161 reflects the calories burned directly from the exercise. In other words, if you were not exercising, you would have burned 159 calories; the exercise added 161 extra calories burned, totaling 320. 

When you wake up in the morning, check your Fitbit app - even though you were asleep, you will notice calories already burned for the day. For me, it’s around 500 or so. We are constantly burning calories simply by staying alive 😊. and when we exercise, we generate two “totals”: the exercise total, and the exercise+metabolism totals. 

Hope this helps!

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer