Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to eat more caloric foods the more I exercise?

This probably sounds like the total opposity of what I should be doing, but so far I've only 

Burned: 2540 calories
Eaten: 1115 calories (I had an 8 ounce of 1% milk, a Chobani Greek Yoguty for breakfast, and for lunch I had 2 packages of Chicken Ramen. I did drink the remainder of a Pepsi 1 1/2 leader, but it told me that was only 75 calories. I've drank almost 96 ounces of water, and I've also snacked on a few Capri tomotoes.)

It's telling me that I have a deficit of 860 calories - that that is too much. I am in the process of making supper for me and my kids, which is Tuna Helper, but instead of tuna, I used chicken.

Am I even on the right track?
Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

I sometimes have a hard time eating enough to hit my 1000 calorie deficit, but I do try.  I sometimes end the day with more calories to eat.  However, I try not to make it much more than 200-300 calories.  Looking at your food, definitely add some more calories.  However, and this is just a thought - a nice tossed and/or mixed vegetable salad and a small serving of what you're making your kids.  I'm not a milk/yogurt person, but I'd say good start with breakfast, the chicken ramen maybe wasn't the best choice for lunch.  Mainly because it's high in sodium (think retained water).

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was just trying to stay in my calories. I was thinking a can of potato soup that is a decent calorie count, even if I eat the entire can

Best Answer
0 Votes

I guess I am not sure what you are asking. Are you trying to lose weight? I think I would also be more concerned with the quality of food. The yogurt milk and tomato is OK, but the rest- not so much. If you are trying to lose weight you need to figure out what your TDEE is (I am not sure since you didn't give any reference to any exercise). From there figure out what a comfortable deficit is for you and eat the rest with nutritious, not processed food. There isn't any fruit, vegetable, grain or healthy fat mentioned. You need all that to keep your machine running efficiently- especially if you are trying to improve health and lose weight.. off my soapbox now. Everyone here is always happy to help. Check out the what's cooking discussion board to maybe get some meal ideas. Best, E.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I'm still working out the food part of this equation. I don't always know what I should be and what I should be eating. I never truly learned that.

Today I walked 16,178 steps/7.16 miles/I've burned 3,246

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CRSunrise wrote:

I'm still working out the food part of this equation. I don't always know what I should be and what I should be eating. I never truly learned that.

Today I walked 16,178 steps/7.16 miles/I've burned 3,246

The best source of information I've found about healthy eating is from Dr. McDougall. There are others in the same age group (69 and older) that recommend essentially the same diet. Aside from being healthy, it's inexpensive and easy to cook if you stay away from his wife's fancy recipes. I recommend reading his book "The Starch Solution." For those who don't like to read, they can watch his videos on YouTube.

He doesn't recommend calorie counting at all. He often makes the statement "You can eat all you want." Don't misinterpret this to mean "all you can eat" is acceptible. What he means is to eat to the point hunger is satisfied.

He is not big on large amounts of exercise. This is one area I disagree with him. However, you can get plenty of exercise taking care of three kids. In this phase of your life, it may be all you can do without neglecting other areas of your life.

Best Answer
0 Votes

General comment:

At some point following ramping up activity level, one will need to either increase the amount of food eaten or experience muscle loss.  

Best Answer

@shipo wrote:

At some point following ramping up activity level, one will need to either increase the amount of food eaten or experience muscle loss.  

Muscle is metabolically "expensive" to maintain, so if it’s not needed, it will tend to go (even if you eat a lot).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique wrote:

@shipo wrote:

Muscle is metabolically "expensive" to maintain, so if it’s not needed, it will tend to go (even if you eat a lot).

Sorry, gotta say it; given the context of this discussion that is a bizarre comment.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Comedian John Cleese is often quoted as saying, "Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely do not have any idea that they do not know what they are doing."

So, congratulations. You know enough to realize that you don't know what you're doing.

The body's metabolism is a complex thing. There's still a great deal to learn about what drives our metabolism. Recently, you might have read about how the Biggest Loser contestants leave that show having lost a great deal of weight - but their metabolisms have dropped by 1/3 of what they should be! 

So - when it comes to losing weight - we have to approach this with information. Discipline is great, but zeal without knowledge is a dangerous thing! 

What you eat, when it comes right down to it doesn't matter that much - but if you're eating Ramen, you're killing yourself. There is virtually nothing in that to help your body function - other than starch, which your body converts to sugar. If you must consume it - why have two packs? Let those noodles swell up - all you'll ever really need is 1 - and they get even bigger in your stomach, I promise! 

So, I would suggest this: 

When you're cooking for the family - measure everything that goes in the pot. Weigh it out before it goes in. Write it down and look up the caloric values when you're done. 

Portion the entire dish out in equal servings. 1 Cup, 2 cups, whatever it comes out to. Then, when you know what the volume of your batch is, count the servings, and then tally up the calories, using the internet to help you assess caloric values. Divide the total caloric values by the number of servings. 

When you eat from the batch, measure out 1 serving/portion or 2. Just know the caloric value per serving and multiply as needed. Log it on the fitbit site. Go to the log area and "create a food" or create a meal. 

Ideally, you'll want to divvy up the amount you're supposed to eat in calories by 5 or 6 portions through out the day. Eating smaller amounts, more often. And - don't worry about what each portion is - but you'll want to at some point consume some veggies, even if they do taste like humans shouldn't eat that stuff. 

Remember, if you're body can't absorb it - you're not really eating it, you're just carrying it around for a while. So, anything with Fiber is a good idea. 

And, lastly, if it tells you that you can eat more - you can either choose not to, or you could eat some more. If you're not hungry, don't. If you are hungry, go ahead. Just realize that the fitbit may overestimate your activity, and the food logging - that may be underestimated because the caloric values are never 100% accurate. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer
0 Votes